Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 + T56 + C4 = Good times!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do they make a power steering pulley that is slightly smaller? Even slightly would give me just a little more room on the passenger side (can move motor to drivers side little more) . It's less than 1/2" now without the belt on.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has the smaller billet pulley from S&P.

However, my engine was set in the middle, not offset like it should have been. Other swaps clear the factory C5 pulley.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black87c4
Edit: I searched a little and see what you are talking about tho. Yea, same idea I was talking about but i'd still have to use the C5 mounts as I believe the LT1 block was the same as any SBC?? Regardless to also use the C5 stock bushing you'd have to make the mount a little lower (no big deal) or use a short bushing (again no big deal). I can fab up something like that pretty easy, probably with the steel I have laying around already. Seem the C5 mounts cost about $99 (used) by themselves tho then another $100 for the bushings that sucks which points me to just fabbing the motor mounts too maybe but would be nice to have replaceable pieces.
Right, those guys are using the C5 stands, and LT1 k-member.

I bet you could find C5 stands cheaper than that with some shopping around.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subtlez28
My car has the smaller billet pulley from S&P.

However, my engine was set in the middle, not offset like it should have been. Other swaps clear the factory C5 pulley.

I'm just looking for that little extra in hopes I can fit the A/C compressor I picked up some C5 mounts so when they get here I'll start fabbing again. I have to swap out the water pump on my TA now, seeping coolant and the temps jumped way up a couple times today in traffic. It's on it's last leg I guess Always more to do it seems.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just an FYI concerning your fuel delivery:

The stock 84 Corvette had the crossfire injection, which was just two TBI throttle bodies on a POS crossram-style manifold. My point is, I believe that the factory fuel pressure was only 9-12lbs. This is probably why your car has that external fuel pump.

Likewise, stock fuel lines for an 84 are only designed for 9-12lbs of pressure, and are unlikely to be the same fuel lines that later models used.

85 cars had the TPI installed, but ran a rather unique 35lbs of pressure. 86+ had the standard 43.5lb fuel pressure. As far as I know, the fuel lines in the 85 were the same as later years, and only the fuel pressure regulator was different, but I really am not sure about that.

Point is... do your homework on your fuel system if you intend to use any "stock" parts. My recommendation would be that you bend up your own fuel lines and use a Walbro 255 pump in a sending unit from an 86+ car.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by black87c4
Do they make a power steering pulley that is slightly smaller? Even slightly would give me just a little more room on the passenger side (can move motor to drivers side little more) . It's less than 1/2" now without the belt on.
Look in the chevelle swap sticky. There is a factory ford pulley that is smaller that the A body guys use to clear the steering box. If you put the car on a diet I think that 2700-2800 lbs is doable. My 87 convertable was 3380 with TPI and an auto.

Here is a prime canidate if someone wants to play along. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...CA:MOTORS:1123
If I don't sell it then it will probably get this treatment although with a solid axle rear.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Just an FYI concerning your fuel delivery:

The stock 84 Corvette had the crossfire injection, which was just two TBI throttle bodies on a POS crossram-style manifold. My point is, I believe that the factory fuel pressure was only 9-12lbs. This is probably why your car has that external fuel pump.

Likewise, stock fuel lines for an 84 are only designed for 9-12lbs of pressure, and are unlikely to be the same fuel lines that later models used.

85 cars had the TPI installed, but ran a rather unique 35lbs of pressure. 86+ had the standard 43.5lb fuel pressure. As far as I know, the fuel lines in the 85 were the same as later years, and only the fuel pressure regulator was different, but I really am not sure about that.

Point is... do your homework on your fuel system if you intend to use any "stock" parts. My recommendation would be that you bend up your own fuel lines and use a Walbro 255 pump in a sending unit from an 86+ car.
Thank you Jim for the drastic underestimation of my knowledge level!

I realize the lower fuel pressure issue of the actual stock pump. I have a racetronix kit including a walbro pump ready to replace the stocker (in-tank). Not sure why the last guy didn't go the same route.

I'll check into the 84 lines being different, than say an 86. I bet up to the fire-wall they are the same though. And I remain confident factory steel hard lines can handle more than the factory 9-12 lbs...

In other GM applications (80s-90s) where both TBI and TPI where offered, sending units and lines remain constant for the most part, pumps and firewall-engine lines being the difference. So I am cautiously optimistic here.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm looking for info, and appreciate suggestions.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

How is your project C4 coming? Give us an update!
Old 12-17-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just trying to help dude. You didn't say anything in your threads that indicated that you were familiar with the toliet-bowl injection situation.
Originally Posted by subtlez28
Thank you Jim for the drastic underestimation of my knowledge level!

I realize the lower fuel pressure issue of the actual stock pump. I have a racetronix kit including a walbro pump ready to replace the stocker (in-tank). Not sure why the last guy didn't go the same route.

I'll check into the 84 lines being different, than say an 86. I bet up to the fire-wall they are the same though. And I remain confident factory steel hard lines can handle more than the factory 9-12 lbs...

In other GM applications (80s-90s) where both TBI and TPI where offered, sending units and lines remain constant for the most part, pumps and firewall-engine lines being the difference. So I am cautiously optimistic here.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm looking for info, and appreciate suggestions.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Just trying to help dude. You didn't say anything in your threads that indicated that you were familiar with the toliet-bowl injection situation.
I know you are trying to help man, thats why the "". Thanks, just giving you crap.

I take it you are not a fan of that set up. I do have another intake and could run a C% filter/regulator, but I'll probably start w the current set up.

I'll update soon. I have a bunch of parts laying around (arp bolts, gaskets, improved engineering baffle, and some other stuff for the heads cam swap!). I'll post up when I get some garage time.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

as for the c5 pedistals street and performance sells "biscuit" mounts that are 1.2" when bolted in, the stock c5 biscuits are 2-3" if I remember correctly it saved me a ton of room, I did this on a 90 c4 last winter.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, time has flown. Not much progress over the winter except some parts gathering.
I picked up 4 17x11s and 315/35/17 Kumhos from DTD. I will run these on all four. The 36 mm offset is close, but it looks like I will need to run a small spacer. I went with the Kumhos as I intend to run street tire class.

I also picked up some other cool and surprisingly expensive parts like LS1 ARP head bolts, crank bolt and flywheel bolts. A road race oil pan baffle from Improved Racing. A Fel-pro gasket set. Clutch hydraulics. A used T56 bell housing and mini starter. New water pump, tension pulley, and idler pulley for the C5 accessory drive.

Over the last couple days I finished grinding off the old mount system (this was an early LS1 conversion). I plan to make new mounts from angle iron coming off the crossmember, and C5 stands flipped forward. This will be similar to LT1 mounts, and have been successfully used by other swappers. I cannot use the speed hound conversion mounts as my original mounts were cut off during the previous swap.

The old cut off mounts were plated welded to the cross braces and frame:

It took more time and effort to grind these off than I expected...

I also dug the Liberty Face-plated T-56 out of its crate. Face-plating is a process where the syncros are removed (except for 5th and 6th). This will allow for extremely fast upshifts (think motorcycle or Jerico trans).

I bolted on a stock f-body hurst shifter. Then I mounted the C-beam adapter bracket... This was no easy feat. I had to batter it into position. I tried using a rubber mallet but eventually resorted to beating it into place with a BFH... So much for the pretty powder coating. Once in place I had to use this C-clamp to torque it into a position where the 3 bolt holes lined up.

Hopefully I will make more progress as in the next couple days.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

This is starting to get interesting!!

This thread of my swap is linked below to show how EASY it is to convert a CFI fuel system over to an LSx fuel system. No real fabbing of anything required until you get to the engine area and go with a braided line from C5 reg-filter to intake fuel rails. Possibly the easiest fuel conversion possible.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...l60e-swap.html

The underestimation statememt was also funny stuff!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

nice idea, i always did like these cars, and and those 315's are huge!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

subscribed
Old 04-08-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had an impressively engineered and fabricated car drop by. Jim Nilson's "Cormaro". This is a 67 Camaro with complete 85 front and rear Z-51 Corvette suspension installed (along with a custom subframe, firewall and floor). He even kept the Corvette engine set-back. This car was completely fabricated in his home garage!! He stopped by, I drooled over his car, and he gave me some pointers on my project.

I also took some measurements on engine placement. I was wondering how offset the original SBC was offset to the passenger side. My factory engine mounts were cut off by the previous swapper. Looks like ~2" offset to passenger. Crank centerline was 15 1/4" from the frame driver, and 13 1/4" to passenger frame as measured along the cross bar in front of the engine (the pic is taken from an angle).

Any one have differing info?

Also, not sure if I mentioned, but I picked up a D44. So lately I dropped out the 3.73 geared D36 (for sale). Now the vette sits on stands entirely w/out a driveline...

I'll get picks of the new driveline on the floor next time I get garage time.

Oh, and my Melrose headers are in the mail. I cannot wait to get those!
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I received some more goodies in the mail over the last couple days.

My Melrose LS1/C4 swap headers came in. I am impressed. Build quality and hardware are top notch! I ordered mine uncoated. I want to go flat black with them. I intend to use header paint. If that fails, I can always get them coated later.

I also received my C5 front brake brackets. I got them from a forum member. Again, build quality and hardware were impressive. I mounted them on some 85 spindles I picked up (because 84s have smaller/weaker mounting bolts). Although I do not yet have my new rotors or hub/bearings so a full mach-up will have to wait.

Spindles came shockingly clean, and cleverly bolted together for shipping.

Also, since I have the D36 (and entire rear suspension) out... I have been drooling over Banski Motorsports' C4 rear suspension parts.
http://www.banskimotorsports.com/C4_...spensioin.html

What can I say... I have a soft spot for quality USA made parts!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Staging Lane

Looking good. That's some quality parts there at Banski. Cant wait to see more.

Would be cool to see this at Car Craft Summer Nats in mid July.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks! Sorry for the late response.

I recently sold my (subtle) Z28. So the rush is on to finish this build. I have done a bunch of work. When I get a little free time I will update my progress w some pics.

Here is a teaser:

I have the entire rear suspension out (actually the entire drive-line) along with the rear facia, bumper support and gas tank. The New (to me ) D44 was checked out at the shop. Banski rear suspension is in the mail.

I have finally started the re-assembly process by installing the new Classic Tube fuel line.

The rush is on. I hope to race the car at 2 events in September.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I have been working on it some lately. I haven't had as much time as I'd like for photos and posting, but here is an update:

The Good news:
I have finally started reassembling things!
I have the new Classic Tube fuel line in (which required the whole rear of the car off give or take).

I took off the rear facia (nightmare). Lots of hard to reach bolts and sweat and blood involved...

And dropped the rear bumper/gas tank assembly:

More on the gas tank in the bad news section...

I have had some help in the garage today in form of my 7 year old son Patrick!

So I was able to get all rear suspension back in. I replace all the consumables: new SKF hub/bearings, ARP wheel studs, Spicer U-joints. I picked up the whole rear kit from Banksi: rod ended camber rods, toe kit, and trailing arms.

I deleted the dust shields on the rear brakes, and I think I'll leave the rear wheel wells off.

Bad news:
When I dropped the tank I found the sending unit rusted to the tank. Two of the bolts snapped off. The sending unit was bastardized like the fuel line (pump replaced w hose). If you remember from early posts they also cut up the factory hardline to put an external pump under the rear axle...??? I have no idea why when the car has an internal pump. I intend to replace it with a nice Racetronics kit.

I do have a new sending unit from Corvette recycling. I just have to clean up the fuel tank 1st. Oh, and did I mention my local radiator/gas tank place stopped boiling tanks two months ago?!

Quick Reply: LS1 + T56 + C4 = Good times!