Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possilbe motor purchase without ecm/harness, any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possilbe motor purchase without ecm/harness, any issues?

I have been searching this board for some time now. My head hurts sometimes from reading so much, really good info and everyone seams really knowledgeable.

I may be purchasing a 5.3 out of an 05 Chevy truck. It it pretty much a long block, need to find out about accessories, coil packs, etc.

It does not appear that the seller has the computer and wiring harness for the motor. Is this an issue, or can I pick one up from someone else for that motor? I have been on the fence whether or not to send it out to get done, or just modify the harness myself. I plan to build a turbo 6.0 in the future, so this motor will be pretty mild only. I thought about going with a BS3 setup now so I could learn on basically a stock motor and have experience when the 6.0 is done. I have to do more searching, but I thought I recall the BS3 comes with all the wiring required, thus eliminating the need for me to purchase an ecm, harness, tuning software and a wideband.

It will be going in a Monte SS which does not have 1 factory wire in it anymore, it was completely rewired with an American Autowire Highway kit. Not sure if this helps me or hurts me.

Sorry for all the questions. I finally found a motor after a lot of searching in my area that sounds like it fits my needs, just want to make sure I know what else will be needed to get her going.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You shouldn't have a problem picking up a harness from a truck application and modding it for your needs. It mainly depends on whether you want to run a cable or drive by wire throttle body and what year pcm you will run. Even with the price of the harness, pcm, tuning software and a wideband it should be cheaper than BS3 by at least a few hundred if not a thousand.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have just what you need. An intake manifold, DBW throttle body, PCM, Harness, injectors, fuel rails and a TAC module. All from an '03 Denali. The PCM is already tuned for a swap installation. PM me if interested.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. I spoke to him today, he already sold the motor

I figured the BS3 adds a bunch of money, just thought it may be good to start learning it for the future motor instead of say HPTuners and then switching later on and having to learn a little different.

Quick Reply: Possilbe motor purchase without ecm/harness, any issues?