Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Older SBC In a 4th Gen

Old 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Older SBC In a 4th Gen

My dad is thinking about putting an older style Small Block into a 94 Z28 sort of like a NHRA Super Stocker.

Can anybody point us in the right direction for motor mounts, tranny mounts, builds or other stuff?

Any websites or companies to talk to would be great!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:53 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...y-specific-92/ Check out the SBC / BBC specific section, there should be some helpful threads in there.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering a 94 F-Body Z28 should be a Gen II SBC/LT1. Physically a Gen I and Gen II would be the same and can use the same mounts and should be a drop in as far as physically swapping the motor in. Of course you will have to deal with the SBC distribtor/Ign, electrical system and non-rev cooling system, but all of this is minor stuff as far as wiring up what you need and what is required.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Body
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-blo...y-specific-92/ Check out the SBC / BBC specific section, there should be some helpful threads in there.
Don't know how I missed that but thank you!

Originally Posted by bczee
Considering a 94 F-Body Z28 should be a Gen II SBC/LT1. Physically a Gen I and Gen II would be the same and can use the same mounts and should be a drop in as far as physically swapping the motor in. Of course you will have to deal with the SBC distribtor/Ign, electrical system and non-rev cooling system, but all of this is minor stuff as far as wiring up what you need and what is required.

I was not 100% sure if there were that close physically. I have see at the Super Chevy shows in the past guys doing some pretty bad hack jobs to deal with the carb clearance.

This should all be good information for him to see if he wants to move forward.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The motor mounts for the LT1 are not the same as the standard SBC. The cowl would probably have to be hacked to fit a carb on it.
Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

G-Body is correct, they are not like the early SBC type of mount, they use a clam shell type of mount that bolts to the K-member and a shell that bolts to the motor. Gen 3 F-Body also used the clam shell mounts also (or at lease my 84 does and I have put EnergySuspension poly insert into the clam/mount).

The Motor shell part still used the standard 3 bolt pattern on the engine that should accept either the clam shell or the sbc motor mount.

Yeah that carb to cowl clearnace is a problem that has been handled by many other that have done the swap.

You can also build some solid mounts with some flat steel and tubing, use the clam shell or some combination. You just have to be a littile creative.

Good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Older SBC In a 4th Gen