Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83, Malibu wagon. In tank fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 83, Malibu wagon. In tank fuel pump?

I know I can just use a in line pump, but I have heard they are noisy and prone to failure. Wiether this is speculation or fact, is hearsay. So I would like to go with a in tank pump. I have a couple of questions though. Any information is very appreciated.

On a side note, I have a pump from a 02 Silverado tank that I do not know if it will work with the Malibu wagon tank, seeing that it is deeper than a standard car's tank.

1) Is there a in tank pump I can use as a direct fit replacement? (aftermarket, oem, or otherwise)

2) If I use a updated in tank pump, will it make my fuel guage stop waving from slosh in the tank and give me a semi-accurate reading all the time?

3) If the awnser to #2 is no is there a simple fix to correct this?

4) If all eles fails and I have to run a inline fuel pump. Can I leave the stock unit in the tank and use it to feed the new pump?
Old 10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No, there is not really a direct replacement. You could check to see about getting a v6 EFI wagon tank and sending unit, but I`m not sure if they even made them. I would probably measure your tank depth and find a later model sending unit that fits, complete with the fuel bucket setup and graft it into your tank. Leave your sending unit in the tank too to use for your fuel gauge. If your fuel gauge is waving from fuel slosh it sounds like the resistor on it might be bad. If you pull the gauge out of the dash there is normally a flat 100 ohm resistor on the back between the terminals that is there to slow the needle movement and balance the slosh out. Ocassionally they do go bad and then the gauge will wave back and forth whenever the car is moving.

Quick Reply: 83, Malibu wagon. In tank fuel pump?