Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRPhotrods

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Default BRPhotrods

Anyone use their swap kit for a 2nd gen Camaro? Their web site says the F-car pan hangs down some, so they recommend the CTS-V. I thought the F-car pan was shallower. Can someone clear that up? Was the site a typo and they meant a truck pan?

Anyone with this setup, how close is the back of the engine to the firewall?

thanks,
Jim
Old 10-02-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

y dont u just contact them direct, they got another thread going here right now about 3rd gen parts, and brp is answering everybodies questions.
thye will give u all the info u need.
Old 10-03-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default tried

I tried. I always get a recording. Not a way to run a business
Old 10-04-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

anyone......?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been at the show, we mocked up with a F-pan but had a LH8 on the hedder test engine so i dont have pics of it on the car. I have also already sent you emails and photos of the hedders in the car to you and said we did not have any photos of the 2f with the F-Pan. There are alot of people with this set up on this site. Can someone post a pic of a 2f with a F-pan to show it does not hang down? I got some with a aftermarket front clip if that will work?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Staging Lane

I know that your working on a second generation camaro,but what generation Brp kit are you trying to use?Brp has changed this kit 4 time,s that I know of,and I,am sure the current next generation kit won,t be the last.Folk,s at this site have been have been trying to make there stuff work as advertised for quite sometime , only to find nobody did any ( mock up). Theres nothing wrong on improving on a good setup if you had a good setup but,s its costing all of us money for them to figure out what to do next.I don,t see anyone(not named Phil) posting that there second gen kit for brp worked great.Fool me once shame on you,fool me again ,shame on me.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

BRPhotrods,
Ok, I wasn't sure if that was you or not. I found it odd that you were offering used pans. I will try calling tomarrow. Your website is confusing. i.e. " The Cadillac CTS-V oil pan is an option with this kit for better ground clearance on lowered cars " the Caddy pan is deeper than the F-pan.

mrtywalsh :
I have a 70 Camaro. Any pan sticking below the crossmember is a chance I am not willing to take. (You don't know MY luck) If I can not find a kit with a GM pan that meets this, I'll just mod my truck pan. and get Edelbrock headers and mounts. I just prefer to use a complete kit.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mrtywalsh
Brp has changed this kit 4 time,s that I know of,and I,am sure the current next generation kit won,t be the last.Folks at this site have been have been trying to make there stuff work as advertised for quite sometime , only to find nobody did any (mock up). Theres nothing wrong on improving on a good setup if you had a good setup but, its costing all of us money for them to figure out what to do next. I don"t see anyone(not named Phil) posting that there second gen kit for brp worked great.Fool me once shame on you,fool me again ,shame on me.
None of my BRP stuff worked out for my Impala either... Headers hit the floor board, lost the e-brake, was less then 1/2 inch from the clutch master... Took forever to get, etc etc... I had the mini-booster like they said, I even had a hyro-boost for awhile (even smaller) Hopefully they get their act together, I didn't even get to return my last set of headers (that didn't fit either...) from them since it was over their 60 day return policy... Didn't matter they sent me the wrong mounts the first time and their stuff just plain didn't fit after that... Not to forget my 20% re-stocking fee and all the shipping I had to pay to return the parts that didn't fit... It also took forever waiting for the first set of headers, they don't normally pick-up the phone, etc... At the time I thought they just bailed on me and I almost let me credit card company handle it guess I should've just done it that way.

But after all the problems I had the last thing I thought I'd have would be issues on would be returning this last set of headers (which still look brand new) But in the end I just got some BS about their return policy.

The sad part is that I work a dealership that deals in nothing but muscle cars, sports cars and exotics, and I get a ton of people always asking me for information about parts and companies for their own projects. But there is no way I could suggest anyone to BRP anymore. All I have to show for trying to deal with them is a cut floor board and some headers that I can't use.

Good luck with your 2nd gen build, those cars are getting very popular! I've done 1st gen LSX swaps, 3rd gen LSX swaps, but my next F-Body will be a 73' Camaro so post pics as you go!

Last edited by Brads454; 10-06-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

all ive ever read about BRP is bad,i do know they are on their 4th revision (maybe more?) and everyone still says the same thing.. their parts dont fit, and there is no engineering done at all...if a company doesnt answer their phone, bottom line, they dont care...
Old 10-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

I have got there motor mount ands long tube headers in my Nova. The motor mounts and Headers fit awesome but their trans cross member needs some work. I also helped a friend with his 88 Monte Carlo LS swap, motor mounts fit but trans cross member hit the floor pan and none of the cross member holes lined up. If you don't mind a little chop and hack on the cross member the rest of the kit is pretty good. We both used the LH8 pan nad it hangs a little low for my liking but I will run it.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Jimbo 1367, just go with the Edelbrock mounts and edelbrock headers, you will not be disappointed.The Edelbrock plates are setup for the f body pan, and it does not hang below the crossmember.Have to do a little work to your orginal cross member but it's still better then the chincey cross member that came from some kids swing set that Brp over charges for in there kit.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

We constantly try to update our kits and yes we have done several revisions since 1999! The kits are all mocked up on real cars and since the poly kits came out we have worked toward a bolt in style mount for each kit. The location of the engine was hard for our customers to get perfect due to our older non direct bolt in kits. With the bolt in kits we are changing over to we are able to fix a huge issue by allowing the kits to fit in only one spot. This takes the guess work out. We have taken back a lot of kits over the last year from early kits at no charge to our customers to try to make easier installs.

The sites got a mistype that will be fixed on the pan info. We mocked up the hedders and the bolt on kits with the F-Pan for best clearance. But the CTS-V pan will also work. We had a VERY short time where we tested the LH8 but ground clearance became an issue over clearing OEM A/C and we tossed the idea. We are also working on a custom Cast Aluminum oil pan as well that will offer the LH8 clearance at only 5.5in total depth.

The F-pan DOES not hang below the frame at all on a 70-81! The LH8 yes but none on the 98-02 F-Body.

Brad got the very first hedder kit for the B-Body and was given it at a discount and we took all the parts back and had to recoat the hedders and media blast and recoat the kit. We set him up with a set up ML hedders and Phil told him they may or may not work since he returned our kit. The LT did work but the mock up car had no brake proportioning valve, smaller brake booster and a couple other things we did not catch until it was out of the shop. So the kit worked it just took a little more to get it in then other cars. You not bolting in a SBC guys this is a whole new platform and we are trying to make these kits the best out there.

We would take returns on hedders when there bought with a kit, but you were told from Phil that it may work and it have been over 90 days. We can’t guarantee what our parts will do with other kits. Our ML hedders for the 58-64 work great with OUR kit.

The crossmembers only used the OEM hole locations for the
1F, and 3F

The other kits do require two holes to be drilled in the frame, these new trans longer and will not work with the OEM units without mod. The CTS-V will also work on G-Bodys for better ground clearance but you have to run top mount A/C. Also the crossmembers are made from seamless roll cage tubing and I have never had one issue from a crossmember not being strong enough! We have had these take over 800HP and not budge.

We got 30 cars here for mock up so we do have real cars and will do what ever it takes to make these kits the best for each car and truck, not a generic one size fits all.

Shawn

Shawn

Last edited by BRPhotrods; 10-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Staging Lane

i guess its EDELBRCK ! FOR ME! for my 80 T/A
Old 10-06-2009, 09:22 AM
FormerVendor

There is a lot of options for these LSX swaps and all I can say is do what works for your swap. Each style kits has its + and - The bottom line is the LS engine is the wave of the future for gas mileage and power. So no matter how you go LS just do it and enjoy the car.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BRPhotrods
Brad got the very first hedder kit for the B-Body and was given it at a discount and we took all the parts back and had to recoat the hedders and media blast and recoat the kit. We set him up with a set up ML hedders and Phil told him they may or may not work since he returned our kit. The LT did work but the mock up car had no brake proportioning valve, smaller brake booster and a couple other things we did not catch until it was out of the shop. So the kit worked it just took a little more to get it in then other cars. You not bolting in a SBC guys this is a whole new platform and we are trying to make these kits the best out there.

We would take returns on hedders when there bought with a kit, but you were told from Phil that it may work and it have been over 90 days. We can’t guarantee what our parts will do with other kits. Our ML hedders for the 58-64 work great with OUR kit.
How did the headers (LT's) fit if they were hitting the firewall when the car was sitting on the tires on the ground? If I recall correctly you guys fabbed them on a post lift. The B-Body frame flexes so much that when my car was in the air (like the headers were fabbed...) they fit great, but as soon as the car sat on the suspension they hit the body... This was with your kit too... I also had a mini-booster and at one point a hydro-boost setup, you can't get any smaller.

I'm very familiar with the platform, I've done 3 LSX swaps, had 10 different 4th gen F and Y body cars, and done everything from a blown built 408 in a Z06 (84Xrwhp/8XXft lbs...) to 50 state legal 91 Z28 LS1 M6...

Over 90 days? Yesterday it was 60 days... I'll have to see in my paperwork if that's even in there.

I will give it to you the headers are a nice looking product, but they simply didn't fit for me. It's too bad because I was really hoping they would and I wouldn't be out all the time I waited or the money I spent... Those LT's were pretty flawless when you got them back too, even Phil said that specifically on the phone...
Old 10-06-2009, 02:33 PM
FormerVendor

Brad,

I guessed on the time it’s been since the order I don’t have the paper work my thoughts were it had been over 3 months or longer since the order was made. But our return policy is 60 days. Phil does all the refunds so I am not sure what went on there between you. I just know when the hedders are used without kits we are hesitant to take the refund due to the fact we cant guarantee anything when ordered. For the B-Body we are building a bolt in kit and plan to bring the car back in the shop. We use a 4 post lift for all kit fab but Hedman does use a 2 post lift. We do plan to get the 58-64 B-Body back in with a non stripped mock up car to make the bolt in kit and ill have Hedman come to our 4 post lift to check the hedders. What I can do is give someone your email/phone when they call to get the next set that we get ordered. I personally only recommend the ML due to the work it takes to get the LT in. I know we have had customers get these in the car with some heavy work. Even your old set of hedders after it was recoated and went into a non street drag car.

What I would like to do is trade you a complete 1970-81 F-Body kit and LSX girdle, rear brake bracket for those ML hedders you have to show you that the kits do work. I saw your doing a 73 correct? Ill cover shipping on my end and refund the cost of shipping the ML back to me. The kits use the OEM mounting points to align the engine and the hedders fit perfect on the 2Fs. PM and ill get you some priced I have some 1 ¾, 1 ¾ stepped to 1 7/8, and 2in hedders in stock so no wait time on the hedders

A notch for the A/C or a Kwik top mount A/C kit is needed for the swap and the 98-02 F-Pan is recommended.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BRP, good to see you guys on here. Hope you frequent here!

-SS
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

Also glad to see you on here, I have a question on oil pans. I got your kit a couple weeks ago for the 64 chevelle maybe the first kit you sold that is a direct bolt in for the 64. Will the ctsv pan clear of will I have to go a different route.

Thanks, Bob
Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
FormerVendor

Bob, the bolt in kit you got for your 64 will only be bolt in for the LH8. This will allow you to retain the OEM low mount A/C with you engine. The LH8 on the A-Bodys is only about ½ in under the frame. The mounts can be slide back but new holes would have to be drilled for the CTS-V pan and a top mount A/C would need to be used.

Shawn

Also anyone going to the LSX shootout?
Old 10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Staging Lane

You can say what you want good or bad, but I didn't have a problem with them at all. very helpful we called them from teh shop we were working on our car from, they even offered to drive the headers I bought down (only about 90 miles each way eh?)

But everything we bought from them worked great, but again to each their own I guess. I personally wanted to thank them for everything they sold me for the monte.

Quick Reply: BRPhotrods