Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newb question on ground bolts

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb question on ground bolts

i'm running a ground strap from the firewall to a bolt in one of the heads. Is it ok to put antiseize on that bolt? I'm worried that if I get some antiseize on the ground strap ring terminal, it might affect the connection.

Let me know if I'm being paranoid; I have reservations about bolts going into the heads dry. Thanks guys
Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can put antisieze on the threads, I haven`t ever seen any problems from doing that. If your really worried about it get cop-a-graf antisieze. It is a copper compound antisieze that will actually increase the conductivity of the connection. But I have always used the regular antisieze without any problems.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your just putting it on the threads and the contact area's of the strap and head are good and clean.. you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Teching In

I don't mean to be a SA but if you have ANY doubts to your grounding check it with an Ohm meter. With a good ground one should have very low resistance depending on material and distance. As a fun test you could take a measurement with and without antisieze on the bolt threads. My guess it should read about the same. Don't forget antisieze is used on spark plugs and they work just fine as they need a good ground too.

Danno74Z
Old 09-20-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Danno74Z
I don't mean to be a SA but if you have ANY doubts to your grounding check it with an Ohm meter. With a good ground one should have very low resistance depending on material and distance. As a fun test you could take a measurement with and without antisieze on the bolt threads. My guess it should read about the same. Don't forget antisieze is used on spark plugs and they work just fine as they need a good ground too.

Danno74Z
Good point Danno. I tested a wire that I doused with antiseize with a test light and it lit up just fine. Testing resistance is a good idea though, that would be a good experiment.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by G-Body
You can put antisieze on the threads, I haven`t ever seen any problems from doing that. If your really worried about it get cop-a-graf antisieze. It is a copper compound antisieze that will actually increase the conductivity of the connection. But I have always used the regular antisieze without any problems.
I couldn't find any of that cop-graf stuff at my parts store. What stores carry it?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

If you can wait a couple of days:
http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/coanse.html
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also use some dielectric silicone. Like for ignitions.

I bought a huge tube of this stuff and use it for everything, especially things with rubber. I rub a little of it on every electrical connection, especially the weatherpack connectors like on the engine sensors. The trick is to keep things from oxidizing (rusting) and fouling the connection over time.

WD 40 is also a good choice for this.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:01 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry, I looked and it is cop-graf, no a in the name. Not really something your likely to find at an autoparts store as much as at an electrical supply house.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will the anti-seize or dielectric silicone keep the connection rust-free over time? I am a little worried that bare metal ground connections will roll out the red carpet for rust after a few years of being exposed to the elements.

Any other suggestions to keep those connections rust-free?

Quick Reply: newb question on ground bolts