Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter problems

my old starter would click when i turn the key [ gear hitting the fly wheel] but would only start if i keep kickin the key over and over. So i bought a summit mini starter and its doing it also. The new starter wont even start the car tho, when we turn the key the gear just comes out and hits the fly wheel.

Anyone ever have this prob i have no clue what to do now. It almost seems real weak when the starter gear comes out, but turns over fine

help please
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

did you ck all your grounds, conns.
sometimes the starter needs to be shimmed for the proper flywheel/gear mesh
if i have a used starter, i take them apart and grease the bearings in the nose piece, when it gets dry it really makes the starter work hard
Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

i greased my old one, the starter now is a brand new summitracing mini starter, didnt get any shims with it , i'll check my grounds and see what happens
Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your old one would only start after clicking and clicking could it maybe be your ignition switch, have you tried starting it another way, with a remote starter switch or even the old fashioned screwdriver method? one more thing to rule out

also, where is your battery mounted, and have you ever have problems like the weak starting before?

Last edited by cooks 7; 09-02-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add question
Old 09-02-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

i'll try to starter it another way and see what it does. Batt is in the trunk but ive never had a prob before and ive tried another batt and still the same thing.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What size are the batt. cables?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM
On The Tree

I had a similar problem with a new starter. The bendix would engage and hit the flexplate but would not mesh and turn the engine over. I tried everything. I checked the cables and grounds numerous times but still nothing. I had the starter tested at 2 different places that rebuild starters and they said it was fine. I finally broke down and bought another new starter and it worked first time and has worked every time so in the end it was a problem with a new starter that checked fine on the bench.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

the old one and the new one both are doing the same thing. I'll need to check on size. Its a huge wire that runs up front powers a fews things then drops a little in size
Old 09-03-2009, 01:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More often than not that is caused by excess voltage drop in the cables running power to the starter.

I have seen dirty battery posts cause that more times than I can count. A couple of times the posts looked clean, but didn't flow enough current until I took a wire brush to them.

How do you have the trunk mounted battery wired to the motor? Do you have a separate ground wire running all the way to the block? Pull apart and clean each and every connection.

Once that is good, try jumpering power straight to the S term on the starter. You can use a screw driver like someone mentioned or use a jumper wire. That will check out your ignition switch circuit.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok guy checked everything and cleaned it up. It wont start with the key only pushes the gear out a little. Now it will start if i jump it at the starter every time the way it should. What could this be, the inj switch, or something else in the inj.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is too much voltage drop in the cricuit feeding power to the solenoid. it could be the ignition switch, or it could be any of the connectors or wiring along that circuit. A connector might be dirty or not fully seated. you could also have a chaffed wire partially shorting out to ground.

What you basically need to do is trace the wire from the S terminal on the starter back to the battery and check everything.

I would start with checking all the major connections to make sure nothing is loose. Then ohm out the contacts on the ignition switch. They should all have low ohms. you could also try jumpering out the ignition switch to see if you can isolate it down to the switch.

If none of that works then you need to trace the whole length of the wire, pulling every connector and cleaning it, while examining the wire insulation for damage.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:15 AM
Teching In

sounds like the ignition starter switch....dunno what kind of car you have but on most GM's its mounted down under the dash and attached to the steering column....they have a tendency to do stupid stuff when they go bad
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

sorry guys its a 1989 mustang, i'll check some stuff in a few mins and see what i can find out

thanks guys