Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need first startup advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default need first startup advice

I will be starting up my new 06 ls2 in about a week. I will have oil and water guages to monitor everything . just a little worried about the oil pump not being primed after sitting for almost 3 years, any advice is appreciater. JOHN
Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was thinking about the oil priming too... as you can't do it the traditional SBC way. May not be the best thing but I just cranked the engine over before firing it... ideally everything got some oil on it before it fired. Then too, mine wasn't sitting for very long.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup remove your ignition relay and fuel pump relay and crank it over.aslong as you have assembly lube in the engine you will be fine.You wont have to crank it long to get some oil pressure,then you can reinstall the relays and start it up.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

I did the same thing, actually I just didn't run my fuel pump before cranking for a bit, also, make sure you filled your oil filter as much as possible beforehand, might save you a second of pressure loss. Have fun!
Old 06-30-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can leave the ignition hooked up, just pull your fuel pump fuse.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Launching!

I actually pulled the plug in the front of the block. Coicidentally the the 3/8 trans quickconnect is the same thread size...so I took the end piece of leftover 3/8 fuel line, hooked a hose to it, then used an old ford taurus electric fuel pump I had lying around, submersed it in a quart of oil and gave it juice. As soon as the pump slowed down I stopped. Had 40psi. Put the plug back in and immediately had 40psi at idle.
I'll sell you my setup if you'd like for $60 to get my money back.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

John if all else fails you can over fill the crank case and prime the pump. I explained how in this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-start-up.html

It worked for me when I was about to give up and stick a gun to my head. I pulled the engine 3 times. Good luck
Rocky
Old 06-30-2009, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There was a artical in one of the Magazines that should how to build a priming pump for the Gen III/IV engines. I will see if I can find which one and month it is. I used a 5 gal paint bucket, and old SBC oil pump and some hose and fittings.. then just spun it over with the usuall SBC prime drill...., one it came up. disconnect it and start it up..
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

If you hold the gas pedal to the floor while cranking, on any LS motor, the engine will not start. This is how I primed my engine before start-up. You don't need to fiddle with anything else. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pull the spark plugs before cranking. Less stress on the internals and the motor spins faster allowing the pump to get up to pressure quicker.

I did this on a brand new crate motor that sat around for 2+ years waiting to be installed. Got pressure almost immediately.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

found the Mag artical.. June 2009 Car Craft.. I can scan the pages if you can not get a copy of the artical.

But basically it used the port on above the oil filter on the block, connected some fittings and put a SBC oil pump in a 5 gal bucket and connected it all up... and started spinning the oil pump.. then disconnected the fitting and put the blocks plug back in and it was primed and ready..