Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, this project has come along way. From working out of a storage unit with no power, to a 2 car garage, and now...working out of a full service machine and speed shop. Man, its nice now. Huge thanks to Shaun and JR at JR Competition for the opportunity to be part of the team and use of the facility.

Here she is in the new home. Into the engine clean room.

.060 over LQ4 block. Should be assembling it this week.

Eagle H-Beams with ARP 2000 bolts

And here is where it sleeps. Its definitely in good company.

Staging Lane

New brake setup. Stock master and booster (for now...may convert to full manual down the road). Bought the metric to -3an fittings for the master cylinder and had custom length russel lines made. They run to two fittings on the strut tower and continue into the feder where I've moved the line lock and proportioning valve. Still gotta run steel lines to the front and rear calipers as I've eliminated the ABS System entirely.

Etch Primed the cage. About to do the filler primer.

More updates coming later today.
Staging Lane

Finishing up for the day. Got the lower mounts redone on the driver's seat. I wasn't happy with the height and how close my head woulda been to the cage. I moved it forward, down, and more inboard. Still gotta brace the back to the cage. That will be tomorrow or tuesday. Also put the final coat of filler primer on the cage. I'm going to do the cage and the engine bay in the same color as the body but flat. Going to see if the paint store can mix up a custom color in a can for me that will do the trick.

Sealed up the sump on the tank. Gotta go to the dealership on tuesday to get new gaskets and seals for the filler neck and lock rings. Then the tank goes into the car. The new magnafuel pump should be here by then. I'm ordering lines, fittings, and the regulators (yes two) tonight. Sealer kinda looks like ****. It was hot today and curing faster than I could smooth. The factory shield will cover the ugly. No biggie.

Gotta make a tab to secure the proportioning valve and get a few brake line fittings so I can finish plumbing the system. Here is where it sits for now.

Thanks for looking.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

specs of engine build?
what accesories plan on running?
looking good, really dig that som lookin paint!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NemeSS
specs of engine build?
what accesories plan on running?
looking good, really dig that som lookin paint!
Guess I never covered that in detail.

Engine is 02 LQ4 block, bored .060 over.
Mahle flat top pistons
Eagle H-Beam Rods w/ ARP 2000 rod bolts
ARP main and head studs
Tick performance Polluter cam
LS7 Lifters
LS2 Timing Chain
Ported LS-6 Oil Pump
PRC Stage 1 CNC'd LS-6 heads with some hand work by JR Competition
Patriot Gold Springs w/ Ti retainers and keepers (will probably step up sooner than later)
Edelbrock Victor Jr Carb Intake
MSD 6010 Ignition box
1 7/8" to 3.5" collectors headers by me. Getting coated this week.
Pro Systems SV-1 95mm Carb
Halo Nitrous Plate Kit (two stages...not sure of shot sizes yet)
Magnafuel Quickstar 275 fuel pump
Holley 12-803 Regulators (1 for motor 1 for spray)
JAZ 1 gallon fuel cell w/ holley blue pump for stand alone nitrous fuel system

Accessories I'm going to switch to an F-body SFI lower pulley (probably summit 25% underdriven)
Electric water pump
and I'm going to make my own alternator bracket.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Launching!

coming along nicely in a great new place. i was redoing my brake lines before i deployed. definately not one of my favorite things. those lines came out nice. i also re-routed them into the inner fenders to hide and delete the abs
Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Went to sherwin williams a couple days ago and ordered 3 cans of custom mixed paint. The car is painted 03 Dodge Prowler Orange. I had them make 3 cans of spray paint in the same hue only with a semi gloss finish. Here is the result....the engine bay is done!

Also sand blasted the valve covers today in anticipation of putting the motor together this week. Unsure of the motor color as of yet. I have a can of the sherwin williams spray bomb left over but I'm going to save that for touch ups I think. I was going to do the cage in the same hue but think thats too much orange going on. I'm probably going to do a simple grey to match the black and grey interior. The engine though, is going to be something off the wall.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Ok so its been slow going yet again. Simply due to customer cars taking priority. However, I've gotten a bit done here and there.

Shortblock is assembled.

The CNC'd LS-6 Heads are being touched a bit more by hand as well as upgraded to full stainless manley valves.

AND my favorite recent addition...The headers I built came back from coating! Notice the added v-band flanges and o2 bungs...wish i had and/or could tig weld b/c they woulda came out WAY sexier.

The car is blocked in right now with customer's rides so i can't get a good shot of it but I've started plumbing the fuel system (pump is mounted and some line is ran). Starting to get that racing itch again so I'm going to be getting hot and heavy on it again soon. Should be getting the flex plate (Meizere SFI billet) this week so I can at least get the drivetrain in the car as well as head studs and gaskets, get the other head port work done, and make some real progress.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ryclef331
Shortblock is assembled.

Looks good.. you're Pistons are in the wrong places tho..

Drivers: 1, 3, 5, 7
Passengers: 2, 4, 6, 8

If it's balanced it probably wont matter since the weight is still on the same journal..but just FWIW..
Old 09-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah that was me... had a brain fart when i put the pistons on the rods. forgot which way the valve reliefs went in relation to the notches on the rod bearing notches. The balance is good though and the rings are fitted to and installed in their respective cylinders. I think I had the motor upside down when I numbered everything as well. Eh. Bonehead me.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Valve Reliefs point in..

If it holds together in the first 30 sec you are good.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice build.

Originally Posted by the_merv
If it holds together in the first 30 sec you are good.

I try to put a little longer fuse on mine!
Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

You dont redline it when you start it?

Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by the_merv
You dont redline it when you start it?

Thought that promoted ring seal and cam break in?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Have you figured out your driveshaft yet?
Old 10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SN-95
Have you figured out your driveshaft yet?
Not yet. I've HEARD if you're using a 9" tailshaft auto that a stock mustang shaft will fit just by changing the input yoke. I've sold my aluminum shaft so I'll be going with a one off piece. However, I'll compare it to the length of my 96 cobra (which should be the same shaft) when i can.

Getting closer. Shop has been busy as ****. Heads are almost done and should be on soon. Then measure for pushrods, plumb it, wire it, fire it....then wrap up loose ends. For now, I just picked up parts to keep the ball rolling...

TCI SFI approved LS to TH 350/400 flexplate

ATI Damper and Meizere Electric Water pump. The only thing this motor will drive is the alternator.

Motor...meet trans. I'm skeptical on how long this TH-350 will last. When/If it lets go, I'm not sure what I'll go with.

Final rest place....
Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Smile

great build im doing a very similar build to my 97 cobra with a t56
keep us updated !!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Subscribed. Definitely want to see how quick your car goes since my build will be similar in nature but in a Malibu. Good luck with the rest of the build.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Ok i'm slow. I procrastinate. I don't care. I put other people's ride ahead of my own...etc Anyway. **** just got REAL so more parts are coming in the next couple weeks and this should get ROLLING fast this month.

Heads on, headers in, comp trunion upgraded rockers in.

Close up of the rocker upgrade.

Holley valve covers...for the price, these things look great. I don't know why people would run or **** with fuel rail covers the way these are priced and how they clean everything up.

Tidy. Minus plumbing, it will stay this way.

Sumped tank and fuel system plumbed. I'll get more pics of the front plumbing later

Radiator lines fabbed. You can see the wegner valley plate with the breather and where the MOTOR's FPR will be mounted.

Stuff on the way...Pro-Systems 4150 Carb should be here in a few days. Finishing porting the intake and sending it off to nitrous outlet for custom spray bars installed (Gun 1). Got a STEAL on a Wilson Pro-Flow Fogger kit today....(Gun 2). Right now just trying to get it running on the motor. Scrapped the E85 plans (just decided it isn't enough compression to take full advantage of the benefit of it) so its going to run on 91 for the motor and the standalone system will be race gas. Gotta get a few plumbing things for that. Starting the wiring next week and fab up the exhaust. I think I have the parts to make a temp driveshaft to get it moving under its own power and help shred the rest of the bias ply mickeys before I buy a set of radials. Its close. I can taste it.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Which finish did you go with on those holley covers? I was set on the black crinkle but yours look sexy.

Quick Reply: 94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread