Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another, BMW E-36 LSx conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple updates, putting the car, ’97 M3 sedan, up for sale minus the engine and trans, I’m moving on to a BMW 5 series to install my 6.0L and T56, the M3 will come with all the other goodies as outlined in this thread, (the Brembo big brake kit with new pads recently installed, brand new tires on all for corners just installed today, auto dimming mirror, the speaker box mentioned below, Euro Ellipsoid HID lights, etc, peruse this thread for more of what this car has). If anyone is interested, contact via E-mail or PM, drive it before you buy it ready for your LSx and trans.
Car is doing fantastic, just over 31,500 miles on the conversion and its been flawless. Daily driven over the past year and half, through the freezing winter here in the Pacific Northwest, trip through the desert mid summer in 107+ degrees, car has been awesome. Only issues that cropped up have been the relay for the back up lights and reverse lock out went bad, cheapo polyurethane Lollipops cracked out replaced with nice solid BMW rubber versions, had a fuel line ahead of the fuel filter swell and leak, have a feeling when I purchased the EFI hose I was given some non EFI rated hose so all hoses have been replaced with known EFI hose just in case and the original 5.3 had oil pressure issues from the start up, knew it wouldn’t last long, was replaced with the addition of 700 more CC’s late July last year. Currently the trans is starting to howl a bit, will rebuild it before it goes into the E39.

Couple months back finally finished up the speaker box for the single 12” sub. 1.25 cubic feet volume, built so the spare can be retrieved without having to remove the box and being a ski-pass rear seat, took the time to seal the box to the ski pass. That alone made a noticeable difference in the quality and quantity of sound from the sub.

Name:  Spkr1.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  123.9 KB

Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is awesome and reassuring. I am about to begin an LS1 swap in my 95 M3 coupe and your build is really encouraging me to get moving on mine. It's cool to hear that it was still performing great after so many miles!
Old 01-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by alaz1026
This thread is awesome and reassuring. I am about to begin an LS1 swap in my 95 M3 coupe and your build is really encouraging me to get moving on mine. It's cool to hear that it was still performing great after so many miles!
Thank you. Rest assured, if you like the M3, you'll really love it with LSx power. Keeping the engine stock, you'll enjoy essentially the same power band within the same RPM range, just MORE power everywhere from idle to rev limiter, just as docile to drive in day to day traffic as the car was stock, dip deep into the loud pedal and the rush of acceleration as you row the gears as the road opens up.

One thing I want to mention is most BMW owners are sensitive to NVH, (Noise Vibration and Harshness), hence buying a BMW vs say a cheaper comparable vehicle. Regardless of you might read elsewhere, the use of poly bushing/mounts WILL transmit NVH into the cabin and felt/heard by occupants vs rubber mounts. Having driven and identical same year M3 with the Samberg LSx mounts vs mine, night and day difference. Mine is refined, NVH is no more than the OE BMW, the Samberg was very buzzy, tingly at various RPMS and loads, fine for a track car, maybe even desirable, but for a daily driver BMW that is known for smooth refined driving pleasure....
Old 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

What 5-series are you going to? Besides being larger, are there any other issues?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM
Launching!

E39 chassis, '97-'02. Issues with the E39 chassis I have not researched, in what digging I have done on them I haven't seen anything that stands out though I'm sure as with any car it has its odd common bugs.
I will miss the refined crisp handling of the M3 for sure, but at 45 having played with sports cars on the track and street since the late '80's I'm finding my self preferring more and more of sedate cruiser.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Launching!

I take that back, one issue with the E39 swap is the electrical system is Can-Bus. Guys that have done it have been able to get the tach to operate with aftermarket electronics to program the cluster to accept analog signals, though cruise control operation with the steering wheel cruise buttons is an issue that has yet to be resolved, (some looking into adding a cruise stalk), and the AC command button to turn on the AC compressor, both of which are part of the E39 Can-Bus have yet to be cracked.

Last edited by BRAAPZ; 01-05-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRAAPZ
both of which are part of the E39 Can-Bus have yet to be cracked.
*crosses fingers for the E46 Can-Bus project*
Honestly I'd love to have either, but don't have the time or money right now. So I live through guys such as yourself
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Car is sold, time to move on to next project.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's next?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
What's next?
Want something bigger, really loved the M3, hate to se it go. For next project was set on BMW 5 series and swapping in a 6.0L LSx, briefly entertained 7 series similar vintage, then the idea of a later model Chev/GMC truck came up as an option, ext cab or quad cab, 4wd, ('03-'09ish, really like the '07+ body and interior), The Chev SS and GMC Denali are top of that list.

In short, not really sure, on the fence, regardless of what it is it wil be LSx powered, regardless.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry, I didn't read... pretty much all you talked about on this page

I know what you mean about whatever it is it's going to be LS powered. Seriously thinking about waiting on my swap to see what Chevy does w/ the SS that supposed to be coming out later this year. That may actually solve two car problems for me.

Just TOO easy to get more power out of these engines.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I know what you mean about whatever it is it's going to be LS powered. Seriously thinking about waiting on my swap to see what Chevy does w/ the SS that supposed to be coming out later this year. That may actually solve two car problems for me.

Just TOO easy to get more power out of these engines.

Exactly. SS kills two birds with one stone.
More power so easily is why the new owner of my M3 chose it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Teching In

damn this is a very nice swap!
Old 06-04-2013, 03:44 AM
Teching In

Default E36 Diagnostic Plug Connection

I know you have sold the car but do you remember how you connected the diagnostic plug in the engine bay up?

I am particularly interested in the RX, TX and programming lines and where they need to connect to. My car is OBD1 and this is the only point to turn off airbag and ABS lights.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smc07
I know you have sold the car but do you remember how you connected the diagnostic plug in the engine bay up?

I am particularly interested in the RX, TX and programming lines and where they need to connect to. My car is OBD1 and this is the only point to turn off airbag and ABS lights.
I retained the BMW diagnostics plug, (DLC), and all the pins in it to keep the car as OE as possible and retain the ability to troubleshoot any SRS, ABS, climate controls, ZKE instrument cluster issues, and to reset the service oil service indicator. when I removed the BMW engine ECU, (DME), I only cut the DME wires that went to the DLC so when/if you have have the dealership plug into your car everything is normal, they just dont see the engine ECU, (actually had that to bring up an ABS code after my conversion that turned out to be just the brakes pedal switch).
I suggest not wiring the CM ECU, (PCM) into that DLC as the BMW wont be able to interpret the PCM, languages are different, and the GM PCM is communicated with via the OBD-II port. For your OBD-I car, you just need to get an OBD-II port and place it somewhere in the car. If planning to tune the GM PCM yourself I'd recommend in the cab of the car, passenger side footwell for ease of connection to the laptop and the laptop wire wont get tangled in drivers feet while data logging/tuning.

Here is a spreadhseet I put together that covers the main BMW plug and its pin outs, that is ithe umbilical which the LSx will communicate to the car, as well well the DLC to the car, (In the X20 connector, pins 16, 17, 19, 20, 22, and 25 are all the DLC, you will want to retain those). Your OBD-1 car will be the same regarding the X20 connector, It will have 1 possibly 2 pins either added, deleted vs what I have listed here, pretty sure the Check Engine Light was one of those, you'll have to comb the ETM to verify. (The ETM doesn't have a pin out or section dedicated to the X20 connector which is why I built this spread sheet. Fwiw, I did comb the ETMs of each individual E36 model 1992-1999, 318, 323, 325, 328, and M3, tracing every wire related to the X20 connector and found the X20 connector to be consistent through the years and models of E36).

Hope that helps,
Paul

Name:  UmbPinOt2.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  x20.jpg
Views: 4493
Size:  13.0 KB

Name:  2012-08-03_18-16-41.png
Views: 1019
Size:  193.0 KB

Last edited by BRAAPZ; 06-04-2013 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-30-2015, 09:02 PM
Teching In

getting started on my LS-328i tomorrow... I have the JTR Kit... would you mind giving me some tips when I get stuck?

Quick Reply: Yet another, BMW E-36 LSx conversion...