Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is BCM needed to run VATS on 99 T/A harness/PCM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is BCM needed to run VATS on 99 T/A harness/PCM?

In my swap, I'm using the engine/harness/PCM from a '99 T/A. For a small amount of added security, I'd like to leave VATS in the PCM and run a VATS bypass box that could be removed for security.

To do this, will I need to isntall the body control module (BCM), or can it be done without that?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think so. I was looking into the BCM also and the VATS system talks to the BCM. It also is the gateway to the passkey -the resistor in the key. You can bypass it and put in a kill switch though and the car will not even turn over.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
I don't think so. I was looking into the BCM also and the VATS system talks to the BCM. It also is the gateway to the passkey -the resistor in the key. You can bypass it and put in a kill switch though and the car will not even turn over.
So if VATS can be used without the BCM, what PCM terminal to I need to supply with a signal to make VATS happy? Does the VATS bypass box just need to feed into this PCM terminal and not even use the BCM?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have the steering column? An aftermarket security system may be less hassle.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by kst8engineer
So if VATS can be used without the BCM, what PCM terminal to I need to supply with a signal to make VATS happy? Does the VATS bypass box just need to feed into this PCM terminal and not even use the BCM?
You don't need the BCM. The VATS bypass box will have three wires, a ground, ignition on power, and the third wire goes to the PCM, (dark blue wire, #30 on the red PCM connector). I put a 3 terminal plug on mine so I could remove it too, been working for years.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
You don't need the BCM. The VATS bypass box will have three wires, a ground, ignition on power, and the third wire goes to the PCM, (dark blue wire, #30 on the red PCM connector). I put a 3 terminal plug on mine so I could remove it too, been working for years.
Great, thanks for the detailed response!

Quick Reply: Is BCM needed to run VATS on 99 T/A harness/PCM?