Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K member question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default K member question

Friday I finally got around to putting engine/trans/k-member from my wrecked 01 into my 96. We had hell getting the dow pins on the k-member to line up to say the least. The driver's sound dow pin is cocked even with all 6 bolts in place. I know in the back of my mind the k-member is fucked up from the wreck I was just hoping I might get lucky. I get under the car to put the trans cross member and the bolts wont line up there either. The tailshaft needs to move about 3/4 to 1 inch to the passengers side!!

So I guess I have two options:

1. Fork out another $500 for a new k-member since I cant find one in the junkyards around here. Not too appealing since I only had liability on my car when I totaled it. But I will if thats what it takes.

2. Reuse the lt1 k-member. Figured I could unbolt my ls1 mounts and weld them in place on the lt1 k-member. From the looks of the k-members they are identical with the exception of where the mounts are located although I didn't look at them both side by side without the engine on them. Anyone else done this?
Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The mounts are pretty much in the same locations, welding may be an option for you. I used my LT1 K-member for my swap with some LS Conversion mounts on the Engine, it works well but pushes the complete drivetrain about 3/4" back to the rear, so everything had to be made to compensate for that. Worked out well for me cause it made up the Drive Shaft slack in the Moser 9".
Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Sent you a pm.