Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tiresmokinV8
Which finish did you go with on those holley covers? I was set on the black crinkle but yours look sexy.
I bought the plain bare ones and painted them with duplicor brake caliper paint. Stuff is awesome. Same stuff on block. Lays out great.
Old 06-16-2012, 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I picked up the crinkle black ones today. They really do clean up the engine.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tiresmokinV8
Thanks, I picked up the crinkle black ones today. They really do clean up the engine.
For the price and how killer they look, I don't know why everyone doesn't use them.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my engine for my swap I had to pick up a set of valve covers that fit the ls3 heads and a new set of coil brackets since both were damaged from the wreck that engine was in. If these covers were out back then I would have just gotten them then since it would probably have been the same or close in price.

Heres mine.

Old 06-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Dang ryclef331 your car has come a long ways. I remember when you had one of the most bad *** cars on sn95forums.com. Never thought I would see you so big into the ls1 stuff if I recall what your center caps used to say....hahaha anyways beautiful car bro I am in the process of turning my 94GT into a ls1 car too!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lebedin8654
Dang ryclef331 your car has come a long ways. I remember when you had one of the most bad *** cars on sn95forums.com. Never thought I would see you so big into the ls1 stuff if I recall what your center caps used to say....hahaha anyways beautiful car bro I am in the process of turning my 94GT into a ls1 car too!
Haha. I'm always about stirring the pot a little bit. Never had a brand preference. The old centercaps were a jab at a local F-Body club way back. It worked...they didn't like the outcome. haha. Thanks though man. For the amount if would cost me to buy an upgraded windsor block and the machining to go with that, I would be WAY over the budget that I have for all my LS stuff. It was a no brainer in my book.

Hey, if you're still on Sn95forums, tell one of the admins to reset my account. I can't login since they changed it up b/c my email that I signed up with over there, I no longer have. I tried a couple times but no avail.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Fuel system plumbing is DONE...except for the nitrous side. Front regulator for the fogger. Still need to finish up the intake porting. But got alot done this week. Shifter is in its permanent home and hooked up, throttle cable and return spring done, headers bolted down. Calling to get a driveshaft ordered up soon, throw some carpet in it. I'm taking the cage out. I'm not happy with it. I ***** footed with the measurements to the roof and pilars. Its almost a 7/8th scale cage. I'll redo it later but for now, I want to drive it. Going to take the dash and interior panels out of my 96 cobra to make it look "clean. Waiting on some goodies to show up and I'll have some more pics next week.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Staging Lane

othing spectacular really. Nitrous fittings and jets came in but I learned that not ANY OLD flaring tool will do stainless...so I'm sending this pile o **** back and ordering a new one from Speedway soon. In the mean time, I've been buttoning up the misc ****. Had a lokar throttle cable and return spring assembly laying around in the shop so I put it to use. Pleased with the results. No crazy bracketry or mile long springs. Simple and clean.

Been catching alot of flak for this but screw it. I cut the entire cage back out of the car. I was not comfortable with where my head was in relation to the cage. Also the a pilars came way to far into the dash. It was built strong but it was just too small...almost 7/8th scale kinda. SO I fired up the grinder and sawzall. Some know, some may not but I have a 96 Cobra that I bought and blew the head gasket on shortly after so I began parting it out. Good thing I kept the interior. I spent a couple days swapping the carpet and panels in. Backseats are only there for asthetics. They don't weigh much and I don't feel like making a panel right now. So for now, the car will go cageless just to get it running. With under car AND through the floor subframe connectors, I have no doubt the chassis is plenty stiff.

When I say there is NOTHING behind that dash....I mean there is nothing. Only the steel structure behind the driver's side. No sound deadening under the carpet. The Kirkeys are going back in and a little work reforming the plastic of the console, it fits over the shifter. This is where she is at right now. Going to make a panel for behind the glovebox and passenger airbag cover to put the MSD Box and other electronics for the nitrous. Switch panel will go in the center where the HVAC controls were. I'm done over thinking things. I just want it running. I'm not compromising on a clean set up but I'm not trying to go over the top with every little thing.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Staging Lane

Hey, if you're still on Sn95forums, tell one of the admins to reset my account. I can't login since they changed it up b/c my email that I signed up with over there, I no longer have. I tried a couple times but no avail.[/QUOTE]

My account is the same way since they changed the format I haven't been on there.

What coil over spring rate did you go with on your car with the ls?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:46 PM
8 Second Club

Engine bay came out nice I like that. If I had known what color I was going to go with on my car I was going to do the same. The valve covers look really good also I might have to pick up a pair for mine. Did you figure out the drive shaft? If I recall mine had to be lengthened 8" over the stock Mustang drive shaft length but I have the 6" tail shaft on my TH-350.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MustangLS
Engine bay came out nice I like that. If I had known what color I was going to go with on my car I was going to do the same. The valve covers look really good also I might have to pick up a pair for mine. Did you figure out the drive shaft? If I recall mine had to be lengthened 8" over the stock Mustang drive shaft length but I have the 6" tail shaft on my TH-350.
I'm having a one off 3" chromoly piece made. Strange yokes front and rear with 1350 ujoints. Haven't measured for it yet but I will soon.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lebedin8654
Hey, if you're still on Sn95forums, tell one of the admins to reset my account. I can't login since they changed it up b/c my email that I signed up with over there, I no longer have. I tried a couple times but no avail.
My account is the same way since they changed the format I haven't been on there.

What coil over spring rate did you go with on your car with the ls?[/QUOTE]

12" spring 150lbs
Old 08-04-2012, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

Damn, this car is going to be amazing. Very inspiring build! Going to be one of the best looking engine bays ever. Some grafiti may still look awesome in some spots, dare to be different! Keep up the good work and I you have it running soon.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Staging Lane

This car is going to be awesome once it's done. Great job!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any updates!!? I just read every page in one sitting. You are the inspiration for my build. Great job!
Old 12-09-2012, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You get this done?
Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the valley pan, is there a baffle under that filter you have in there?
Old 03-31-2013, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TopNotchLSX
Damn, this car is going to be amazing. Very inspiring build! Going to be one of the best looking engine bays ever. Some grafiti may still look awesome in some spots, dare to be different! Keep up the good work and I you have it running soon.
Thanks man. Got it running back in October...drove it a few months and decided to change up some stuff....see below.

Originally Posted by sukebe
This car is going to be awesome once it's done. Great job!
Appreciate it.

Originally Posted by GarrettM
Any updates!!? I just read every page in one sitting. You are the inspiration for my build. Great job!
Its running. First outting is going to be a half mile airstrip race this week. watch for video...provided is goes well.

Originally Posted by SCott5
You get this done?
I did. twice actually.

Originally Posted by fast89stang
the valley pan, is there a baffle under that filter you have in there?
Yes but it still pushes oil through it. I put steel wool inside the filter and its helped alot but if it continues, I'll put a catch can on it.

On to the pic up dates.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Cooling system...Got the speedway radiator in. Made a couple of stand offs and TIG'd them on to fit the factory fan on it. Boom. Money

Made some brackets for it top and bottom. Dropped it in and again, thanks to Speedway, got some aluminum tubing bends and silicone couplers for cheap.

A little polish on them and they shined up pretty good in about 5 minutes.

Interior...running a tach only in the dash. Don't care about speedo. The big hole in the dash is covered up now. My other wiring pics wouldn't up load. Perhaps later. I put a fuse box and relay panel where the glove box was and the switch panel on the center console. This runs everything with the motor. The factory chassis harness still works the lights, windows, and locks.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

about that time i got the front fenders on. you can see the tranny cooler and lines installed here too.

******* BOOM.

Prosystems 4150 Carb mounted on 1/2" spacer. Wilson pro-flow fogger. 25 jet squared....Motor is done.

Sorry for **** pics...Just lost track of taking pics throughout this build and focused more on getting it just "done."

My buddy bought this 02 996 recently...650rwhp on 91 octane pump gas. 800 on race with more boost. He borrowed my truck to tow his Camaro to Westech for some dyno time and I was "stuck" with it for a day...poor me.

Quick Reply: 94 Mustang LQ4 Swap Build Thread