Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 LeMans - LS1

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 68 LeMans - LS1

After countless hours, tons of research, many busted knuckles and a depleted bank account, I FINALLY turned the key and it RUNS. I still have a long road ahead, but getting this thing running and sorting out all the wiring was the hurdle I've had the most trouble with. But thanks to LS1Tech, I have overcome that roadblock and look forward to making further progress.

Here is a short video of the start-up. Sorry for the crappy video quality and try not to pay attention to the noisy power steering pump (low fluid).

http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=100_1714.flv

Pics of build up to this point are in the link in my sig...Tony
Old 07-03-2009, 11:27 PM
Launching!

Nice build. you should do a complete build in here posting your pics.

did you spray or brush on the por 15 on the frame? Why did you not go with newer GTO seats? who's tank are you running? Did you buy or make your harness?are you runnign air ride to get the car that low?

Last edited by 71 chevelle; 06-21-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Good job and clean install! It's nice to see some more old school ponchos undergoing a retrofied transplant.
I have to comment on the trans am dash too, that's pretty damn cool. I've never seen any kind of newer dash retrofitted into an a body.
Well good luck with the project and keep us posted.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I still have a grin on my face since it came to life. I can't wait to get this
thing on the road, although it's still going to be a while.

To answer some questions:

I brushed the POR-15 on the frame.

I went with seats from a Sebring convertible because they have built-in shoulder belts.
I was considering the new GTO seats, but the built-in shoulder belts swayed me to the
Sebring seats.

I'm running a Rock Valley Antique & Streetrod Auto Parts stainless tank, pump and sending unit.

For wiring, I'm using most of the wiring from donor cars. Including the engine, dash
and underhood harnesses. Basically everything I could get from the donor(s). I just removed
the wires I didn't need then removed the fuses and/or relays from the fuse boxes.

The "lowrider" shots are when I mocked up the Hotchkis suspension and left out the springs
all around. It looks kinda cool, but not my taste. I now have the springs installed and it's
close to ride height, but it'll settle some once parts are re-installed.

The dash retrofit was a big decision, but I'm glad I did it. I still have to work out what I'm going
to do with the VIN plate and finish the removable dash top piece.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

It’s been a while since I’ve updated this build, but I just got the car back from the paint shop on Saturday and had to share the results. I know
the paint isn’t everyone’s taste, but I am more than pleased with how it has turned out. I’m currently working on getting the wiring for the exterior
lighting completed and I should have it knocked-out in the next couple of days. Once the exterior lighting is done, it will be at least legal to drive on
the road and I will more than likely put some miles on it while I am finishing the interior. Sorry for the crappy pictures, but these are all I have right now…
It still needs to be detailed, so try to overlook the dust and smears…
Attached Thumbnails 68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-493.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-491.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-489.jpg  
Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn. Mean looking car. You will definitely have the stroller moms hudling their kids a little closer whenever you drive by the playground or the mall.

i would like to do something similar with my Z, but I'm too cheap to black out the few chrome bits.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Teching In

I finally had some time to do a little work on the exterior lighting. Got the rear tail lights installed and working:

and also got the grills and headlights installed, but still need to plug them in and then re-adjust the bumper gaps.

On another note...I couldn't wait any longer so after the front turn signals were installed and functioning, I just had to take it out on a cruise around the block. Everything functioned as it was supposed to and found out quickly that I forgot to re-install the front shocks.... At this point I'm really getting excited about the results and can't wait to put some more miles on it...

Another shameless pic:

up next...sound deadener sometime next week...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This picture is FULL of WIN!
Old 06-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Default Update

Progress has been slow, but it is being made.

Pic #1 - Grant steering wheel installed along with the "FAT MAT" sound deadener under the newly installed carpet. You can see that the Trans-Am center console is being fitted and wiring for the sound system has been routed

Pic #2 - New door panels installed

Pic #3 - Shot showing the blue LEDs in the headlights

Pic #4 - at a local car show (the suspension has settled down perfectly - I think)

The last major hurdle is to have a headliner installed and have the rear seat covered to match the Chrysler Sebring convertible seats which will be installed soon. I've put about 500 trouble-free miles on it so far. It's getting there...
Attached Thumbnails 68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-524.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-520.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-68_lemans-517.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-haydocy-2010-g.jpg  
Old 06-21-2010, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Very very sweeeeet. I think you're right, it does sit just about perfect.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

That thing is looks synister! My first car was a '71 Lemans...Nice build
Old 06-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Teching In

sooo mean looking. LOVE IT!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have a 68'.. was thinkin bout 5.3 or sumtin..u make me wana keep th lemans now!!looks frekin sweat man..love the flat black..
Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride! I am in Delaware, and I am almost done with my 68 GTO. I'll look for you at car shows this summer.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GOLDRUSH98
...and a depleted bank account
Yep.

I love your car. Just give me the keys and nobody has to get hurt. No, seriously. Give me the keys.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Teching In

Wow...I really appreciate the great feedback. Building this car has been a struggle at times. At one point I even thought about selling the entire project after getting so frustrated with the wiring and the TONS of hidden rust. I'm so glad I stuck it out. Soon I can call it done...for now.

At some point I would like to install another cam and maybe a converter, but I really don't want to get ahead of myself. Upholstery shop on Aug. 2nd for the headliner and rear seat cover and then the little details after that. Until then I’m gonna drive the “Weee” out of it.

pushrod36 – good luck getting your project on the road. I'll look for your GTO around town too.

Wiot – Thanks, but...NOT A CHANCE…

One more pic from the local car show...
Attached Thumbnails 68 LeMans - LS1-haydocy-2010-f.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Wow! Great Build! How did you mount the dash? Which steering column did you use?
Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by fast400
Wow! Great Build! How did you mount the dash? Which steering column did you use?
First, the easy one: The steering column is from the donor car, along with most of the rest of the wiring including the dash, interior and engine harnesses. The harness that connects from the interior harness through the bulkhead connector on the firewall to the front of the car for the lights, turn signals, underhood fuses and relays was damaged beyond saving and I sourced one from E-Bay which is where most of my wiring issues came from. Turns out that E-Bay harness was from a 98 V-6 manual trans. car (donor was an '02 WS6 Auto Trans. car) and I ended up getting yet another harness from someone here on LS1Tech. Using all the wiring has allowed me to retain the VATS and have a locking/tilting steering column which the 68 LeMans didn't have. Once the harness issue was resolved and the circuits/wiring removed that weren't needed, most everything else was plug'n-play. I also used and modified the donor car brake pedal assembly and brake booster/master cylinder.

Dash Mounting: I think I got lucky with the dash. There's a metal sub-frame in the TransAm dash that I used to pickup most of my mounting locations into the LeMans. Once the old dash was cut-out, I set the new dash in place and held it there with some ratchet straps. Using the metal frame in the TA dash, I used a series of threaded rods which I welded oversized flat-washers on and then tack-welded to the inside of the firewall (see pic #1). I believe that there are 4 or five locations on top where I was able to use to mount. Below, I made some brackets to support each end of the dash from below using the metal frame of the TA dash and part of the old dash bracing I didn't cutout (see pic #2). In the center, where the center console attaches to the dash I made a support that attaches to the same locations as the console (one on each side) with small verticle members with feet that are bent to the contour of the trans-tunnel and then welded a cross brace between the two verticle members. The "feet" aren't welded to the floor, they're just to take any load that might be put on it. Probably overkill, but I'm happy with how it turned out. I thought I had a photo of that center support, but hopefully my description paints a good enough image to get my concept across. After all the mounts were tacked welded, the dash was removed and all the mounting locations were fully welded and braced. Before installing the dash for the final time, I threaded some nuts and washers onto the threaded rod mounts then installed the dash with more nuts and washers. Doing this allowed me to fine-tune and lock down the upper part of the dash so there would be no rattling or movemet whatsoever.

HOLY CRAP...sorry for the long-winded answer...too much Mt. Dew I guess...
Attached Thumbnails 68 LeMans - LS1-100_1381.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-100_1386.jpg  
Old 06-23-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

youve came a long way!!! I LOVE the flat black on black wheels!!! you totally stole my color scheme!! Thats exactly how mine is going to look!!! but with hideaways. ive really gotta finish my trans tunnel so i can start my car!!!
Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by the450r
youve came a long way!!! I LOVE the flat black on black wheels!!! you totally stole my color scheme!! Thats exactly how mine is going to look!!! but with hideaways. ive really gotta finish my trans tunnel so i can start my car!!!
Thanks man, it's been a journey, that's for sure. Good luck with getting your's up and on the road. I know sometimes the motivation can be hard to come by at times, but just keep plugging away and it'll get there.

Not much more to update since last post, still waiting for the upholstery shop to fit me in. I've installed the kick panels (with speakers) & also got a 3rd brake light installed. Still not 100% sure I'll keep it or install another style. This one I found at the local Pick-n'-Pull. It came from a 4-door Saturn (mid-90's) and is mounted to the inside of the roof bracing. Maybe it'll grow on me...

(horrible camera phone pics)
Attached Thumbnails 68 LeMans - LS1-3rd-brake_light-2.jpg   68 LeMans - LS1-3rd-brake_light-1.jpg  

Quick Reply: 68 LeMans - LS1