Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS 6.0 help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 6.0 help please

OK, I guess a intro would do well here. This is my first post here, however I have been a fan and a avid reader of this forum for some time. I am 41 and a shade tree carb guy. This is a new venture for me and a huge learning curve. I get on here a few days a week and read tech threads, project threads and still have a tone to learn. One thing I do know is that I am starting a new 1969 Chevelle frame off project and I am putting a LS1 in this one. I know most all there is to know about the 68-72 A bodies and what works and what does not, but the fuel injected stuff is new and I am looking to the LS junkies on here to save me time, money, and smoke testing equipment that I have no right messing with.
I will be posting pics of the build as I go so all the A body nuts can see what is up. This build will not be one that takes 2 years to get done, more like 3-4 months if I can help it. I am starting with a very nice and mostly rust free 80k mile one owner 1969 Chevelle Malibu that I will be putting all new tube A arms, tube control arms, sway bars, air ride, 20s in the rear and 18s up front, and the grand prize a 2007 crate Ls 6.0 truck motor.

Ok, now for my first tech question.....This is a NEW never out of the box 6.0 that I have, I would like to know the best cam/intake combo to put in this motor. I do not want to build the heads or mill the block, I want the best upgrade in cam and the best intake to max the Hp that I can out of this thing and have street manners. I like the "KISS" stuff (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Thanks, and a few pics will be shortly behind.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice build!
I would say a good start would be a LS6 intake. You just cant go wrong with this intake, and your 6.0L TB will bolt right on. (if it comes with one)
Cam wise, I like the Comp Cams. I would go with something in the 224 dur, @ .050 area. If you like a little more rpm and a little more noicable idle, I would than go with a 236 dur.
Post some pics up! Love to see them!

Ron
Old 05-12-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

There are plenty of good cams. The one posted above is a popular one.

Many also go with stock LS6 cams as they open the door to power adders down the line (However, it doesn't sound like your interested in this...yet!)

I myself have a Lingenfelter GT-7 Cam.

As already stated, the LS6 intake is a good choice for improved performance and gaining some clearance under the hood. Keep in mind, if you go this route, you will have to change your accessory drive as the truck waterpump will interfere with the car intake/TB setup.

Good luck with the buld!

Last edited by TTLS1GP; 05-12-2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:00 PM

No tb on the unit. I am going with fly by cable on this project. Do I need to change out the springs for those cams??? A nice cam lope would be nice but not required.

This car was a one owner car in the area that a friend bought 1 year ago and was going to do a cheap *** hillbilly paint job on. Well he lost the loving feeling and I got it and drove it to a friends house just a mile from his home for the break down. It has since been reduced to multiple boxes and body panels. The frame is as nice as my 2002 F150 and the floors, rocker, doors and trunk dont even have a pin hole in them. By far the nicest core A body I have done yet.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would get maching springs for your cam. Just call Comp Cams and talk to them, they are experts on thier products.

Ron
Old 05-12-2009, 01:21 PM

Does this forum have a limit on pic size. Tried to post but they failed??? Not much on the deep down computer tech crap either.

Speaking of computer tech crap......any feedback on who to use for the wiring/computer end of this build? Like I said, I am at the mercy of the Ls gods on this site for a easy and clean build. I know my limits and to repin of make a custom harness for this thing is not my cup of tea and I dont want to kid myself into even thinking I can do it. I was thinking of going to Speartech since they are right down the road in Indiana from me (more like an hour and a half). Any better choices????
Old 05-12-2009, 03:43 PM
Launching!

ls6 intake a good way to go. Also Comp cams 54-6000-11 or 54-6001-11, This will give you a old muscle car rumble and good performace, you can always step up then you need to make upgrades to the heads.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mgthunderhouse
Does this forum have a limit on pic size. Tried to post but they failed??? Not much on the deep down computer tech crap either.

Speaking of computer tech crap......any feedback on who to use for the wiring/computer end of this build? Like I said, I am at the mercy of the Ls gods on this site for a easy and clean build. I know my limits and to repin of make a custom harness for this thing is not my cup of tea and I dont want to kid myself into even thinking I can do it. I was thinking of going to Speartech since they are right down the road in Indiana from me (more like an hour and a half). Any better choices????
speartech will build u a harnnes for your needs, one of the best harness builders imo. have used there products before. cant go wrong with them.
which 6.0 are u using?
there a few variations of 6.0 theres lq4, lq9,ls2,ly6
gt11 cam with patriot duals will make for strong performer and have excellent throttle response even in heavy cars with large wheels.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

edit:
just read its a 07, if it has 823 casting on heads its a LY6
9.9:1 SCR with L92 heads
317=LQ4 9.4 scr
Old 05-12-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mgthunderhouse
No tb on the unit. I am going with fly by cable on this project.

What TB (throttle body) do you plan on using? Truck or other?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You might want to browse the Internal Engine section for CAM advice, as there are alway many who have posted there results on many of the usual array of cams and head choices. (not that you will not get your answer here, but the more the better).

I don't think I read any info on what your expectation is for output (HP/TQ) or the type of usage for the car (DD, Street/strip or race only). This bit of information might help you get a recommendation on a CAM, Spring, intake and setup for your expected output. Also your budget.

Keep us posted and picture..... there is a FAQ in one of the general section on how to post pictures.. I use Photobucket.com and copy the IMG link in my posts for pictures.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I belive cam choice with l-92 heads is a little more critical than on regular cathedral port heads also. So you def want to do your homework.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW Wheres the pics you promised? Us slow people like bright colors to look at.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM

Here are some pics. The frame, Moser 9" rear housing, rad support, factory front sway bar and a box of suspension goodies are off to the blaster for cleaning and hope to have powdered by Monday. The body and panels will be next for soda blasting. When the frame comes back in we will be installing the UMI arms and sway bar in the rear with the bags and the Speedway A arms up front with my custom bag mounts welded in. Been looking at Edlebrock or BMR frame braces to tie in the rear arm mounts????
The motor should be in my hands by Monday or Tuesday and I will pull the ID# off so I can post the exact motor combo I have. I do want to go with a better intake than the big *** truck unit. Most of the replies are for the factory Ls unit in the Vetts so I will be hunting one of those down in the near future.
I have been reading more and more and am more and more confused on the motor mount/header/oilpan combo to go with???? Was thinking of the Edlebrock mounts and headers but it sounds like other A body guys are heating and bending them to fit??? and I dont want a pan to hang down at all due to it being bagged and maybe wanting to do some low speed low riding cruising at events or car shows.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM

Damn pics, Im trying here!
Attached Thumbnails LS 6.0 help please-69-chevelle-022.jpg   LS 6.0 help please-69-chevelle-028.jpg   LS 6.0 help please-69-chevelle-027.jpg  
Old 05-13-2009, 11:17 AM

The intent is to make a nice mannered pro-tour car with a killer stance. Honestly this is going to be the wifes ride, believe it or not. So unless she is doing a street challenge or a road course someplace, this car just has to look cool and sound cool. She would have been fine with alot of the stock stuff but thats not good enough for me, I have to mess with everthing. She actually bought the car and I am doing all the mods out of my pocket and shop so I told her she just made a deal with the devil!
Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the hotchkis braces on my g-body and they are def high quality. I know they make them for a-body as well. You can buy them separately from the overpriced hotchkis kit too.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:52 AM
10 Second Club

Any updates?

Quick Reply: LS 6.0 help please