Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i was BASICALLY asking him what OEM GM parts they used...and this email was the reply he gave me... People dont seem to think that the Holden/GTO/Opel stuff will bolt on to the car.

Like you, I just can't fathom why a simple k-member/mount combo wouldn't let the motor drop right in. Save for an auto-to-manual swap, it seems that since both of these cars are on the same GM2800 platform, that they would be like legos (like the imports im used to) and fall together.

People have also said that the Holden version of the car was "changed significantly" to accomodate the LSx. e.g. widened, lengthened, etc...

I cant really subscribe to that one because as a business move, significantly changing a car usually constitutes a large expense. Now we ALL know the general dosen't like to spend money.

So, my question is this...why is it that NO ONE(except LPE) has tried this swap, yet EVERYONE seems to agree that it is just as much trouble as LSx'ing any other non-LSx car!?!?!?

lets make it happen,
Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should shed some light on the subject:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ght=catera+gto

good read!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:50 AM
odi
Teching In

in all it interests, here times a pdf with information from the omega v8, which OPEL wanted to bring in the year 2001 on the market!

>>click<<

and I intend also a ls1 swap, in omega b/catera
sorry for bad english

Last edited by odi; 09-22-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Launching!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by odi
in all it interests, here times a pdf with information from the omega v8, which OPEL wanted to bring in the year 2001 on the market!

>>click<<

sorry for bad english
That's some great information!!!!

Where did you find that?? Can you get any more info?

What is not clear though is how they dealt with the clearance issue between the steering gear box and the drivers-side rear header primary. I have close-up pictures of the Lingenfelter conversion and there was approximately 4-5 cm between the side of the cylinder head surface and the steering box.

Also since I don't read German, what does it mention about the differential?

Last edited by Hans Grüber; 09-24-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:31 AM
On The Tree

Oboy would that been a great car. I have a 2001 Omega Caravan, really would like to have a LS1 in it.

Thanks Odi for the PDF.

The front brakes looks like Corvette C5/Camaro LS1 with 13" rotors.

There was some rumours somewhere about the new Holden Commodore with the LS2 that it could possible be sold in Europe as an Opel.

Jan
Old 09-24-2006, 12:59 PM
odi
Teching In

@Hans Grüber
I do not understand your last sentence.
are you German and/or European descent or why sound German your name?
but if I understand you correctly, you would like to know which about differantial stand there?
the differential originates from the delivery program from holden. and still according to the omega one modified.
translation is 3,07

still beside with mentions. that omega v8 was never sold.
briefly before introduction on the market OPEL has the project adjusted with rather bad reasons became I mine.
allegedly the engine was not full power firmly too gotten and had problems with cooling water, because the cooling water channels are to be dimensioned too small.
then gabs still the rumor, which gave it too few pre-order
have the corvette/camaros etc. also heat problems? i think not
I saw a picture of an engine compartment one camaro z28 and looked just as full as in the omega
Old 09-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by odi
@Hans Grüber
I do not understand your last sentence.
Sorry, typo on my part.

Originally Posted by odi
are you German and/or European descent or why sound German your name?
I’m of European background but don’t read German.

Originally Posted by odi
but if I understand you correctly, you would like to know which about differantial stand there? the differential originates from the delivery program from holden. and still according to the omega one modified. translation is 3,07
I was initially asking what type of differential was used.

Originally Posted by odi
still beside with mentions. that omega v8 was never sold. briefly before introduction on the market OPEL has the project adjusted with rather bad reasons became I mine. Allegedly the engine was not full power firmly too gotten and had problems with cooling water, because the cooling water channels are to be dimensioned too small. then gabs still the rumor, which gave it too few pre-order have the corvette/camaros etc. also heat problems? i think not. I saw a picture of an engine compartment one camaro z28 and looked just as full as in the omega
The reason I suspect that they cancelled the V8 was that the Omega-B was going to be replaced in 2003 anyways so the V8 was not worth the investment. The reason definitely has nothing to do with cooling issues because the LS1 has never had such problem.

Anways where did this PDF come from?
Old 09-24-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My old Boss had a Catera, and that was a pretty damn nice car on the inside. If it had the power of an LSx in it, that would be a sick *** ride.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Regular

I would definitely ponder an LS1-Catera for a family hauler. I see Cateras for sale cheaper and cheaper every year and if its not too hard to stuff in a fresh LS2 and possibly fit up a T56 then it would be an awesome car... even with an auto it would be a great cruiser. always liked the looks of the Catera, nice size and shape.

good thread but whoa man this one goes back to 2003?!??! and no major updates? yikes!
Old 09-25-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

If they intended to use the radiator from the 3.2L V6 it was probably to small for the V8, that could be the reason for cooling issues. The LS1 runs pretty cool as it is. Then the Omega frontal area and the opening for the radiator is small.

The PDF doesn't say anything about another radiator, only another cooling duct for the alternator. In the brake chapter they say that the master cylinder must be changed to one that handles the higher heat better than the original. Since the brakes are generally updated I guess another MC is needed anyway.

It is sad that they didn't make this one, Opel has had cool performers for most of the time. Such classics as the Rekord Sprint, Lotus Omega and the present OPC Vectra are all cool cars.

Jan
Old 09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
odi
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hans Grüber
Anways where did this PDF come from?
that is information material which the OPELS repair workshop had gotten, thinks I times

if possibly someone has information, which divide one needs, for the change?
and times can someone say please, what the ls1 or ls2 engines with t56 transmission to cost?
I can only look which it with ebay to cost.
hier in deutschland welche zu bekommen ist ziemlich schwierig und teuer

and the rumors why that omega v8 I was adjusted in various forums read
Old 09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Launching!

Here are pics of a swap performed by Lingenfelter.

Particularly note how the rear drivers side primary was squished in order to clear the steering box. I would be very interested to know how Opel dealt with this issue.

The car has a ~600 hp 7.0L and T56.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-april13-1.jpg   LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-april13-2.jpg   LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-april13-7.jpg   LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-april13-10.jpg   LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-april13-11.jpg  

LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion-1.jpg  
Old 09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

I did a Google search and found this picture:

If you look at page 44 in the PDF you will see that they used another enginemount that gave more room for the exhaust than the Lingefelter mounts.

Jan
Old 09-28-2006, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jannes_z-28
If you look at page 44 in the PDF you will see that they used another enginemount that gave more room for the exhaust than the Lingefelter mounts.

Jan
The problem is not the engine mounds but the steering box. The Omega does not have a rack and pinion system.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Regular

wow that is very creative custom work on that header primary to clear the steering parts.
sheeesh.
that car must MOVE with a 600hp motor in there.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:07 AM
odi
Teching In

has possibly who notion whether kardan waves the series of omega/catera will fit?
I hope the sentence am correct and/or understandable

Last edited by odi; 10-03-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:23 PM
odi
Teching In

what can one recognize, when the engine was produced?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by odi

>>click<<

sorry for bad english

the file is not there
do you have that file
Old 12-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody save that file?
Old 12-26-2010, 01:14 PM
On The Tree

Send me a PM, I think I have the file saved among some other things regarding the LS1 stuff for the Omegas.

Jan

Quick Reply: LS1 to Cadillac Catera conversion