Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm betting you could piggy back most of the items to retain the factory computer and electronics. Most computers just need a speed sensor and an engine speed to operate things like tranny etc. Even if its not enough to make the computer drive spark properly like just the neg side of a coil will often work for these types of things.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be done yes. For 44k and still be reliable....well prob. not. I think the drive train as a whole would need to be redone.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
I'm betting you could piggy back most of the items to retain the factory computer and electronics. Most computers just need a speed sensor and an engine speed to operate things like tranny etc. Even if its not enough to make the computer drive spark properly like just the neg side of a coil will often work for these types of things.

Good luck.
This isn't a TPI 305 though. This is a massively complicated twin turbo, variable timing geek-fest. I'm sure they're using CAN or something similar to tie disparate modules together.

Keep in mind, this car uses GPS to check if you're at a race track.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd just insurance the ******, its technically totalled. Half the value for a motor... How did it blow up?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

in these days, a car isnt totaled unless it exceeds 99% of the vehciles current value.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Launching!

how can you insurance it? mechanical damage is not covered by insurance. if it turns up "missing" they would find out for sure that it didnt drive away under its own power!
Old 10-31-2009, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i say you.. take it to a hill and let it drop.. total it and have the insurance pay out.. lol or maybe ..part it out and try and make your money back. at least not a complete loss.love those cars.. but for 44K idk what i would do.. i would call and talk to the corporate office or something for that much money there has to be something some one can do to help u out with that.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1-450
If you two don't have anything better to add to the thread, then please stay out of it. If you want to talk ****, go down to the street racing & racers lounge where you can do it all day long. This section is for conversion/hybrid discussions, not for bashing those that come in here looking for answers.
You know you may not like what the guy has to say but I thought the same thing. I don't see it happening either.

Now what does make sense is doing a more traditional swap, meaning a matching motor and trans, then deleting whatever bells and whistles that don't make sense. That may include the AWD.

The computers everyone worries about, but computes are reprogrammable. You can make those ******* do anything you want. The hard part is finding the right guy or group of guys. Completely redoing the firmware may be expensive, but not 44K expensive.

Then when you are done with all of that, you may have a car that is better than the original BUT one that is worth a fraction of what the original was worth. That is becasue 20 years from now it will be worth WAY LESS than what an original will be worth. GT-R's, as awesome as they are, are worth that much in part becasue of the snob appeal. You lose all that with an LS9 and matching t56

So I think we are back to the original post. May be fun to talk about but ain't never gonna happen cause it makes no sense.
Old 10-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Poked through the Haltech ECU controller, looks doable.

It has full control over all the injector trims and total injection angle, as well as timing trim.

It doesn't have control enough to disable injectors, but I realised there is an easy way around this. Using one of the carb plate style injector setups would let you run all six in a wet manifold setup (Can't find links, does anyone remember them? They had injectors going down the sides of a carb plate...)
Then you'd just have to deal with two too many spark signals, which I think could be dealt with using dummy coils.
It even has what looks like a upshift torque cut feature so you can tune it low enough to match the vgs torque while changing gears.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
how can you insurance it? mechanical damage is not covered by insurance. if it turns up "missing" they would find out for sure that it didnt drive away under its own power!
I've heard driving through a puddle and hydrolocking the motor is covered? That or you can ghostride it into something lol. I just don't see the swap being feasible with all of the engine and transmission electronics. Is a shortblock any cheaper?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 PM
12 Second Club

I belive theres a company in florida who blew a black one up, you might want to contact one of the major shops that are working on them currentley. Personally Id go with boost logic, Im sure they would love to get their hands dirty by taking apart a blown up GTR and seeing what the weak link is.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

..what you should do .. is buy another one . swap out the motor for you blown one and the do a insurance "job" on the other one . just say they joy riders crashed it and blew the motor . but then again if this doesent work then you our 146k .. sell it and buy the
zr1 !
Old 11-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You know you may not like what the guy has to say but I thought the same thing. I don't see it happening either.

Now what does make sense is doing a more traditional swap, meaning a matching motor and trans, then deleting whatever bells and whistles that don't make sense. That may include the AWD.

The computers everyone worries about, but computes are reprogrammable. You can make those ******* do anything you want. The hard part is finding the right guy or group of guys. Completely redoing the firmware may be expensive, but not 44K expensive.

Then when you are done with all of that, you may have a car that is better than the original BUT one that is worth a fraction of what the original was worth. That is becasue 20 years from now it will be worth WAY LESS than what an original will be worth. GT-R's, as awesome as they are, are worth that much in part becasue of the snob appeal. You lose all that with an LS9 and matching t56

So I think we are back to the original post. May be fun to talk about but ain't never gonna happen cause it makes no sense.
Deleting the AWD woudl defeat the purpose of this entire swap. If you're going to do that, just rebuild the body of the Nissan around a camaro chassis, save $35k, and be happy with burnouts and rampant oversteer. The AWD is the ENTIRE purpose of that car. Its not pretty, its not cheap. AWD and high horsepower is all it has going for it.

Have you taken rough measurements of the engine bay to see if the LS9 will even fit? I imagine its probably not going to be too bad, even with the S/C, just because the DOHC motors take up so much real estate compared to a pushrod motor.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Digging up this old thread as Google led me here.

Now that there is technology and strength in aftermarkets parts it got me thinking about this swap after watching a bunch of Nelson Racing videos on youtube.

Just imagine swapping out the Alpha 12 engine from a fully built and proven AMS Alpha 12 GTR with a 1,800hp+ NRE Twin Turbo LSX.

As for durability, if AMS can do crazy boosted launches on stickies then the drive train should survive roll racing like at the Texas invitational.

For fitment I'm pretty sure Nelson could get it to fit after watching a few of their complete vehicle builds.

I'd love to see how it performs and lets keep price out of the discussion because the only people that can afford these sort of builds dont worry so much about the added cost, they just want to beat the person next to them in a 1,550awhp Lambo or a 1,800hp C6.....Oh boy how times have changed since this thread was started.

Last edited by LS1ToyotaCrawler; 03-02-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by digitalsolo

Keep in mind, this car uses GPS to check if you're at a race track.
I thought that was just the JDM cars and not the USDM cars and it effectively changed the tune for more power.

The trans tuning has been unlocked years ago and it would have to be totally gone through to get it to shift and run correctly as there used to be problems with it shifting because of too much torque.

I think the hardest part would be keeping the trans happy so that it would run correctly. It looks at so many things that I believe it would be the limiting factor in swapping in a different engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2JZ swap or something lol
Old 03-05-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Thread is from 09 guys... come on..
Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonde what the guy ended up doing anyhow lmao curious.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood

I like it. you could totally use a front diff and build you own oil pan or go dry sump. Stand alone trans harness and controller. Adapter plat for engine to trans. You will need more fuel thats for sure.

If you are patient it can be done for less than 44k. There will be a couple thing that will not be easy. It will be test you patients. The looks on everyones face when they see a ls9 under the hood. PRICELESS.

Let me know how much you want if you sell that turd with a shot motor. I dont know the extent of the damage but i might be calling ERL depending on what happened. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?