Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questioning ability to do a swap, please enlighten me

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questioning ability to do a swap, please enlighten me

I have been trying to sell my camaro for a while now and hasnt worked out. I was looking to sell it to get into a foxbody, love the cars. A fwe weeks back my friend suggested that i buy a foxbody and just use my camaro as a donor car for parts. After doing research, i feel as if it would be a lot of fun to do and somewhat unique but i dont want to get into anything that i cant finish.

Main concerns:
-I know nothing about wiring, i see most of you wire yourself. I dont think there is any way I can do that
-Money. I feel like im saving because i already have the car, but i also dont want to dump a ton of money at it, does anyone have a realistic number of what it would cost. I know this is hard to do and pretty general but if people have numbers just throw them out there.
-fabricating. I dont have tools to really fabricate, for example welders, pipe benders, etc. How much fabrication is usually involved.
-Lastly, if i were to swap an ls1 in a foxbody, how would the gauge cluster still work?

Any help is much appreciated, i know i need to do more research but i feel if i get some solid information then it would steer me in the right directions
Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

whats wrong with the camaro??
Old 10-05-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bored with it really, just looking to do something different. Theres nothing wrong with the camaro though, if i feel like i cant do the swap and the car doesnt sell then i guess im just going to keep the camaro
Old 10-05-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by plaf713
bored with it really, just looking to do something different. Theres nothing wrong with the camaro though, if i feel like i cant do the swap and the car doesnt sell then i guess im just going to keep the camaro
keep it,
the swap is labor intensive, not just bolt in deal, will take skill of all of the above, wiring, fabricating, etc. esp.if doing on budget.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thats what i was afraid of, maybe some day i guess
Old 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

do it! its not hard @all.

aje makes a bolt in swap subframe.
youll need to wire up 6 wires for the engine to run.
you can buy swap headers.
you can use fuel press reg from camaro for fuel system.
you can sell your roller camaro for anywhere from $800-$2000. DO IT.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i dunno, if it was straightforward i would do it, im afraid that i will run into a problem without being able to have a solution and having to bring it somewhere or pay to much money. Theres just certain aspects of the build that i dont understand, would i use my wiring harness? If so does that get tied into the speedo and things like that or do i get an aftermarket dash and have aftermarket gauges? I absolutely would love to but im just afraid of not being able to finish it. Ive done things like heads and cams swaps, replaced transmission so i am somewhat good with cars, but fabricating and wirirng are things that im afraid of
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fox body swap is very well documented, so you can research every step and decide if you can handle it.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the problem is i have found a lot of swap threads but people are posting towards the end or in the middle of there build, i have yet to find a well detailed swap, i cant find them in the stickys either
Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dunno, if it was straightforward i would do it, im afraid that i will run into a problem without being able to have a solution and having to bring it somewhere or pay too much money.
Well, a good, honest self-assessment will help a lot with that (although not completely, since there are always things that you can't foresee).

There's just certain aspects of the build that i dont understand, would i use my wiring harness? If so does that get tied into the speedo and things like that or do i get an aftermarket dash and have aftermarket gauges?
You can do it either way - what I'm doing is tying the stock L92 truck harness into the bulkhead connector of my car. In other words, I'm tying the new engine harness in with the existing wiring in the car. Others have just gotten rid of the existing stuff & used aftermarket gauges, etc. (Actually, I'm kind of "mixing & matching" as I'm using some aftermarket gauges in addition to the stock dash...) It kind of depends on your plans for the car, & how you want to do it...

I absolutely would love to but im just afraid of not being able to finish it. Ive done things like heads and cam swaps, replaced transmission so i am somewhat good with cars, but fabricating and wiring are things that im afraid of
Well, you're kind of in the same spot I was when I started this - in fact, you might be a bit more "advanced" than I was... All I can say is that it's one hell of a learning experience, & now that I'm getting relatively close to the end, I'm really getting pretty stoked about driving it. (After what, a good two years now?? ) And when something does go wrong, I'll be a lot better equipped to track it down & resolve the issue, since I'm familiar with nearly every freakin' bolt on the car... (My project has become a bit more than just an engine/trans swap though.) As long as it's not your daily driver, I'd say "If it's something that you really want to do, GO FOR IT!"
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

the problem is i have found a lot of swap threads but people are posting towards the end or in the middle of there build, i have yet to find a well detailed swap, i cant find them in the stickys either
Well, PM some of the people who've done the swap, & ask them what were the most challenging aspects. That should give you a really good idea if it's something that you think you can handle. (In my case, I didn't originally plan on notching the K-frame & then welding/boxing it back together, but it seems to have worked out OK.)

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey thanks for the great information. I think im going to take the winter to decide and if im still into then, then i'll start picking up parts. I also dont want to start it and not have motivation to finish haha, I want to make sure im in it 100 percent. I guess ill have to just study up as much as possible. thanks again for the helpful information

Quick Reply: Questioning ability to do a swap, please enlighten me