Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of the Blue Running Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Out of the Blue Running Issues

I have a '67 Bronco that I swapped a '02 5.3L & NV4500 into. I just got it out of the exhaust shop last night, stopped off for gas, and it wouldn't start. It was cranking away but it was not starting. I pulled a P1336 (Crank position re-learn needed) & P0178 (Flex Fuel Sensor) codes. So I reset the codes and it did start but barely, and ran poorly the rest of the way home. Later I cleared the codes again and it took forever to start but eventually did and ran like crap, just enough for me to pull it into the garage. Now I'm suspecting either the crank or cam sensor went south but need help on how to diagnose these sensors. I spoke with the dealer they said that neither of these codes would prevent the vehicle from starting so I think I have a faulty sensor. The motor has always had some issues starting, but now it's gone caput.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Launching!

I am also open to any suggestions at this point...
Old 08-11-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the crank position sensor.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

This is a shot in the dark, because I only read about flex fuel for a little bit.
I know at one point there was a specific sensor to detect E85 and later on the computer got all of the information from the 02 sensors.

Is it possible that the trouble may lie with the 02 sensors? Perhaps damaged during the exhaust changes?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bjamick
Sounds like the crank position sensor.
I'm getting one tomorrow so I'll swap it out and give it a shot. Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I'll start there.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 46Coupe
This is a shot in the dark, because I only read about flex fuel for a little bit.
I know at one point there was a specific sensor to detect E85 and later on the computer got all of the information from the 02 sensors.

Is it possible that the trouble may lie with the 02 sensors? Perhaps damaged during the exhaust changes?
Definitely a slim possibility, but it has always had issues starting and my programmer was supposed to have deleted the flex fuel crap. I am also now pulling a P0135 Bank 1 sensor 1 heater code so something did happen to one of my O2s. Something else to look into, thanks!

Quick Reply: Out of the Blue Running Issues