Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S14 l33

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S14 l33

Ok, I know I've been on here for a while asking questions left and right, so I figured it's about time to show you guys what I'm working on. Keep in mind I'm on a really tight budget, due to the wife and 3 kids.

Alright, here's the new ride. I picked it up a week ago for cheap from some small dealership that didn't know what they had. It had been sitting there for 4 years, needed a fuel pump and keys. Engine runs and has already been sold. (I just need to pull it)

L33 with 55k miles. Got it for $699 shipped with a 1 year warranty.

Kouki patiently waiting on Nissan row. Just need to finally sell the S13 Shell

Well, finally starting to make progress. Lot's of cleaning to do

Alright parts are starting to add up. Got my engine mounts in as well.

Finally found a T56. Picked up from a Salvage yard in AZ, has 55,000 miles and came with clutch and flywheel for $1385 shipped.

Some of the parts I've been picking up. Fuel setup.

Clutch Master cylinder

Last edited by gjohnson; 03-08-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Still More Pics.

Clutch Pedal

GTO Oil pan

Notched crossmember

Time for test fittment.

Current shifter location. (Oh, it's not bolted down, just sitting on top, to get an idea.)

Also, installed Clutch pedal and master cylinder, swapped in Z06 Cam and Z06 Springs, replaced broken timing chain cover and installed new timing chain kit. Made engine mounts (Currently tacked up, needs to be welded completely)

Old chain and sprocket that were damaged. If you didn't notice the huge whole in the origianl timing chain cover.

Engine weighted in at roughly 530lbs, with T56, flywheel and clutch. No intake, vavle covers or accessories. Although the hoist balancer its self weight about another 20 - 30lbs.

Alright, finally got around to pulling the engine again and welding up the Crossmember. Also completed my Tranny mount.

Disclaimer: This is the 1st time I ever even attempted welding and I now have about couple hours of experience. (I have a lot of experience grinding out welds now!)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last one.

Tranny mount is not geometricaly correct, by any means. But it is functional and solid.

and installed

Old 06-29-2009, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, very nice work

I've always liked those cars. Should be quite the sleeper

good luck with the rest of your build

-jason
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow thats great! good pictures too. make sure to keep it quiet except for the cutouts >
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 AM
Teching In

great start so far defintly going to be tuned in for this one. G/L!!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys. I'm really getting excited. I hope to have this sucker running reall soon. My original goal was to have it on the road by July 4th, which could actually happen if I could get the wiring lined up. After that it's just, oil, tranny fulid, coolant, clutch fluid and battery.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just thought you guys might get a kick out of my big rig shifter.

Oh and how are you DBW guys mounting your gas pedal? I need some ideas or suggetions.

Still trying to figure out if I need to send my PCM off and convert to DBC. Apparently the Truck throttle unit is quite a bit taller than the car ones and I'm having issues with shutting my hood. I've already spaced the crossmember down some, may have to cut out some of the hood support. It actually will shut, but the hood is sitting on it and it doesn't allow for any movement from the engine at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

did you get a clutch bleeder line?
otherwise you'd have issues bleeding the clutch or drilling the hole in the floor to get to it.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SirWarrior
did you get a clutch bleeder line?
otherwise you'd have issues bleeding the clutch or drilling the hole in the floor to get to it.
No, I'm so far over budget I skipped out on the remote bleeder, but I don't know right now it looks like I will need to pull the engine and tranny again, because my slave seems to be leaking

Crap, why can't left be easy? Well, after about 10lbs of pressure, snap!

Anyone know if I could just solder a wire to the broken post?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I know I've kind of left you guys hanging for awhile. So here's a quick update. I figured out my throttle issues and the car is running. I've been so busy lately with my anniversary and my kindergardner starting school and flag football, I haven't even had a chance yet the take the car it's first test drive. I'm still looking for a vacuum diagram for my L33 to make sure I'm setup properly, but everything else is hopefully in order.

I won't know fully if I have taken care of all the gremlins until I can get her down to the gas station and fill her up with 91 octane and then sea foam. My gas tank still has quite a bit of the 4 year old gas left in the bottom.

Oh, still need to modify the hood support to make sure I don't have any issues if the engine gets to tourqing. And I still need front 5 lug hubs so I can put my Z32's brakes on all four corners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz44U9Jvssc
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Nice job! What exhaust manifolds/headers did you use?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Nice Job!! I'm also interested in your exhaust setup, thats the only part I really haven't decided on yet...
Old 01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I finally finished making my throttle cable and working through my wiring issues.

Also, Finally got a chance to take the car for a drive and fill up the gas tank and the car drove like crap! I've got some weird noise coming from the either the driveshaft or the Differential. (I can't imagine it could be the Tranny) I have no idea what the noise is or even how to pin point it. All I know is it seems to make the most noise when the vehicle is under load. If I shift to a higher gear and just coast it seems to go away. It also, seems to make the car jump and hesitate some time under load. Of course it seems to have gotten worse when I pulled back into my neighborhood, and now seems to make this sort of grinding/whining noise all the time.
I guess I may have to see if my neighbor can take a look at it tomorrow with me! Any ideas on where to look first? Since I've never driven this car before, I really have no idea of the condition of the Q45 diff, or the 5 lug hubs. Driveshaft is custom made, but who knows.

Oh, and the exhaust is just modified stock C5 manifolds, 3 inch y pipe, 3 inches out the back with a loud cheap Thrust muffler. Will probably swap to a Magnaflow when I get some more funds.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

very nice! thanks for keeping this thread up to date. sorry to hear about the drivetrain issues. by the way where did you locate your PCM? I still haven't decided where I can fit mine!
Old 04-19-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got my PCM from Poconojoe, here on the forums. I would shoot him a PM and see what he has. Great guy to work with and he can tune it for you too.

Ok, I have a few more updates. So, I figured out the Diff problem. Yeah, it was a lack of fluid. I guess that's what happens when you work on these projects for months.
Currently, I've been driving the car daily for a couple of months. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to integrate my A/C system before it starts hitting the hight 90's, as well as work throught some new O2 sensor issues.
My O2's were working great, until last week when I pulled a U turn and somehow my driverside O2 wire caught on to the steeringshaft and wrapped itself around it until the wires pulled apart where I spliced them in.
I have since, spliced them back in, but the driverside O2 sensor keeps throwing p0135. When it does that, the passengerside will throw p0155.
Right now, I'm waiting on O2 sensor pigtails from Efi Connection, so I can wire them up properly and see if it fixes my problem.

On to the pics.

A little of the interior cleaned up and some work that started on the quarter panel.
Also, have a small vid but don't have anything rolling without a second hand.

Oh, and I just decided I would pull the panel I made for the gauges out and paint it black for a different look. So that's why it's black in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw1QdZenIFI

I found a smoking deal on a set of wheels and tires on Craigslist so here are a couple of pics.

Stock 05 G35 coupe wheels, 17 x 7.5 front and 17 x 8 rear

Old 04-19-2010, 10:04 PM
Teching In

very nice, can you get a close up shot of your fuel filter with the lines attached, i need a idea how to hook it up
Old 10-07-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I must have missed the question above. I don't have any shots of the fuel filter, since I've since changed it up and relocated it right above the gas tank. The fuel filter is just the stock Corvette fuel filter/regulator.

Well, this is where I'm at now. Engine and tranny were pulled last week to replace the clutch, While the engine is out, I had plans to rewrap my engine harness and clean up the engine bay and fuse layout. Then my buddy came over and this happened...

I guess paint is coming sooner rather than later.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

well thats a good thing, good job on the swap. I bet your enjoying the hell out of it and if you dont mind me asking how much do you have wrapped up in it so far, pm if you want it secreative
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

[B][gjohnson/B]\
Great job. Gonna be a sleeper for sure. I like how quiet your car is. I guess I am getting old. I like quiet vehicles vs the muscle car sound.

This swap didn't take long. Do you have any better pics of your frame mounts? I would imagine you some sort of gusset not shown in your pics.

Keep the pics coming.

Quick Reply: S14 l33