Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

preparing for a 5.3 M3 swap....check my work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preparing for a 5.3 M3 swap....check my work.

so after a long road of BS, im going to keep my m3 and swap it. im on a budget so heres a list of what im pooling together for the swap...

L33 5.3
T56
F-body oil pan
hooker block huggers
cam(havent decided, but might as well while the motor is out)
LS1 intake
F-body harness....? or not? this part im confused on.
assorted mounts(engine and trans)
do i need a drive shaft?

shoot for a 400whp/400wtq DD that can hit the track on friday nights, and then go on a road trip too. all the while letting me enjoy all my bimmer comforts.

the T56 bolts up to the L33 with no mods right? thanks for the help guys...here a pic of the M3 that this is all going to happen too.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Holy crap that thing is ugly. It'll never work. Just sell it and buy a camaro. Just f'n with you, dude.

Right after you called I checked c-list and saw this;
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/1407221747.html

You already call that guy and beat him up for a price yet?

If you can figure out a way to get the dual disc clutch from an LS9 to bolt to a standard LSx motor I'll sell you my LS9 clutchset.

Last edited by iansane; 10-06-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

I used the hooker block huggers when i first did my 240sx swap and I was very unhappy with them. Everything on your list looks good but if there are possibly some longtubes that will fit you may want to get them. The t56 will bolt up to the l33, one of the local 240 guys has that same setup.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

im looking at LM7's too, its only 68lbs appearntly. and ive found a few for 500 or so.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might have trouble hitting those HP and torque numbers at the wheels with that motor in NA form. At the crank would be more realistic.

If you really want those numbers at the wheels I would consider a 6.0 or even 6.2. The bigger motors would need a lot less cam. A better option for a daily driver that is still as smooth as the BMW motor.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 AM
Launching!

Very sweet looking car man, but I think I would spend a bit more and go ls1/2 or something nicer for that nice of car. By the time you buy a $500 5.3, swap to f-body oil pan,intake,and acc setup, I think you will be kicking yourself you didn't just start with more of a motor or a pullout.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
Very sweet looking car man, but I think I would spend a bit more and go ls1/2 or something nicer for that nice of car. By the time you buy a $500 5.3, swap to f-body oil pan,intake,and acc setup, I think you will be kicking yourself you didn't just start with more of a motor or a pullout.
Not sure about your sources but I can get truck (4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0) engines in the $400 - $900 depending on mileage all day long complete stem to stern with the wiring, computer and accessory belts still on them. Any time I mention Camaro, Corvette or Trans Am to my engine source the price goes up exponentially. I think at last check It was about 4X or more. I can't even get a true LS1/6 bare for the price of a complete truck engine. For me the conversion is way worth the price difference, especially when I usually need to make brackets anyway.

I just did a swap where the truck intake wouldn't fit and bought the car intake, rail, etc. used and it wasn't that pricey. Gotta keep those eyes out for the deals. Look at the sticky by Mean Yellow Z for cheap conversions to get more ideas.

BTW, GM makes what they call the "muscle car oil pan kit" PN 19212593 which my friendly GM parts supplier had in stock for under $150 and comes with the pan, gasket, pickup, bolts, dipstick, tube and windage tray. This is cheaper than the parts alone and slightly different (smaller) dimensions than the fabled Camaro pan. Worked great in my last swap.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You might have trouble hitting those HP and torque numbers at the wheels with that motor in NA form. At the crank would be more realistic.

If you really want those numbers at the wheels I would consider a 6.0 or even 6.2. The bigger motors would need a lot less cam. A better option for a daily driver that is still as smooth as the BMW motor.
HMM. ill price out LO4/9's too then. i just want it to be pretty dang quick from the start, so that i dont have to mod it for awhile while i recoupe some cost from the build.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Not sure about your sources but I can get truck (4.8 / 5.3 / 6.0) engines in the $400 - $900 depending on mileage all day long complete stem to stern with the wiring, computer and accessory belts still on them. Any time I mention Camaro, Corvette or Trans Am to my engine source the price goes up exponentially. I think at last check It was about 4X or more. I can't even get a true LS1/6 bare for the price of a complete truck engine. For me the conversion is way worth the price difference, especially when I usually need to make brackets anyway.

I just did a swap where the truck intake wouldn't fit and bought the car intake, rail, etc. used and it wasn't that pricey. Gotta keep those eyes out for the deals. Look at the sticky by Mean Yellow Z for cheap conversions to get more ideas.

BTW, GM makes what they call the "muscle car oil pan kit" PN 19212593 which my friendly GM parts supplier had in stock for under $150 and comes with the pan, gasket, pickup, bolts, dipstick, tube and windage tray. This is cheaper than the parts alone and slightly different (smaller) dimensions than the fabled Camaro pan. Worked great in my last swap.

Where are you located at, if you are near me I'd like to give your source a call, or do they ship. The last 3-4 5.3's I've bought I had around $500 in the longblock and then tried to find everything from there, I can find 5.3 pullouts for around $1000. If he is going to make 400rwhp with a 5.3, I don't think an ls1 intake is going to cut it, so figure $300 for the intake, then another $50-60 for rails/injectors, and having the wp modified if he can't tig it up himself. As low as his car looks in the pics, I seriously doubt he can use the muscle car pan. It is a fair bit deaper than the f-body. He may be able to use a batwing that can be bought for fairly cheap, but if not he is looking at at least $200 for the pan. I am not saying that it is not going to cost more, but I think with some digging he could find an 01-02 ls1 pullout $700-$1000 more than what he is going to have in the 5.3 by the time he's done, and not to mention have 20 more cubes, and 70lbs less. I've put 5.3's in several things, and they are great motors, but in his case when you figure what it is going to cost for the whole swap anyway, and looking at that car, whats another grand.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thstreetjunkman
Where are you located at, if you are near me I'd like to give your source a call, or do they ship. The last 3-4 5.3's I've bought I had around $500 in the longblock and then tried to find everything from there, I can find 5.3 pullouts for around $1000. If he is going to make 400rwhp with a 5.3, I don't think an ls1 intake is going to cut it, so figure $300 for the intake, then another $50-60 for rails/injectors, and having the wp modified if he can't tig it up himself. As low as his car looks in the pics, I seriously doubt he can use the muscle car pan. It is a fair bit deaper than the f-body. He may be able to use a batwing that can be bought for fairly cheap, but if not he is looking at at least $200 for the pan. I am not saying that it is not going to cost more, but I think with some digging he could find an 01-02 ls1 pullout $700-$1000 more than what he is going to have in the 5.3 by the time he's done, and not to mention have 20 more cubes, and 70lbs less. I've put 5.3's in several things, and they are great motors, but in his case when you figure what it is going to cost for the whole swap anyway, and looking at that car, whats another grand.
Located in Kansas City and they don't ship outside of local businesses or other salvage yards.
Time and timing is a key element in finding deals on stuff.

Why mod the WP when you could use the camaro / vette WP and crank pulley? That way when the WP fails in nowhereville you can put a parts store unit on and keep rolling. Experience has proven using custom parts in places like that is a bad idea.

The pan thing is merely an option I don't see mentioned much here.

If cubes is what you are after go 6.0 and call it a day. Grab an LQ9 from an Cadillac and you are at 345 from the start. It is not hard to reach the goal from there.

I understand your logic on "what's another grand" but depending on one's budget (I think most people fit this) that extra grand up front is the difference between finishing the project and deciding it isn't affordable. I know swapping in a bimmer is NOT going to be cheap, I looked at one with no engine in the 'yard and you would have to make a lot of stuff - or buy it. There is a place that makes conversion kits but I don't own one of those cars so I have no idea what the kits cost or years / models they cover.

Losing the weight would be nice, but like they always say... speed costs, how fast can you afford to go? Depending on what the factory combo weighed the truck engine may not be heavier.

I would like to see this swap, I think it would be cool.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

lots of food for thought, thanks guys. with all im reading, im almost scaring myself outta this swap. LOL.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you put a 5.3 in there you may not hit 400/400 at the wheels, but you will still have a hell of car. 400 at the crank will flat out rock.

Think it out, figure out what you can afford then stick to the plan.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
If you put a 5.3 in there you may not hit 400/400 at the wheels, but you will still have a hell of car. 400 at the crank will flat out rock.

Think it out, figure out what you can afford then stick to the plan.
ive done some calculations and i only need about 370ish whp to get the 115 traps. with the M3 diff and axles i maybe damned to street tires so ill never hit the 11's id like to see but a mid to high 12 at 115 is nice.

im looking at what i can sell my S52 ZF auto combo for. its immacualte with 123k on it. no leaks, great compression.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Located in Kansas City and they don't ship outside of local businesses or other salvage yards.
Time and timing is a key element in finding deals on stuff.

Why mod the WP when you could use the camaro / vette WP and crank pulley? That way when the WP fails in nowhereville you can put a parts store unit on and keep rolling. Experience has proven using custom parts in places like that is a bad idea.

The pan thing is merely an option I don't see mentioned much here.

If cubes is what you are after go 6.0 and call it a day. Grab an LQ9 from an Cadillac and you are at 345 from the start. It is not hard to reach the goal from there.

I understand your logic on "what's another grand" but depending on one's budget (I think most people fit this) that extra grand up front is the difference between finishing the project and deciding it isn't affordable. I know swapping in a bimmer is NOT going to be cheap, I looked at one with no engine in the 'yard and you would have to make a lot of stuff - or buy it. There is a place that makes conversion kits but I don't own one of those cars so I have no idea what the kits cost or years / models they cover.

Losing the weight would be nice, but like they always say... speed costs, how fast can you afford to go? Depending on what the factory combo weighed the truck engine may not be heavier.

I would like to see this swap, I think it would be cool.

car will only be about 65lbs heavier than stock. thats nothing. and with 158 more whp.

Quick Reply: preparing for a 5.3 M3 swap....check my work.