Sponsored by:

99 model 6.0L swap wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 99 model 6.0L swap wiring harness

Hey guys,
I've done stand alone comuter systems, but this will be my first attempt to use a stock computer and harness.

What I have a is an engine/tranny combo and harness out of a 99 model 3/4 ton 4x4 truck with a 6.0 liter engine and 4L80E. I plan on sticking the engine and tranny into a 68 camaro. I plan on controlling the setup via HP tuners.

I'm in the process of pulling the engine and harness. I've pulled all of the wiring up to the fuse/relay box that sits in the engine bay. What else do I need to pull? This just bolts into the back of fuse box. Do I need to pull the harness from the fuse box through the fire wall and into the dash. It appears I'll have to pull the dash to get the rest of the harness. Just need to know if I need to go through the trouble to get this much of the harness...
Old 07-07-2009, 10:06 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How much do you want to use? If you are using the cluster, then you need to pull the dash harness too. If not, you just need to cut the ALDL out of the dash harness. Those plugs that bolt to the back of the fuse box, you can cut them off with about a foot of wire so that you can wire to that, or you can pull the whole harness out and cut the wires off later so that you know you will have enough length. It all depends what you want to do. Did you check out the link about how to wire up a truck harness using the fuse center? its in the FAQ sticky.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Staging Lane

G-Body,
Yeah, I read that... That was a pretty cool idea.

I don't plan on using the cluster and probably won't use the fuse center(although I thought it was pretty trick).

I realize that the OBII port is inside the vehicle and that I needed it to program the comuter with HP tuners. That's all I care to have from inside the vehicle, but I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything else from the inside I needed.
I also plan on controlling the 4L80E through the factory wiring harness.

Is the ALDL the same thing as the OBDII port. I may be calling it the wrong thing. I'll do some more reading tonight...
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by zboss86
Is the ALDL the same thing as the OBDII port. I may be calling it the wrong thing. I'll do some more reading tonight...
Yes, they are one in the same

good luck with your swap!

-jason
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, ALDL was the old way of saying it. Like when the port first came out with the GM computer controlled carbs and TBI/TPI stuff. I was calling it the wrong thing, sorry about the confusion.