Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter bolts

Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter bolts

I have a 05 LS6 block I need to get some starter bolts. I forgot to check before leaving home.

What size do I need? my starter is from a truck and both bolts are the same size? A search didn't turn up anything

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You need real starter bolts that have the knurled sides on them. Dont use hardware store bolts. Go to a dealership and get some.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My local dealer wanted $10 a peice for these, plus I had to wait for them to come from the US. Not my idea of a good deal.

I was in this store we have in Canada called Canadian Tire, its sort like a Pep Boys auto centre with crappy Lowes attached to it....or the other way around. Either way whatever. They have a line of stuff called the 'HELP' line, and its a Dorman line of products. There is a starter bolt kit that comes with a long and a short bolt for some GM V6 engine (3.1L?). The long bolt works, so I bought two of these kits, at $5 a piece.

You could go that route.

Something like this...

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...ch_str=starter bolt&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=0&end _amount=999999999.99&start=10&vfrom=&prev=no&vnext =yes&category_list=:0

Last edited by cutlass_455; 07-23-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-24-2009, 05:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass_455
My local dealer wanted $10 a peice for these, plus I had to wait for them to come from the US. Not my idea of a good deal.

I was in this store we have in Canada called Canadian Tire, its sort like a Pep Boys auto centre with crappy Lowes attached to it....or the other way around. Either way whatever. They have a line of stuff called the 'HELP' line, and its a Dorman line of products. There is a starter bolt kit that comes with a long and a short bolt for some GM V6 engine (3.1L?). The long bolt works, so I bought two of these kits, at $5 a piece.

You could go that route.

Something like this...

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...ch_str=starter bolt&vsrch_brand=ALL&vsrch_cat=ALL&st_amount=0&end _amount=999999999.99&start=10&vfrom=&prev=no&vnext =yes&category_list=:0
Just make sure they are a slop/play free fit in the starter motor.

The factory bolts are designed to keep the starter in line/square the crank centre line (like a dowel) and have a larger than normal OD to achieve this.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya, good point. They gotta be snug in there, I agree. These new bolts were quite snug in the starter and didnt bottom out in the block. They worked pretty good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starter bolts