Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swap 78' transam

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap 78' transam

I was thinking about doing a ls1 or lq9 swap in a 78' trans am. what i was wondering is if i could still use a 350 turbo. also where could i get motor mounts. pics of the car in my photo album. thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes you can use a t-350 but why? get the trans too and add o/drive- it adds to your mileage savings do a search for second gen swap you should fild alot of them and welcome to the board!
Old 09-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 78 trans am should have had a pontiac motor from the factory.A pontiac transmission regardless of the size, thm 350 or thm 400 will not bolt up to a chevy motor. Different bolt patern for the chevy. Like zman said ,why would you want to anyway.I used transdapt plates with small block chevy clam shell mounts.I used stock rubber insert type frame mounts from a 1980 camaro ( with chevy small block).yes I had to locate my motor but I was able to use a stock f body ls1 pan, and everything fit great.I also used edelbrock swap headers, look and fit nice.Do not use the hummer pan ,hangs too low.Everyone says that their adaptor plates will work with the stock frame holes, but don,t believe them. You had a pontiac motor and most kits for 2nd gens are for replacing a chevy small block.Just line the ls1 up so everything clears (headers or exaust, alt , oil pan, steering ect ,then level and square the motor in the frame, then drill new holes.Yes you going to have to shorten you driveshaft and do some work to your transmission crossmember but then that will change depending on with transmission you use.Sounds like alot of work, well it is, but with help from ls1 tech, the end result will be well worth the effort. P. S. stay clear of Brp 2nd gen swap kit that they say was engineered for your car that,s in its 4th or 5th design.I had to sell my 3rd design kit on ebay just to recoup half of the $495.00 they charge me .I guess I could have hacked up my frame and did without a/c and used there kit.....NOT

Quick Reply: ls1 swap 78' transam