Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need info on the msd box

Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need info on the msd box

i am going to build a new lsx based motor, it will be a 6.0 truck motor with L92 heads, i see that edelboke has a msd box to use the coil packs , is the edelbroke by its self and the box or do you buy it separate or what? is there a better box ? do you have to have a lap top for either ? or can you if i wanted to ..thanks
Old 09-09-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The edelbrock box has pins that you can replace, pre-determined tunes. The MSD box allows you to adjust your timing to your motor via a laptop. I would go with the MSD and learn to use a laptop
Old 09-09-2009, 06:48 AM
Launching!

With the Edelbrock box you can only use their timing "pills" which give you several specific timing curves. So what Edelbrock gives you is what you get. The MSD box also has timing "pills", but you can also hook the MSD up to your laptop and you can make your own timing curves. I went with the MSD box for my carbed 6.0/L92 build because of the the tuning latitude the MSD box offers.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 AM
Teching In

just buy hp tuners it does the same thing
Old 09-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by juanioz28
Does HP Tuners run the ingnition and come with a harness, or just allow you to tune? I was under the impression HP Tuners just pluged into your existing PCM and allowed you to tune it.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Teching In

so you buy the intake for the L92 heads and then the msd box separate ? and this msd box plugs directly into the senors ..etc..on the motor to run the coil packs..i prefer to use a laptop. it is not a big deal..which one seems to work better
Old 09-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Teching In

your best bet would be to buy the msd 6010 ignition box so you can give your engine a custom timing tune. it also has rev hi and rev lo features i have it on my ls1 powered camaro and it works great
Old 09-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by john-dickjr
so you buy the intake for the L92 heads and then the msd box separate ? and this msd box plugs directly into the senors ..etc..on the motor to run the coil packs..i prefer to use a laptop. it is not a big deal..which one seems to work better
Yes, MSD box is separate. The MSD runs your ignition, no PCM or harness. MSD box comes with a its own harness that plugs into crank sensor, cam sensor, coils and MAP sensor if you choose to run one. Thats all. Comes with software to create your own custom timing and MAP curves. 6010 box for 24x reluctor wheel 6012 box for 58x reluctor wheel. Like I said I like the MSD over the others because you can use your laptop to create your own timing curves.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by juanioz28
I think I remember hearing of somebody doing this. They just pretty much deleted the fuel side of things and set up the computer to do it's thing with the timing. But that only works for those with the complete EFI setup. Isn't HPtuners about the same cost as an MSD box?
Old 09-09-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by team39763
I think I remember hearing of somebody doing this. They just pretty much deleted the fuel side of things and set up the computer to do it's thing with the timing. But that only works for those with the complete EFI setup. Isn't HPtuners about the same cost as an MSD box?
not really a hptuners is easily 500+, and u still need the knowhow on how to work with it or pay a qualified tuner who is willing to configure a tune for your setup.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by john-dickjr
the original edelbrock version is alot simpler to work with, no laptop is needed, it is based on ignition curve "pills". very easy to work with, it comes with a few choices, from stock cam pill to very high performance. but only works with 24x.
i have used this box before and it worked very well for me. pretty much just plug and play.

if your looking for a brand new edelbrock box pn 6000, i got one. since my engine is 58x i cant use it. bnib. lmk
Old 09-09-2009, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the edelbrock pills provide around 36 degrees timing. A no for ls engines and a big NO for forced induction. I wouldn't buy one.

Another option is the fast xim for around $550
Old 09-09-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

The Edlebrock box is made by MSD. It is the exact same box, just minus the laptop connector. Anything you can do on the Edlebrock box you can do on the MSD box. If you want to program it with pills, you have the same pills available. But if you want to do things like increase the rev limiter from the factory 5500 RPM setting, you can't do that with the Edlebrock box but can with the MSD box.

Don't fear the laptop. it is super easy to use. The whole MSD box set up is super easy also. Just plug in the connectors and for 99% of the guys it just works.

IMO there is absolutely no reason to buy the Edlebrock box short of getting a cheap price on it. Sorry if i hurt anyone's resale options.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 71 chevy
I believe the edelbrock pills provide around 36 degrees timing. A no for ls engines and a big NO for forced induction. I wouldn't buy one.

Another option is the fast xim for around $550
thats not correct, the curves all have different timing degrees, one of the hotter ones is around 30+, but the stock and ls6 curve area round 25 degreess. i had no probs with that box and the vehicle its in went 10's when i owned and the new owner runs hi 9's with spray.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
The Edlebrock box is made by MSD. It is the exact same box, just minus the laptop connector. Anything you can do on the Edlebrock box you can do on the MSD box. If you want to program it with pills, you have the same pills available. But if you want to do things like increase the rev limiter from the factory 5500 RPM setting, you can't do that with the Edlebrock box but can with the MSD box.

Don't fear the laptop. it is super easy to use. The whole MSD box set up is super easy also. Just plug in the connectors and for 99% of the guys it just works.

IMO there is absolutely no reason to buy the Edlebrock box short of getting a cheap price on it. Sorry if i hurt anyone's resale options.
why would that box only let a ls motor turn 5500 rpm, is there no way around that ?
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default ebrock/msd ignition curves chart

ebrock/msd ignition curves chart

Last edited by NemeSS; 07-11-2011 at 12:41 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need info on the msd box