Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Location of engine Vin Number

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Location of engine Vin Number

I just purchased a 2001 LS1 engine and 4l60e trans combo and want to confirm the vin number. Where is the vin number located on the engine block? Please advise and thanks for your imput in advance!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

i think i remember seeing it down by where the oil pan meets w/ the block
Old 09-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default Location of LS1 engine Vin Number (HELP Please)

I still can't find an etched number on my block to verify Vin number. I checked above the oil filter above the oil pan with no success. The engine is out of a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am. Can someone please described where the factory "etched" Vin number is located on this engine I just purchased. Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old 09-23-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it is a laser eched number on the driver / side of the block. it is right near the oil filter and where the bell housing mates to the block. like between the two bolts bosses for the driver side of the bell housing.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS1 Engine Vin Number Location

Originally Posted by bczee
it is a laser eched number on the driver / side of the block. it is right near the oil filter and where the bell housing mates to the block. like between the two bolts bosses for the driver side of the bell housing.
Thanks BCZEE for info. Best I can tell I located a 9 diget etched number but it's very difficult to read on the side of the block near the trans bolts. Is there any secret to making these etched numbers stand out a little darker? Also, is there any matching vin number on the transmission or any other location on the engine that I can reference? Please advise and thanks again for your assistance!

Chuck

Quick Reply: Location of engine Vin Number