Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 vette fuel filter not working on my hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 vette fuel filter not working on my hybrid

Hey friends, having a problem see if you can help! I have a 94 camaro 6.0 lq9 im using the returneless fuel rail with vette fuel filter from oreilys. Well my fuel pump is working, but my return line from the filter to the tank is bone dry.. No gas is being returned. Does the filter have to have a good ground for it to work. The car will starte but only run for a minute then die.. I had the truck rail on there before with no issues, took it off becuase it was ugly and sticking up to high over the ls1 intake.. Realy need some help here, im pretty sure the line are hooked up right and the filter is in the stock location of the old one.. I know there should be some gas coming from the returne an also when i pulled the feed line from the tank it sparyed out like a gyser.. So something is wrong some where............................................. ... Thanks easy obrien, from arkansas
Old 08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Defective/blocked filter, bad fuel pump, or the pump is vapor locked would be my guesses. If you have a fuel pressure gauge on the supply line, you should be able to eliminate the possibility of a faulty pump or a vapor lock. It should show 55-60 psi. If that's good then check the return line from the filter to the tank and the tank vent lines - make sure they haven't been obstructed. If all else fails, replace the corvette filter.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

id start with the filter first being u just bought it you can exchange.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of a new one being bad, so I would recheck the plumbing before taking it back. The end with two fittings is the tank side of the filter, the 3/8" line should come from the pump, and the 5/16" line should be the return to the tank.

If the pump is pumping up to full pressure, fuel should shoot from the 5/16" line. If the pump is not building full pressure, no fuel will come from the line, so check fuel pressure. The fact the engine dies, could point to the pump not making sufficient pressure. The in-tank submerged pumps are very unforgiving about being run dry. I ruined a brand-new Walbro pump in a very short period of time by running it out of fuel. I kept trying to re-start my car after it had run out of gas and melted the nylon end plate of the pump.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the lines going into the FPR also.. you might have the Feed and Return switched.. that will cause problems.. (don't ask me how I know !)
Old 08-31-2009, 10:51 PM
Teching In

well from you guys i starting to think its the pump, its humming realy loud and the filter is only a few weeks old so they should give me a new one if that the problem.