Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?

ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?

has anyone done this? is there any parts I can buy so I don't have to engineer and get stuff machined?

I know indmar has made some ls1/7 for the malibu boats, but think thoose are v drive? also found kits to do this aftermarket, but I'm looking to use something like a mercruiser bravo drive or similar.

I have allready got an ls1 engine mounted in my old 944t, so figured a boat would be a good use as well. that way I can push further to make LS a "fleet" engine for all my toys!

allready put my raceboat and regular boat, with with outboards for sale, and should hopefully be picked up this weekend, so next project is a 23, or 36 (with dual engines) boat.

also found some watercooled SS headers made in australia for ls1 marine use, and I probably need to use speed density map? a bit unsure how good the PCM will hold up, we will see.

on a bonus sidenote I can marinize a engine for free here, but if I buy a marine engine I'm taxed 27USD per HP when imported.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a couple of good, detailed threads on that very subject in this forum.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Raylar has this:
http://www.raylarengine.com/550_engine.html
And if you go to GMs marine website, they have marine versions of the iron block 6.0 with and without an LS9 type supercharger. I dont think anything has been produced though.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

MerCruiser, since about 1997, has used basically the same computer controlled fuel injection as the LS1 your proposing to use, on all their V-8 sterndrive & inboard engines. On all these same engine packages, closed cooling is standard. Its used for protection of the engine from saltwater damage, via electrolysis, but more importantly for the engines computer control sensors. The ability to control the raw water cooling temperature was/is critical to proper computer control. So, I would also recommend the use of closed cooling on your all aluminum LS1 idea. As you already know, the LS1 bellhousing bolt pattern is the same as whats been used on the 496(8.1 litre), 502(8.2 litre), 454(7.4 litre), 350(5.7 litre), etc... I would not use the Alpha transom-plate and drive. Use the Bravo One, with through-transom exhaust to simplify things.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost all of the marine lsx engines use the delfi mefi controller.they are made for the marine environment. hence the name "marine electronic fuel injection".there is software
to tune all these controllers now.Questions? give me a call, steve 909 910 3867
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, the LS series has been used for a few years in boats. As has been said all of the factory ones and most of the retrofits/small builders use closed cooling. I don`t know of any that use 02`s so it would be a speed density tune. The factory engines use the delphi MEFI controller, however I have seen retrofits running the GM automotive PCM. It is not quite as durable as the MEFI, but the GM PCM is pretty well water sealed.

Exhaust is made by a few companies, but as far as I have heard the place in australia/or new zealand (WASP marine) would sell to private individuals where as indmar would not.

I`m happy to help with questions, but for specific questions pertaining to the swap you might get more replies here http://www.outlaweagle.com/forum/ind...bb10fa49510560 As outlaw/eagle boats uses LS motors in a lot of their boats now. Make sure to keep us informed on the swap progress. I want to do a LS swap into my jetboat, but right now I just don`t have the time/place......and I want the boat running for summer.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:11 AM

thanks for the replies, it cleared up all of the questions, I was unsure of the bolt patterns etc, but now that its confirmed we can move ahead.

and yes, I will of course do closed system for cooling, heat exchangers are wonderfull things, and in marine enviroment they are highly effective.

a ls1 should be lighter than the mercs 4.3, and giving the boat a very good balance, maybe even so light that you need some speedrails or similar to balance it. we will see how it goes, awaiting cash today and then I will go looking for a project boat. won't do until winter though, as I need to use the boat this season.. I'm sure I can live with a regular smallblock for a few months..

the marine ecu is interesting, allthough I would probably use the stock first (and probably fail after a while), looked some more, the racepak etc is also a nice addon and solves instrument issues.

really unsure if I should choose the 23, or the 36 feet one, as the 36 will cost almost 100k while 23 under half of that.

thanks guys.

Last edited by anders951; 06-15-2009 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

What will you do about fuel delivery? I'm guessing your overseas somewhere. Here in he US, there are very strict rules regarding fuel systems in boats. Merc has used a low pressure belt driven diaphram pump that supplies a higher pressure retunless EFI pump in their Gen 5-7 motors.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by garys 68
What will you do about fuel delivery? I'm guessing your overseas somewhere. Here in he US, there are very strict rules regarding fuel systems in boats. Merc has used a low pressure belt driven diaphram pump that supplies a higher pressure retunless EFI pump in their Gen 5-7 motors.
was thinking about just a regular unit with return, I can run returnless as well.

we have 0 rules for marine DIY, no emissions, no noise... if its imported as car engine and marinized.

gas is however 3-4X what you pay though

I live in Norway
The following users liked this post:
Jonlxa415 (05-02-2023)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:47 PM
Launching!

I have a 2000 All-Iron 6.0 that im planning to eventually drop in my jet boat. I figured the 100% Iron motor would do well with raw water cooling, being that there would be no Iron block / aluminum electrolysis from lack of coolant. Im guessing I would have to run it open loop if I use the factory PCM, and just delete the 02 sensors all together? Since the motor is stock, the factory open loop tune that is provided to run the motor below operating temp would probably work good....since it will be running 160-180 in the jet boat probably. Just disable closed loop mode? Im just guessing here...but it sounds nice LOL
Old 06-16-2009, 12:10 AM

If you are going to run standard water jacketed logs you will have to eliminate the O2`s and run open loop. Same with water injected OT`s (over the transom) If you are going to run dry OT headers then you could keep the 02`s

The only way you will hit 160 degrees in a jetboat is with a thermostat setup. From the factory probably 90% of the jetboats made in the 70s-90s ran open cooling without a thermostat, motor temps usually hover in the low 100`s hitting maybe 130 as a high. Keep in mind, if you go with a open loop system with a thermostat, you have to engineer a bypass into it so that the water pressure will not build up. In an average jetboat if you were to cap the cooling line from the pump with a pressure gauge and go for a ride you could easily see 50psi with the line deadheaded. At that pressure you will be pushing the gaskets out of the cooling passages.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

I have a restrictor valve that i can adjust between my pump and my motor. Keeps pressures down to a resonable level, and I can get my engine temp up to 150-160. motor still gets more than enough water flow with this setup. I know alot of guys dont run a valve of any kind, and the Jet has enough pressure to push gaskets out and fill their motors up with milkshake. The open loop tune wont mind running @ 130 degrees, it does it every time you drive your car before it warms up! How would you tune the open loop profile with a wideband though, if you cant get the 02 sensor wet? thats the question, if you were to custom tune it for mods using the factory PCM
Old 08-19-2009, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Default ls1 marine exhaust

Anyone found ls1 marine exhaust? I"m looking for a water jacketed manifold to allow the ls1 to be used under a cover.

anyone, anyone?
Old 08-23-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.indmar.com/

Indmar builds gen III engines with jacketed manifolds etc, you could even get an ecu and wire harness from them.

I work at a dealer, and will try and remember to get prices for you..
Old 08-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Teching In

I have an LS engine in my 66 Hallett v-drive. The Ford 351 Cleveland exhaust ports line up to the LS engine perfectly. I just drilled and tapped three holes in the head for the exhaust bolts that didn't line up. Looks and works like they were made for it. My Nicson water cooled 351 exhaust was ALOT cheaper than the new ones from Australia for the LS engine. I put a carb on it with Edelbrock intake and MSD box so I can't help you with all the FI stuff, but what I got is pretty simple and it works great. Any other questions just let me know..
Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 PM

carykard:I had heard that rumor before, but was never able to confirm it. Thank you.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

the cleveland logs are the cheapest route, but if your not concerned about price heres a direct bolt on set.

not sure about shipping cost from oz tho

http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/p/85...manifolds.html
Old 07-24-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed !
Old 11-09-2010, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Default Ls1

Dont no where your located but if your not running in saltwater really no need to make this motor closed cooling as most marine engines are not closed cooling this is an option on Mercruiser marine packages.
Old 11-10-2010, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

I bought 2 sets of the Marine Power water cooled exhaust manifolds for my 5.3 powered '97 Ski Centurian project to get a better price break.

I'm selling the 2nd set if anyone is interested. They are brand new.
Attached Thumbnails ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?-dsc_0009.jpg   ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?-dsc_0011.jpg   ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?-dsc_0014.jpg   ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?-dsc_0018.jpg   ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?-dsc_0004.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
Dazedcowboy (02-21-2023)

Quick Reply: ls1 in marine use, connected to sterndrive?