Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral safty switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neutral safty switch

Can someone please talk to me like I am a third grader and explain the wiring to me for the neutral safty switch. I put an '01 LS1 and 4L60E in a 1972 Monte Carlo. I can start the car in gear. I have a B&M shifter in car and the black box safty switch is hooked up on the shifter. I am going back and fixing everything the expert mechanic screwed up when he put the engine and transmission in the car.
I am assuming the ignition goes straight to the starter so I can start it in any gear. I guess one of the wires should go to the shifter and back out to the starter or something like that. While tuning the car the tuner told me the computer thinks the car is always in park or neutral. And the wiring needs fixed.
I need someone to explain this to me very slowly and easy. Such as take the purple ignition wire and run it to the neutral switch, then run a wire from the switch to the starter. I want to make sure it is done right this time. Thank you in advance.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SSwolf
take the purple ignition wire and run it to the neutral switch, then run a wire from the switch to the starter.
take the purple ignition wire and run it to the neutral switch, then run a wire from the switch to the starter.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks. I was hoping it was that easy. Someone kept telling me the computer needed to be tied in there somehow.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Ok I can wire the switch between the ignition and the starter. But what do I do with the orange/black wire PNP. Isn't that the park/neutral wire for the computer?
Old 07-05-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If the PNP switch you have has 2 plugs going to it, then you can use pin A on the gray plug for that or/blk wire.
You would need to have the ground wire on the connector also.