Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4.8 swap in a second gen camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 swap in a second gen camaro

I am thinking about a 4.8 with a200r4 in a 79 z28. It will be the daughters car when she is old enough to drive. Any thoughts on this combo and what rear end gear would be good for this car?
Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general consensus on 4.8s is that they're pretty much gutless compared to any other members of the Gen-III/Gen-IV family, but in this case, that might be a good thing. Gearing will of course depend on how spirited you want the car to be, balanced against what kind of mpg you want out of it.

For what you're talking about, I'd think that something around a 3.23 would be about right. It wouldn't be overly quick (depending on the weight of the car, IIRC the late 2nd gens were considerably heavier than the early models), but it wouldn't be an utter turd either...
Old 10-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4.8 in my '04 Silverado SCLB, and it is far from gutless. It's not the most powerful LS engine out there, but it's a damn sight better than any 350 I had in my previous trucks.
I would suggest you buy a pull-out with the trans. My truck has 3.42s in the rear, but keep in mind that the tires are 32" tall compared to what you would have on a '79 Camaro (probably around 26"). I have consistently seen 25 mpg (imperial gallon) when driving 60 - 75 mph. on the highway. In a smaller and lighter car the 4.8 should do better.
I say go for it, but be forewarned. You will probably want the car for yourself when you are done.

Ken

Quick Reply: 4.8 swap in a second gen camaro