Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late model transmission behind a sbc

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default late model transmission behind a sbc

Where are the adapter kits for bolting a lsx style transmission (I'm looking at 2004 4l80e) to a gen1 small block chevy? I see them for going the other way...what will I need to make this work?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just use a 4L80E from a Gen I SBC or 6.5TD Diesel? Would bolt right up, no adapter required.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Only because this one is in my area, reasonably priced, and low miles. Most of the earlier ones that I've seen have 100k+ miles on them. If its a matter of getting the right flexplate, then this one makes sense, but if I'll need a new/custom converter as well, then I'll keep looking. I really don't know all the differences, though I have read that 99 and newer have stronger planetaries, which is another reason to buy a newer one if it's not a difficult adaptation.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you need a adapter for bolting up the trans to a SBC, there is just different bolt holes used. The LSx block doesn't have/use the 1 (or 2) o'clock position for the bolt. You should be ok with the number of bolt used.

I think your on the right path as far as just needing the correct flexplate or Converter.

You will also have to use a Trans controller for the 4L80e. I think there are a few companys that markets them, have you looked into those yet ?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to get the bellhousing from 4.3 V6 4L80E and use that with the convertor and flex plate. I might have a bell if you want to trade for the LS one.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

stand alone trans controllers are expensive, check out TCI...
Old 08-20-2009, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

The transmission will bolt right up to an old style small block. As long as your flexplate is a dual bolt pattern flexplate, then the converter will bolt up as well. If it's not, you can purchase a dual bolt pattern flexplate (such as the TCI 399273). My only concern would be the pilot length of the converter. It will be really close to bottoming out in your crankshaft. Just make sure that the converter pulls up to the flexplate without the flexplate bending. You should be able to slide the converter all of the way to the flexplate by hand. If you can't, then the converter will have to be modified.

Originally Posted by walapus
Where are the adapter kits for bolting a lsx style transmission (I'm looking at 2004 4l80e) to a gen1 small block chevy? I see them for going the other way...what will I need to make this work?
Old 08-20-2009, 04:18 PM
Launching!

As mentioned above the pilot length should be the only thing that needs checked.

Rossler also has a manual trans harness for $250ish that doesn't require a computer to control the 4l60 and 4l80

Quick Reply: late model transmission behind a sbc