Sponsored by:

oil pan skid plate pics wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pan skid plate pics wanted

Hi guys

I have an lq4 in the 67 camaro with a cast aluminum fbody oil pan. Pan is about level with the bottom of the subframe crossmember.

Ive got 7" of ground clearance and was thinking of welding/bolting a 1/4" (or thicker) steel plate to the bottom of the subframe to cover/protect the pan

i already have the turbo drain bung welded in, so id hate to swap out the pan, but will if you guys tell me that a skid plate isnt optimal.

I actually had a cobalt pan crack on me, so maybe im more paranoid.

Wanted to get your opinions on the skid plate vs swapping to steel autokraft pan

Also was hoping that you guys could post any skid plates youve made to protect your oil pans

thanks guys!
Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Something I did to my last pan, as the CTS-V pan hangs low and the drain plug is in the rear. I welded a 1/4 x1 piece of flatbar on the bottom to act as a "slider" in case I ever bottom out or hit something on high center again. It doesn't take much at all to knock the back of the pan out if you hit the drain plug on something. It's happened to me twice even at 3" of clearance. I also just built a splitter that extends all the way to the front of the pan, it's just below the level of the pan, should act as a diverter at least to keep from hitting the front edge of the pan.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

thanks man. im looking at covering the whole pan, but i get your idea
Old 09-29-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah I know, but I thought I would share, are you on a stock subframe? FWIW, this is also in a 67 Camaro
Old 09-29-2014, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

yeah, stock subframe.

ive got about 7" clearance so i figured id just cover the whole pan.

i figure if i run over anything that can take out a piece of 1/4" steel, ive got bigger problems and that would kill a steel pan too.

why didnt you cover the whole pan?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't cover it all because the headers, anything I hit now should skip over the pan. On my 4th Gen f body, the pan is exposed and I've never had any issues. Just make sure there is something ahead of the pan that will take any hit. The stock frame has a nice Ramp in the middle of the front crossmember.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I have an F body pan in a 2nd gen Camaro subframe and it sits above the crossmember, and o still busted a pan once. There was a rock about 6" in diameter in the middle of the road in down town Kansas City. I couldn't swerve to miss it because a car was in the other lane. Tried to straddle it. No bueno. Subframe hit it, rolled over and came down right on the pan. Cracked it to the flange and knocked a chunk out of it. Havent had a problem since. Moral of the story, if its going to happen its going to happen. ... Skid plate may help, but not a definite answer to keep anything from happening.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Hey Eric

I completely agree... if its big enough, its gonna screw me. i just want to protect the aluminum pan as much as possible to make it at least as good as the steel aftermarket pan.

thanks
Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, it definitely wont hurt to have some kind of a plate. But I guess if it was a stamped steel pan it may not have been as bad, but you never know, the rock wasnt smooth, so it still could have put a hole in it.

I did have almost the same thing happen about a month ago on my '33, but it was kind of my own fault for taking the car somewhere it shouldn't have been taken. Was driving up a forest road just outside of Mt Ranier national park. Road was mostly gravel, but then turned into rock. I saw a big rock and went SLOOOOW over it. And felt a solid thud. I about **** myself, and stopped and got out and looked, nothing was pouring out so I continued on, but did have that awful sinking feeling in my gut. I really should stick to better roads!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

This is how I built my splitter, directs anything under the pan.

You don't want to end up like this:

Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

I assume you made it out of steel after that one? Any pics of it installed?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm still testing it for areo, it will be made from alumilite when I'm happy with it, and a fiberglass cover making it look a little more professional.

Quick Reply: oil pan skid plate pics wanted