Sponsored by:

6.2 in Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.2 in Trans Am

Whats up everyone...

I bought a pull out 6.2 engine from an 08 Caddy escalade, complete with trans and harness. What can I do with this setup and what all would I need to make it work in my 98 Trans Am?

Thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!! A 6.2L engine from an '08 Escalade into a Trans Am- DANG I wish I would've thought of that!!!

OK, seriously, IIRC, the biggest thing you'll be up against is making the 58x crank work with the 24x ECM that you have now. There are one or two vendors out there that claim to make "adapters" that will let the two work together, but that seems like a serious kludge to me - IMO, you'd be MUCH better off just getting the correct crank sensor wheel attached to the crank, or just getting a 24x crankshaft.

You'll need to swap to an L76 intake, or use a cowl hood with the truck intake;

You'll need to account for the fact that the '08 engine uses a DBW throttle instead of cable;

The injector portion of the harness also might not fit, I haven't had to deal w/ that, so I'll let someone else get into that.

Exhaust & everything else that bolts up should work just fine, not sure about fuel lines & misc. stuff like that...

EDIT: Just thought of something else - if you're wanting to keep the VVT, you'll have to use the front accessories from the truck - which throws a serious wrench into the monkey when it comes to fitting everything...

Also, if you keep the VVT, you'll probably want an aftermarket oil-pressure gauge, since the VVT system will keep a stock gauge pegged.

Good luck, make sure to post plenty of pictures.

Last edited by V8Rumble; 07-20-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Send it my way so I can build a 418 out of it..

Like mentioned above there will be a few things that will need to be wired up properly.

I would swap to the F-body accessories, slap on the L76 Intake with LS2 or LS3 Rails, Injectors that fit, and a 90mm Cable Throttle Body. I wouldn't worry too much about the VVT unless you want it.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Launching!

lingenfelter makes a 24x to 58x adapter, we used it when we went from LS2 to LS3 in our GTO. Simple plug and play, very simple. We were having issues with it, but it turned out to the the car and not the box. I guess we have a "rare" GTO that is Holden wired, instead of Pontiac wired.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not use the truck PCM rather than swapping reluctor wheels?
Old 09-07-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLOWN SS/T
Whats up everyone...

I bought a pull out 6.2 engine from an 08 Caddy escalade, complete with trans and harness. What can I do with this setup and what all would I need to make it work in my 98 Trans Am?

Thanks
I just finished installing the 6.0L version of that motor (L92 heads and VVT) into my 1994 Firebird Formula on the factory e38 ECU. You will need to do a lot of electrical re-working and likely need a tach adapter, but it's well worth it, nothing can beat the VVT for low-end power and it carries well all the way into redline. Also you can adjust the valve overlap in HPTuners, so there is additional power to be unlocked from there.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Launching!

The Lingenfelter 58x-24x conversion box works great, if you dont feel like pulling the motor completely apart to change the reluctor wheel, you CAN run this box, it does what it advertises and there was no tuning issues with it. It also converts the 4x cam sensor to a 1x signal.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

what i find funny is that for the cost of the parts required in retrofitting your VVT motor to work with the LSx camshaft, electronics etc - you could pay for the wiring to make the VVT functions work, the drive by wire, the DBW gas pedal and have a new ECU to go along with it.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pillagenburn
what i find funny is that for the cost of the parts required in retrofitting your VVT motor to work with the LSx camshaft, electronics etc - you could pay for the wiring to make the VVT functions work, the drive by wire, the DBW gas pedal and have a new ECU to go along with it.
Good call!! It just doesn't make sense to spend extra money so that you can downgrade to an older, lower-precision setup...
Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

my only issue thus far is getting all of the gauges to work... I ordered a tach adapter and now I'm just trying to get the oil pressure gauge to read on the stock LT1 cluster... anyone have ideas on how to get the oil pressure gauge to read correctly? Don't mean to thread hijack or anything...
Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you use the converter box 58x to 24x you won't be able to use the 6l80 as its TCM needs it and the E38 ECM for it to work.

Quick Reply: 6.2 in Trans Am