Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone here running the gauge cluster from an LSx powered vehicle in their hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Anyone here running the gauge cluster from an LSx powered vehicle in their hybrid?

I have big plans for my dash eventually but thought a stock cluster from a GTO might be a good alternative until I can do what I want. Is using a stock cluster easier/harder/about the same effort and expense as aftermarket gauges?
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was me i would just make a gauge panel plate and mount up aftermarket ones.To make the dash fit a cluster can be fun but wiring should be easier.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1936 LS1
I have big plans for my dash eventually but thought a stock cluster from a GTO might be a good alternative until I can do what I want. Is using a stock cluster easier/harder/about the same effort and expense as aftermarket gauges?
It really depends on your setup. Need to know more specifics on the vehicle you want to do this with. The majority of the 05 up GTO instrument clutster runs off the class 2 serial data bus. Im not sure about the 04 since it runs on the older PCM. On my TBSS, the speedo and tach are the only two guages that are driven by direct signals from the ECM and the MIL and left and right blinker lights are the only indicators driven by direct signals. Everything else is driven by the class 2 serial data bus. For example, the Ebrake switch tells the BCM that the Ebrake has been set. The BCM then tells the instrument panel cluster via the class 2 serial data bus to turn on the Ebrake indicator. The IPC then illuminates the Ebrake indicator.

You should be able to get the main guages to work without much difficulty. Just hook up the power and grounds based on the IPC pinout. Connect your VSS and Tach outputs from the ECM to the IPC. Connect the MIL output of the ECM to the IPC. Connect a single wire from the class 2 serial data pin on the ECM to the IPC. That will allow the ECM to tell the IPC the fuel level, voltage, oil pressure, and ECT info in order to make those guages work. You can also tap your left and right blinker wires and run them into the IPC to get the left and right blinker idicators to work. Without installing all the different modules from the vehicle that the ECM/Trans/IPC came out of, and connecting them all to the class 2 serial data bus, the majority of the warning indicators will not work.

Hope that helps
Old 08-11-2009, 02:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

branndonw,

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed explanation. The set I was looking at was an '04 GTO setup but that's not cast in stone. I'm putting together a '00 LS1 running all truck externals and an '05 Silverado harness/ECM. The car is my '36 Chevy which has NO wiring in it currently so that isn't really an issue.

I just wondered if this was a fairly simple procedure. Sounds like it could be done, but it might not be worth it since it's not my "final" planned setup for this car. I'll look at it a little further.

BTW, I got all the abbreviations except "MIL" what is that?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No problem. You will probably be better off just getting aftermarket guages. I would be surprised if the Silvy ECM will communicate with GTO guages correctly over the class 2 serial data bus. With everything being from different vehicles, it will probably just turn into a big headache. If all the components were from the same vehicle it probably wouldnt be that big of a deal. If you are using the 05 Silvy ECM, then you should be able to get the Silvy guages to work like I explaind earlier.

MIL stands for Malfunction Indicator Lamp.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually about to see if a Silverado (2007 or 8) ECU/harness will work with a class 2 serial data cluster.

from what I've read, the class 2 and low speed GMLAN protocols are virtually identical.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:07 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"virtually" is the issue here. Eventually someone will figure out a way to easily convert among the various CAN protocols and./or how to put signals onto a CAN.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 167 Likes on 97 Posts

Just getting into this myself, but.....everything I'm using is from the same car (06 GTO)....Still a couple of months away from putting power to anything.......

Ken
Old 08-12-2009, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rao
"virtually" is the issue here. Eventually someone will figure out a way to easily convert among the various CAN protocols and./or how to put signals onto a CAN.
I've long wondered if there is a market in this; my Uncle and I can handle the work aspect, but it's pretty time intensive.

FWIW, we previously reverse engineered Pioneer's IP Bus (a 2 wire differential signal bus) for a competing car stereo company. That was around ~24 hours invested.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:20 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
I've long wondered if there is a market in this; my Uncle and I can handle the work aspect, but it's pretty time intensive.

FWIW, we previously reverse engineered Pioneer's IP Bus (a 2 wire differential signal bus) for a competing car stereo company. That was around ~24 hours invested.
I am sure there is a market - I would be very interested in it. I will send you a PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone here running the gauge cluster from an LSx powered vehicle in their hybrid?