Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Value question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value question

OK, I'm sure everybody will hate this, but have a question....

Short back story: Bodyman friend of mine did some work for a tow yard guy (that also has a note lot) on an impounded car. Traded it out for a Z28 rollover, because he knew I was looking for a donor. When he told me what he traded for, I told him was probably worth more than what i was going to want to pay.

So, the question is, what's a 2002 LS1/4L60E worth? Runs fine (we have lot-driven it), 70,169 miles. Downside is that there is very little on the car that's going to be salvagable...taillamp, one door panel, one wheel, maybe the black seats.

I told him I thought his best bet was to run it on Craigslist as a donor car and see what it would bring, he wants me to have it, but I think it's likely worth more to somebody else. He's a good friend, and I don't want to take advantage of his generousity, because I know he could use every nickel it would bring.

Serious replies appreciated
Old 05-25-2009, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know how much they are down where you live but you fetch a grand or two on an ls1 alone in cali...
Old 05-25-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, if it moves under it's own power, then at a minimum you know that the:

engine
trans
rear
steering
brakes (?)

& a fairly good chunk of the electrical system are all at least minimally functional. That (to me) would seem to be worth at least $1500, maybe 2k, depending on miles, condition, etc...

You might also look around on the 'auto parts' section of craig'slist in different cities, I'd think that you should be able to get a decent idea that way as well... (Dang - you might even find that it could be worth a fair bit more than that...)

Good luck, whichever way you decide to go with it.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 05-25-2009 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Found a relevant ad, linked to it
Old 05-25-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the buy-it-now pricing on comparable powertrains on eBay.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is the most desireable year of LS1 motor and pretty low miles. It would be worth more if it was a manual. I would say $3k for the motor and trans alone is not unreasonable.

This site sells a lot of motors. Should give you some idea.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Fparts_E...34Q2ec0Q2em322

Quick Reply: Value question