Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BMW e36 LS1/M6 Conversion Project

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BMW e36 LS1/M6 Conversion Project

For sale is my BMW/ LS1 V8 engine conversion project. I no longer have time to complete this project and have decided to get rid of it and move on. The car is a 1993 BMW 318iS. The motor is a Chevy LS1 V8 with a manual 6 speed transmission. All of the major and expensive components for this project are included in the purchase price.

The car itself was an everyday driver until the timing chain broke and bent the valves. The previous owner decided not to repair the engine and sold it to me as is. It’s the two door coupe version, which is perfect for this project. The coupe is lighter and sportier looking.

The LS1 engine and transmission combination are out of a 1998 Z28 Camaro that had about 85K miles on it. I know this because I bought the entire car that had minor body damage. The car was still driveable, so I know for a fact that this engine runs. The engine ran great with good oil pressure, the transmission shifted great, and the clutch was tight. This is much more reassuring than the engine packages found on e-bay, when the running condition of the engine and transmission are unknown. All supporting components for the swap were also kept from the donor car.

A lot of progress has already been made on this project and most of the difficult tasks have been completed. Most importantly, the engine and transmission are mounted in the car. The engine and transmission mounts are fabricated and the new drive train fits in the car like it was made for it. Below are lists of work done and work that needs to be done.

Work Done:
Engine mounts fabricated
Transmission mount fabricated
Shifter opening modified to fit new shifter
Engine and transmission mounted in car
Corvette exhaust manifolds modified to fit in car
Hydroboost brake booster mounted and brake pedal modified to fit (original vacuum assisted booster interfered with back of engine)
AIR injection pump mounted and hoses run
Heater valve relocated (interfered with back of engine)
PCM computer mounted
Higher capacity M3 radiator mounted (BMW M3 radiator has about the same capacity as the Camaro radiator has)

Work that needs to be done:
Finish installing cooling hoses
Wire the PCM computer, charging/starting system cabling, temperature gauge and cooling fans
Run new hydraulic lines to power steering rack and hydro boost brake booster
Mount Camaro fuel pump in fuel tank and connect fuel lines
Custom exhaust system needs to be made

Many of the parts from the Camaro donor car were kept and are included with the sale. Some of these parts won’t be needed for the conversion, so you could sell them to get cash back. These parts are listed below and are shown in the pictures. The remaining BMW parts are also shown in the pictures.

Camaro Parts
Radiator
Driveshaft
Body wire harness
Exhaust Y-Pipe
Oxygen Sensors (four of them)
Fuel lines
Fuel Pump
Mass Airflow Sensor
Air intake box
Cooling fans
Cruise Control Module
Air Conditioning Condensor
Air Conditioning Evaporator

BMW Parts
Driveshaft
Original four cylinder radiator
A/C compressor, condensor, and evaporator
Air filter box
Various Cooling hoses

Considering the magnitude of this project; only a modest amount of work remains to be done. I’ve gone through all the effort of tracking down the pieces of this project and brought them together. If this car were bought now, it would make a great winter project. It would be ready for the spring and would be truly unique. After all the time and money I’ve put into this car I hate to see it go. But, I just can’t find the time to finish it. Describing all the details in this advertisement are nearly impossible; so feel free to contact me with questions. Also feel free to come and see the car in person.

Local pick-up is preferred, but I’m not opposed to transporting the car for a reasonable distance. These details need to be worked out before bidding on the car.

The car is located in State College, PA. Please contact me at rahebel@yahoo.com, 814-571-8813. $5K OBO.
Attached Thumbnails BMW e36 LS1/M6 Conversion Project-engine.jpg  

Quick Reply: BMW e36 LS1/M6 Conversion Project