Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The only swap I haven't seen.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The only swap I haven't seen.

I'm curious to see this swap and I know when it's done a lot of people will hate it. LS1 engine into an NSX. People say it can't be done but they do it in Feiro's and isn't that the same setup? What numbers would it run out of the box? As they stand now they only pull like 14 second 1/4 miles.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if you will ever see that. Those suckers are pricey to begin with. Last time I checked 93 were still in the mid 20's and up. I couldn't see spending that much for a shell.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 AM

I've seen some for as low as 16K which is still bank, but yea you'd figure you can sell that motor for maybe 4-5 grand to recoup some expenses back.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be a cool swap, I always thought they were underpowered for the money. I was looking in an import magazine the other day and there was a Mugen NSX that they converted to longitudinal mount rear engine, I guess stock they were transverse. Seems like a lot of trouble to keep the same engine, but it looked pretty slick.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a guy sticking an LSX into a Fiero, and I've researched the cost of sticking an NSX transaxle in my build, it looks like it's gonna run me like $3000 plus the cost of the transaxle. In your proposal, you're down to not much more than an adapter plate, but the question becomes: is there enough space? I'd suggest for your first attempt you consider starting with an LS4, for many reasons, then turbocharging that. That should get you low tens, easily, at less than 14 psi. If you can make it hook.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 PM
On The Tree

It could be done. I was looking into the Factory Five GTM when i crashed my vette. They use a porsche tranny and rear end that makes the rear engine longitudinally mounted... Could do something like that in the NSX.

Food for thought.

But that's a very nostalgic "classic" import... idk if i'd want to do something like that... But then, Fast and the Furious did put a japanese engine in a mustang...

...Maybe that could be the next movie?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Launching!

All good ideas, but.... the chassis in the NSX is aluminum and IIRC, a lot of it is glued together. That would make it well beyond my capabilities to do much fabricating and installing. If you were good with TIG or MIG, it might work, but that's a pretty exotic chassis to be modifying.

But it would be a monster with a stock LS2 or LS6 in it!!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:22 AM
RYU
Staging Lane

Well... i've thought about this for a quite a while since I own an NA1 NSX and have debated going FI for quite some time. (i'd rather finish my Chevelle though ) I still think the NSX is the most well balanced car i've ever driven and that includes what most people would consider an underpowered engine.

In terms of a potential swap I know the LS1 is only about ~30lbs heavier than the NSX V6. Give or take weight for the accessories. It's about 530lbs.

This is a NSX LS7 build gone bonkers!!! Here's a teaser of the longitudinal mounted engine.

Follow the build here

I'd love to see a more mild mannered swap at some point. Something the normal backyard mechanic can do . Personally, the NSX falls under pseudo collector class imho (i know some will disagree) so if I found a beat-up NSX it would probably be worth more if I just restored it vs. putting an LSx in it. One can also put a CARB approved Supercharger or one of the various turbo kits to get the HP.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Old 08-14-2009, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the works of buy a MG MGB for the wife and of course the thought of dropping a LSx into it has crossed my mind. Wondering if theres room, and I know theres gonna be some suspension work.

Midget weight in stock form 1850 lbs, figure add 250 with a LS swap, should be roughly under 7lbs per hp.

Last edited by ssduane; 08-14-2009 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ssduane
I'm in the works of buy a MG MGB for the wife and of course the thought of dropping a LSx into it has crossed my mind. Wondering if theres room, and I know theres gonna be some suspension work.

Midget weight in stock form 1850 lbs, figure add 250 with a LS swap, should be roughly under 7lbs per hp.
http://www.slowcarfast.com/MG/diary.php
Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ssduane

A B or a Midget? They are very different beasts. The early B will take an LS fairly easily, as it got the BOPR 215 from the factory in v8 form, and they are within 1/2" in all dimensions.

It'll be a lot more work in a Midget. That said, there's a guy round here with a Midget with a 328 under the hood, and 28" drag radials on it...

There's an LT1 in a B here: http://www.britishv8.org/MG/SteveWard.htm

Last edited by alan_a; 08-14-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: add link
Old 08-15-2009, 02:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

holy crap is that LS7 NSX going to be crazy! I can't imagine how many thousands of hrs will be in it when it is done.

Quick Reply: The only swap I haven't seen.