Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel tank and pump from a Caprice or Roadmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel tank and pump from a Caprice or Roadmaster?

I'm doing a LS1 swap for my El Camino -69 and now I'm searching for a fuel tank. I've been reading somewhere that a tank from a Caprice or Roadmaster wagon 92-96 will fit pretty well after some modifications.

Has anyone tried this and can confirm it?

Is the original fuel pump and regulator in these tanks able to feed a ls1 with the correct pressure?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it does but requires some floor mods. where does the filler neck on your elky come out? Is it under the plate like a chevelle or in the quarter like the later ones? If it is in the quarter then you would need a roadmaster wagon tank.

Dur! I just saw you were asking about a wagon tank. my bad!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the fuel pump is only setup for the L99 or Iron LT1 FI setup.. the standard fuel pressure is set for 43.5 PSI... it will get you up and running, but will not meet any heavy foot Gen III/IV requirement (57 PSI).

Good news is that you can get HP pump like a Walbro will fit right on, I am using the Racetronix Pump (Walbro) and Wiring harness setup for a B-Body on my Chevelle with 94-96 B-Body tank. For my Chevelle, I only had to trim the frame about 3/16" x 9" to give the frame to tank clearance on each side.

I am not sure about the El and Wagon setups, so you better check with the Elco guys.. (I think I have read that the tank may not fix ??)
Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey bczee. do you have the part # for that fuel pump. i did an ls1 swap into my 69 camaro and used a caprice tank and fuel pump. you say that pump is only at 43.5 psi. it runs good,but have had some trouble starting it after its been running some times, like it floods you smell gas bad. had to take the air intake hose off and open up the tb to get air in, 5 to 10 min later it started right up. maybe that is my problem, to low fuel psi. is that pump a drop in with no mods in the caprice (plastic) tank mike
Old 08-30-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

It should be a drop in. Racetronix sell Walbro pump, Wiring kit and pump/wire kits.. This Walbro pump should drop right in on the any B-Body tank.

http://www.racetronix.com/RX-BLT1-FPKG.html

I would suggest you get the Plus system for the Bulkhead Connector & Wiring Assembly, I was having problem with my pump not working, it would cut out.. after looking at the sender for the OE< Bulkhead, it was loose and burned !... was not making a solid connection and the current was jumping inside the terminal and connector !

If you smell gas and the plugs and cylinders are flooded, you could have a bad or leaky injector(s).

Last edited by bczee; 08-30-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have the complete tank.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default i've done some homework on this one...

El camino swap tanks... I'm so sick of this... only cuz im doing the same swap (68 tho) and I've been in pursuit of the right tank for about 4 months now. Not many options and its hard to get the info I need.

From what I've found, the mid 90s b-body tanks (roadmaster wagon, caprice etc.) hangs down below the body lines of A-bodies. I've seen a few pics of it and in my opinion its not pretty-but i am a perfectionist. I'm sure that with the right amount of cutting and fab work, you can tuck it up there pretty high and make it pretty and functional. I've also heard, but without supporting pics, that you will still need to build your own filler neck if you go with the b-body tank. I guess the stock one cannot be modified correctly to work in an elco... again, i havent sen pics, so its still here-say.

To each there own here, but the best option in my mind is the Spectre Premium Industries tank. Its a factory, car specific steel tank with welded or stamped in baffles and comes with an LS1 capable in tank pump. I've heard some people complain about the in tank pump that comes with it... but at least its setup to accept any intank pump that would fit a late model camaro. So, its the same dimensions as your stock tank, it would bolt in--without any modification, comes with a high flow, intank pump, its baffled so slosh isnt an issue, and (from what i've seen) it comes with a new filler neck. Everything bolts right up.

I know i'm blabbing on and on here, but im not done.
This is the tank im after because it meets every criteria im after. Problem is, no one has it. I've ordered it 3 times, had my order cancelled 3 times, dealt with ******** repeatedly who claim they have it in stock... I've been in contact with Spectre (the manufacturer who will not sell directly to the public) for about a month now. According to the guy i'm in contact with there, they plan on restocking these tanks in the next week or two, and i should FINALLY get mine in another 3 or so weeks.

If any of this interests you, please pm me-- more interest means i might get mine sooner, and i can tell you all i've learned and what spectre distributor sells it the cheapest.

sorry if i've put anyone to sleep

ps: part number is GM34JFI
Old 08-31-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

As with all things and parts. There comes Pro's and Con's.. and sometimes.. lack of on the shelf stock for parts in high demand !

The B-body tank is a cheap conversion to do. I got my Tank for $50.00, Racetronix system for under $150 (at the time).. made some new tank straps for $5.00. and I was up and running for just a bit over $200 with a Walbro 255 pump, great wiring harness and relays. You can cheap out by not using all of that Stainless Steel Braided lines and AN fittings.. FI rated hose and clamps. But that is up to you.

Yes it does hang down a bit, but I have not had any problem of hitting anything (I do hit my header and oil pan once in a while, but never the tank). I did cut a raised access panel for he sender and lines in the trunk. I just trimed the frame to give the plastic tank some room from rubbing.
At the time I did my swap. there were only the $1200+ (Rock and Rick's) as options.. and I figured at the time, I could use the $$ else where to get mine up and running.. and did.

This B-Body swap is not for everyone, but it well work for those on the Budget side.. and that extra few gallon of gas is a nice thing too ! 23g x 25+mpg = I could almost get 600 miles a tank with 4.11 gears that I have @ 70-80mph.. ! wonder how far I could go with highway gears.. ??

oh well.. enough of my blabbing.. next !
Old 08-31-2009, 11:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ok say you get a junkyard B body tank (tank only). do you still need a fuel pump/sender from a B body to mount the walbro pump in or does the walbro pump have everything you need?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you read the write up on Racetronix.. the kit (pump) is to replace only the OEM pump on the OEM sender/pickup.. so. yes you would need to have the tank and sender/pickup.

One plus is that the Sender fuel level gauge is also 0-90 ohm.. some most 60's and 70's GM cars fuel guage will work with the B-Body's sender !

Some of used the tanks straps also.. I built new ones cause mine ddin't come with them.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont mean to jack, but will this B body tank work in a 80's G body?? The G body and 70s A body cars are quite similar.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

I'm running this "B" body tank in my '68 Cutlass and do have some problems.

With anything less than a half tank or so, under hard acceleration the pump starves. I the car falls flat on its face. Not pretty.

They call this tank "baffled" or "Sumped" but when I look down inside all this amounts to is a few short pieces of plastic that rise up in the area by the pump. This does very little to keep fuel at the pump when other forces are at work. I believe the inlet to my pump is very close to the bottom of the tank.

Anything under 1/4 tank and I can't even normally accelerate from a stop light.

Are others having this problem? I could use some help.

If I had this to do again I'd consider running the B-body pump to a small reservoir up by the engine. - (swirl pot? Is that what is called?) I'd run a return line back to the tank. I use either and internal or external pump (Walbro..) from that fuel source to the motor.

Eric.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have had not such problem with mine B-Body tank.. The so called sump is like a cup or bucket.. (be a while since I looked in it now).
The return line should also dump right back into the sump (bucket). To help assist in keeping the sump full.

What have to done to look into your starvation problem.. other causes ?... Is the sock possition correct. Possible leak in the feed line between the pump and sender feed tube? Possible faulty pump ? (asking in case I do see any of your problems in the future).
Old 04-05-2010, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

do you know what year they started using the plastic bucket around the fuel pump? i got my pump out of a car at the junk yard and didnt pay attention to do the year and it doesnt have the bucket.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default elcamino

Originally Posted by 68Hybrid
El camino swap tanks... modified correctly to work in an elco... again, i havent sen pics, so its still here-say.

ps: part number is GM34JFI
Here is where I got my Specra EFI tank when nobody else had them
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/82...uct/FN-GM34BFI

Here is your part number that you listed
http://www.tanks-to-pans.com/site/82...uct/FN-GM34JFI
Old 04-06-2010, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Call them and ask them to check for avalibility. No one had the tank I needed without the extra vent tubes. Rockauto.com wasn't stocking them AGAIN. wwwtanks-to-pans.com only had the two extra vent tanks instock.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From 90-96

imapla
caprice
buick roadmaster
fleetwood
all used the same gas tank/sender efi w/5.7l

Quick Reply: Fuel tank and pump from a Caprice or Roadmaster?