Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The goldyloxx thread (lsx into 1980 camaro)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The goldyloxx thread (lsx into 1980 camaro)

Im 19 years old, When i was 16 my dad and me went and looked at a 1980 camaro berlinetta, gold in color, perfect body and black interior, no rust. it either had 60k or 160k miles (couldn't tell at first, but looked like it had been painted once, and the drivers side head and trans had been out at one point.) It had a 305 4v th350 auto with a 2.56 pegleg, (biggest motor you could get without a z28). About as gutless and heartless as you could get. I daily drive the car for two years, third gear went out in the trans, but with the 256 highway driving wasn't too bad (only 3k). April or so of 09 my dad helped me convert the car to a 4 speed manual, we used a lakewood 15000 scattershield with a hays 30lb flywheel and street/strip clutch set, 78 2.64 first borg warner with a hurst competition plus shifter and a 3.42 posi rear. About 2 weeks ago we got a 77k mile 3.73 we just haven't swapped in yet. (3.42s not bad but a 3.73 would be better). Well thats the shortened story of how my car came into my life.

Lately ive been leaning hard about putting a lsx (lower mileage 5.3 or 6.0) into my 1980 camaro, The difficult part? I wanna keep the stock 4 speed (for now, later go onto a tko 600). I know the newer blocks dont have the provisions for the block mounted z bar, but they made adapter brackets that bolted to the bellhousing bolts for the gen IV/V big block motors, and wondered if they would work, and also lakewood 15005 bellhousing was rumored to be able to provide a mounting point i believe also.

I know i also need a .400 longer flywheel and input bushing.

I have a buddy who has done a few of the ls2 gto motors, one into his 69 camaro, but i dont have the cash laying around to buy an ls1/ls2 lower mileage takeout, so i was simply going to take a 5.3/6.0 (maybe lq9 if i can get it right), put the ls7 intake and cam in, and have low buck fun, id love to go bigger, but i can always do that later or if i find myself a deal before alls said and done and bought). He can help me with fuel system (i think he uses the truck style sender, makes a baffle in tank for it, vette style fuel regulator, single line to the front).

I also know the truck style accessory brackets need to be clearances to celar the throttle body of the car intakes.

I also need a vss adapter for the mechanical speedo, not hard, summit sells inline ones.

Some of the questions i have:

1. Anyone ever used a lsx with mechanical clutch linkage? What did you do?

2. What motor mounts position the engine so that the trans doesn't need to be moved forwards or backwards? Or do you run into problems with the heads hitting the firewall (i plan to put aftermarket ac back on, so taking the stock AC box off the firewall is no biggie.

3. Do the truck style accessories with in a car without much clearance? I know you have to notch the subframe for the ac compressor.

4. Are the stock computers wires long enough to say put it under the dash? or would i have to get an aftermarket computer to get it that far? (i know plenty of people just retune stock computers).

5. How do those 15005 lakewood bellhousings mount to the z bar? Do they need an additional bracket or something? I guess i just need to see a picture or find someone who has done the same thing as me lol.

Any lowbuck advice or direction you guys can give me would be appreciated, im 19, going to college and working as many hours as i can, which sucks seeing as i only get paid 7.25/hour. I need a better job but theres not much in the area, so im doing what i can with what i have.

Oh, last thought, local buddy of mine works in a salvage yard. He said he can get me a longblock minus accesories for 375, and could piece together a complete engine harness computer accesories for 600. 5.3 w/ 90k miles on it. Yay or ne? Id prefer a 6.0 for more powah, but at the same time budgets suck, and if i can get the ls series motor in there, upgrading wont be that hard later.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Wow, nobody chimed in, oh well thread is still young.

Guy said he could get me a 5.3 takeout with 60k on it for 600 now, and a 6.0 for probably around 1k. He got himself a 27k mile takeout for 500, what a beech. Oh well he works for them and his boss likes him so i guess hes entitled for the better deal.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

1. Check out the post from garys_68 in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...my-muncie.html

2. I think the Carshopinc "1 inch setback" mounts will do what you want. Give them a call and verify.

3. Dunno on a 2nd gen.

4. Maybe, it'll be tight. If it's too short, you can lengthen the harness or send your harness off to be reworked. There's no reason to go to an aftermarket computer.

5. See #1
Old 08-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Well, i believe instead of an ls style manifold, im going with a edelbrock vic style with an accel throttle body, and a 2001ish ls1 cam (By suggestion).

My buddy ordered the speedway motor mounts, were gonna see how well they work with his 5.3 and th350, will tell me if they put the motor in the right place (his is a 67 shortbed c10, just gotta figure out some form of kickdown)

Truck accessories will hit stock hood, so i think im just going to buy the computer as a longblock (intake to oil pan, harness no computer, but has all coil packs and stuff, for 400, its out of an 03 silverado)

Thanks for the tip on the z bar mount, im still doing research before i jump heads in, but the ls series swap is by far the best choice, considering how much bang for the buck you get.

Quick Reply: The goldyloxx thread (lsx into 1980 camaro)