Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grounding issue? (3rdgen bird/lm7/t56)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grounding issue? (3rdgen bird/lm7/t56)

So I'm trying to fire off my motor and it cranks fine and sputters which I'm pretty sure is an issue with the IAT showing -39* on the tech II but my real question is the ground strap on the back of the block gets SUPER hot while cranking. Hot enough to burn skin. What would cause this? I moved the battery to behind the passanger seat and run a 0ga wire up to a distrbution stud in the enginebay that splits 0ga to the starter and 4thgen fbody fuseblock spliced in the truck harness. Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iansane
So I'm trying to fire off my motor and it cranks fine and sputters which I'm pretty sure is an issue with the IAT showing -39* on the tech II but my real question is the ground strap on the back of the block gets SUPER hot while cranking. Hot enough to burn skin. What would cause this? I moved the battery to behind the passanger seat and run a 0ga wire up to a distrbution stud in the enginebay that splits 0ga to the starter and 4thgen fbody fuseblock spliced in the truck harness. Any help would be appreciated!
is it a single wire?
what about the one near the alternator in the front.
maybe a short.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Come to think of it, I don't know that I bolt a ground strap back on the front of the motor...

I'll bolt one in and see what happens, thanks. Now to figure out why my IAT says -39* C
Old 08-30-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm trying to fire off my motor and it cranks fine and sputters which I'm pretty sure is an issue with the IAT showing -39* on the tech II but my real question is the ground strap on the back of the block gets SUPER hot while cranking. Hot enough to burn skin. What would cause this?
Sounds like you REALLY need to add another couple of ground straps, since the one you have is trying to move too much current - which is why it's getting so hot (think of the filament of a light bulb).

I'll bet that if you add another 2 or 3 ground straps, she'll run better too.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im not really sure what your specific issue is... but I can tell you that you cant go wrong with more ground straps. Im running 4 NICE ground straps right now. Before, I had 2 I think. And my lights would dim under WOT, and I had charging issues. I added clean, new straps, and all of that went away. I have the factory position, the battery ground, one on the drivers side to the chassis rail, and another one off the rear of the drivers head.

Try adding a nice thick strap somewhere, if that doesnt do it, start looking at all your circuits and make sure you dont have something feeding into the wrong area.

J.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...SUPER hot while cranking.
while cranking is the key. You also need a 0 gauge ground wire from the battery to the block. if you don't have that then your starter current is trying to go through the small engine ground, through the chassis and back to the battery. That can be several hundred amps.

Actually 0 gauge is probably overkill, but you need it to match the gauge of the positive lead or you have just wasted money on the oversized positive lead.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys! I'll try a couple beefy grounds and see what happens. I'm not sweating the cost of cables. I billed them to my work.

Last edited by iansane; 09-01-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! *breath* It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs! It runs!

Ground issue was just like you guys said, I was lacking sufficient ones. I added actual ground cables to both front sides of the block and my IAT problem was a dumb one. I had the +5v signal from the pcm on one terminal of the sensor and the other wasn't grounded like it should have been it was getting a +12v signal off my 'sensor' fuse. Whoops....

Now to get the body work done and hopefully enjoy one day this summer with the top down!
Old 09-02-2009, 06:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Old 09-02-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats man!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Well...spoke to soon. I figured the motor turning was great sign but it still doesn't actually fire off.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

That just means you are on to the next problem.

Still progress.

Quick Reply: Grounding issue? (3rdgen bird/lm7/t56)