Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buy tuning software or get mile order tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buy tuning software or get mile order tune

I have an LQ4 that i am putting in my 73 nova. I am debating on wether i should send the PCM out to get tuned or i should buy a tuning program and do it my self. what is the best program for a beginner thaty still hase all the features? do they all get rid of VATS and have the ability to make the engine run? what do they cost? how do you hook it to the PCM?

Thanks
Old 10-06-2009, 02:31 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well, getting your pcm tuned gets you a mail order tune. You won't be able to change anything unless you send it in, but it will run.

Getting a tuning program allows you to do all the changes yourself, but you need to know what to do. If you are savvy at tuning and think you are up to the challenge, go with the software. If you are just trying to get one car up and runnning and want it to run, go with the mail order.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna lurk here. I'm interested too. I just got my LQ9. I think I am just gonna start with a cam and headers, but if I do other mods down the road I would have to have it retuned right? How difficult is the software?
Old 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM
TECH Resident

I will side with Schwanke engines on this one. If the cost of Hptuners or EFI live doesn't bother you then they will be able to get you running pretty easily. However, I would do a mail order tune unless you plan to take the time to really learn the software in the future and do further tuning.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I was thinking about it, and what you could do is get the mail order tune for now, and then later get the tuner. That way, you will at least get the car in running order and you can get the tuner later when you have more money. Just my $0.02.
Give me a call if you are interested in getting started.
Old 10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the replies, i will probubly just mail order it to start. when you mail order tune do you just send in the PCM?

i will be putting the 6.0 in stock for now but plan to upgrade it later. i figure every time i mod the engien i have to spend $100 to get the PCM tuned, but if i buy the program i learn a new skill and can tune when ever i want. what is to total price to hook up EFIlive or HPtuners to my engine? (program+credits+harware?)do i hook it directly to the PCM?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Actually, I was thinking about it, and what you could do is get the mail order tune for now, and then later get the tuner. That way, you will at least get the car in running order and you can get the tuner later when you have more money. Just my $0.02.
Give me a call if you are interested in getting started.
I like this suggestion. I've talked to some of the site sponsors in my general area about dyno tuning my car, but the first step is to get a mail order tune just so that the car will run.

I tried to get into chip tuning on my TPI cars, and I learned quickly that if you don't have a significant amount of time to devote to really understanding what all of the different tuning parameters are, and how to manipulate the air/fuel tables very accurately, you're ultimately just wasting your time. Unless you've got a lot of time to spend learning this crap, you might be better off paying for somebody to dyno tune it.

My TPI motor has been a lousy running POS for a number of years because I never had the time to spend learning the art of tuning the computer properly. If I spent the money for a dyno tune way back then, I could have enjoyed my car all this time. I'm not making the same mistake when I do my LS swap.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did a mail order tune, one because it was gonna be a while till I was able to drive mine and wanted it running witht he mods done to the engine, cam, headers etc... and still be able to drive it in and out of the garage plus have it clear all codes so I know it is good to go, and two, because I just planned to take it a dyno shop and have it tuned and all is done.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jetback73nova
I have an LQ4 that i am putting in my 73 nova. I am debating on wether i should send the PCM out to get tuned or i should buy a tuning program and do it my self. what is the best program for a beginner thaty still hase all the features? do they all get rid of VATS and have the ability to make the engine run? what do they cost? how do you hook it to the PCM?

Thanks
get the software ,there are guys on this board that are so good that they can walk you thru sending them a log and tune your car right over the internet it ,it just time and patience and ya just have to find that certain person willing to help

Quick Reply: buy tuning software or get mile order tune