Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of converting my rad to a dual pass in sted of a single pass?

Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default thinking of converting my rad to a dual pass in sted of a single pass?

well i am about to start working on my cooling system on my nova.. i have a griffith aluminum rad in the car nowi plan to use for the ls1. i pan to move both inlet and return to the passenger side of the car so it is easier to plum. in that sense i need to convert it to a dual pass radiator. so i figure i will just cut the tank about half way down and insert a divider in the take to redirect the flow back threw the rad...

good idea or bad?
Old 08-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Teching In

not sure but i got one from griffin for 300 bucks and they said it would cool up to a 750 horsepower engine my car isnt done yet but i hope it works
Old 08-12-2009, 12:09 AM
TECH Regular

that's what's in the car now. but its a single pass. is that one you got a dual or single???
Old 09-15-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read on stevesnovasite that single pass is far better at cooling than double pass.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:36 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I read on stevesnovasite that single pass is far better at cooling than double pass.
What did they base this on, since the water would travel twice as much distance in a dual pass radiator, it should be better. Branted the water is traveling fasted, but it is being exposed to more surface and stands a better chance of cooling.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Jeg's branded 19" x 26" dual pass (17 1/2" x 20" core) in my Maverick, with an A/C evap and trans cooler stacked in front of it. Car runs 185° all day, any day in 100° SE TX heat and humidity.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

well mine is now converted to dual pass. ill let ya no how it works out!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:18 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys,
Don't get hung up on single pass vs double pass! Double pass just means the coolant flows through each section twice as fast, overall, the coolant spends the SAME amount of time in contact with the radiator in order to exchange the heat to the atmosphere. I.e., you are gaining NOTHING in the quest for improved cooling!

Ok, so you have a new griffin radiator? 95% chance the radiator is NOT the issue if you are experience overheating issues.
If you are experiencing over heating issues, double pass vs single pass will NOT affect that issue! Need to look elsewhere for the "why".

Cut and paste from my home forum www.hybridz.org, member's V-8 powered Datsun Z car is running warm;

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=153044
Originally Posted by BRAAP
Tad,

Doc’s post should be your starting point in figuring out what is going on.

Originally Posted by dr_hunt
Heating problems are always a nightmare. Ample pump flow, retention time in the rad, airflow are the key. Alum rads are more efficient, so it's probably just adequate air flow. The 160 or 165 stat will work fine if you use one and will make more power IMO.

Air flow problems can be the result of insufficient shrouding/sealing and IMO is the place to look in your case.

Air flow is EXACTLY where I’d start as well. Been there done that trying to improve coolant flow, capacity, time in the radiator, LOTS of different thermostats, temp ranges and styles and none of that helped at all. Air flow mods is what helped the V-8 Z car stay cool.

Also, regarding the Thermostat, it seems to get a lot of attention whenever overheating comes up and most of the advice given will be centered around the thermostat. Granted, the thermostat is a common fault in some overheating situations, but when a few different thermostats have been tried and there is no change in "how" the overheating react, chances are the "cause" for the overheating is related to something else.

Due to how A/C functions, when it is operating, it is pulling the heat out of the cab of the car and expelling that heat to the atmosphere just ahead of the radiator in the condenser. As such, when the A/C is running, any air that goes through the condenser first is getting preheated so by the time it gets to your radiator, what air flow you do have through the radiator doesn’t have as much "room" left for more heat, (delta "T") i.e. the air through the radiator is already hot, so it can only accept very little more heat so the radiator remains hot! That is why your over heating issue is worse with the A/C running vs not. As mentioned earlier, when the A/C compressor is running, it is loading the engine a little bit more, causing the engine to work just a little bit more, absorbing a few HP at most, but that is nothing that would make the difference between overheating or not.
Remember, your cooling system and even the A/C system, in their simplest forms, are merely “heat exchange systems”. Cooling system is exchanging heat produced by the engine out to the atmosphere through the radiator. This system works pretty well in most cars, adequate for L-6 Z cars, barely adequate to not adequate for most V-8 Z cars. This inadequacy is mostly due to inadequate air flow thorough the radiator so the radiator can do its job in exchanging heat that it pulled from the engine out to the atmosphere. ;-)

Chances are your radiator is up to snuff. Your water pump and its driven speed as well as the thermostat are up to snuff. When the car starts to get warm, I'd be willing to bet that that temperature of the fins near the out of the radiator into the water pump is not much cooler than the fins near inlet of the radiator, where the coolant come in from the T-stat. Blow more air across the radiator and that temp difference from inlet to outlet of the radiator should become much greater, and the engine temp will also come down, i.e. cooling system is up to snuff, inadequate air flow "across" the fins of the radiator!

My first V-8 I struggled with wanting to run warm as well. Using that formula that Doc supplied, I spent several months making changes. Every change I made to improve coolant flow and soak in the radiator made NO difference! Every mod I did that improved air flow to and through the radiator, DID make a difference. Then after the wind tunnel testing results came out, that solidified my finds that the Z car is weak in the are of air flow “across” the fins of the radiator, and a super wonder fan, in itself is not the wonder cure.
Here is a brief run down on what I did.

Car;
’75 280-Z, non vented hood, mild SBC 350, T-5 trans. No front bumper, no air dam. Car ran consistent 12.3 @ 113 MPH, was a daily driver!

JTR GM radiator, Cheapo 14” slim fan.
As much under drive for the water pump as I could get with stock pulleys.

I first approached coolant flow mods. Like everyone else, I thought it was flow related.
1) Tried colder Thermostats, high flow thermostats, no thermostat! No change, car wanted to run warm, different thermostats only changed how fast and when it happened.

2) Found a crank and water pump pulley that went from under drive to over drive! No change! Still wanted to run warm, warmed up at the same rate etc. .

3) Disassembled the water pump, added a backing plate to the impellor and pressed the impellor closer to the housing, i.e. less clearance between the impellor and the housing and made the impeller MUCH more efficient at moving water through the engine! NO change! Still ran warm and heated up just as quickly! Though with the rad cap off and when the thermostat was open, (car running warm), there was noticeably more/faster running coolant through the radiator.

4) Removed the water pump and tapped the coolant bypass hole in the passenger side of block just under the water pump for a pipe plug, plugged it and drilled a small hole in that plug to restrict the amount of coolant bypass (thinking it may be short cycling too much hot water). NO change, car still ran warm, warmed just as fast!

5) Removed the engine from the car, (forgot exactly whey, I think it was oil leak related and ended up replacing all the gasket on the engine). Any how, when I removed heads I used different head gaskets with slightly different cooling passage ports! No change, car still ran warm!

Then I looked at the amount of coolant thinking it didn't have enough coolant and was just passing what little coolant it had through the radiator too quickly so it didn't get a chance to exchange the heat to the atmosphere! Bought larger NASCAR Style radiator, (3 gallons of coolant vs 1 gallon). Theory was to more volume of coolant in the radiator has more time to exchange its heat to the atmosphere.
Car still ran just as warm, just took longer to get there, but also took longer to cool back down as well! :shock: The added volume of coolant acted as a heat ballast/heat sink! In other words, no change, car still ran just as warm, just took longer to get warm AND longer to cool back down!

Played with the car sitting still at home, allowed it to warm up and get up to approx 210 degrees, then lightly misted the radiator with garden hose, temp came right down! Let it warm up again, blowing air across the radiator from a distance with an air nozzle, (don't get too close or the air blast from the nozzle will deform the rad fins). Temp came right down. Ahh haa...
With that I started to make changes in air flow through the radiator. Not having any of the info from the wind tunnel, I was going at it blind, so only made few changes and they ALL helped, making noticeable difference.

Sealed the radiator to the core support air tight so no air could go around the sides of the rad, but only through it! Plugged all the other holes in the core support except the big one in front of the radiator! ;-) Sealed the hood to the upper rad core support so no air could flow between the hood and the core support! All this made the biggest difference of everything tried, improved the running warm situation noticeably, almost curing completely! My license plate was in the middle of the grill, removed it, that made just a little more improvement. That is as far as I got with it. With what I know now, I would’ve ran the smallest lightest radiator, (JTR radiator), done an air dam and a flat plate from the air dam back to at least the rad core support and sealed all that air tight. Built formed sheet metal air entrance that starts at the same shape as the grill opening and transitions to the hole in the rad core support.

Hope that helps,
Paul
This situation above points to air flow, and as that thread has progressed, that members testing has also revealed "air flow inadequacy". Your situation could very well be coolant flow related, thermostat related, air flow related, etc, or any combination of the above.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Last edited by BRAAPZ; 09-17-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The guy's not having cooling problems. He just wants to know if a dual pass radiator is a bad idea.

From http://www.carcraft.com/howto/ccrp_0...em/basics.html

the radiator on the first pass, then directs the coolant across the lower portion of the radiator face for a second pass. One reason this works is because the velocity of the coolant roughly doubles when the coolant is forced to travel across half as many tubes per pass. This creates turbulence in the tubes, exposing more coolant to the radiator tube walls and improving heat transfer. This also presents an increased load to the water pump, which means using a dual-pass radiator demands a better water pump if the system is to take advantage of the dual-pass concept.
Here is a much more wordy response that comes to the final conclusion of "depends". There is a lot to it.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=100862
Old 09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Regular

the main reason i did it was because i am using a normal sbc rad with both inlet on one side and outlet on the other. and ls uses them both on the same side. so i moved the them both on the same side of the rad so i needed to convert to dual pass.

before

after

Old 09-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

It takes slightly more pressure to push it through.

I like the WTF factor. Dood, your hoses are on the same side!!! That won't work!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by terryr
It takes slightly more pressure to push it through.

I like the WTF factor. Dood, your hoses are on the same side!!! That won't work!!!!
Yes it will, there is a divider plate between the two hoses, forcing all the water to flow to one side and back to the other, hench the name dual pass
Old 09-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poconojoe
hench the name dual pass
I thought he meant dual bag...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twivg7GkYts
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

lmao thats funny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thinking of converting my rad to a dual pass in sted of a single pass?