Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?

well, the factory longblock is 44,000 installed according to the dealer. i figure the ls9 crate is 20k, but what are the chances of making it work and function as factory for the remaining 25k? we'd like to use the factory tranny and drivetrain, paddle shifters and all. of course all the accesories need to work with the factory controls. does anyone think it can be done? anyone heard of a swap into this car?
Old 10-28-2009, 07:13 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like a very high dollar swap.

I'm sure you can have an adapter plate made for the LS9 to bolt to the trans but my concern would be two things... Typically the adapter will mandate the motor moving forward and with all the fwd portion of the drivetrain in the way you may not have a whole lot of room. Second, controlling all the shifting is really going to depend upon whether or not is controlled by a separate module and if so - is there tuning available that will work WITHOUT any input from the factory ECM. I would imagine this would be your biggest obstacle. Those are still pretty new so I doubt there will be a whole lot of support or stand alone type systems that will do all you need to with regard to the transmission. Maybe a MegaSquirt could be setup to work with it?

I have never heard of it. If it weren't all wheel drive it would sure make a lot more sense to install it with a 2wd trans of choice.....

Good luck. Hope you've got some serious coin available for the project.

$44k for replacement seems rediculous. I would look into some JDM parts suppliers and find a slightly used powertrain - typically they can be had at a fraction of what they cost in the states if you have the contacts.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
well, the factory longblock is 44,000 installed according to the dealer. i figure the ls9 crate is 20k, but what are the chances of making it work and function as factory for the remaining 25k? we'd like to use the factory tranny and drivetrain, paddle shifters and all. of course all the accesories need to work with the factory controls. does anyone think it can be done? anyone heard of a swap into this car?

You do realize that the GTR transmissions are custom to each individual engine installed in the GTR, yes? Wow, you're looking @ a handfull of cash with no gaurantee. Unless of course, you scrap the AWD & go RWD through a transaxle & the LS9. I'd say that could work through the paddle shifters w/ a stand alone controller for that part of the car & possibly keep the GTR ECU for the rest.

One thing is for sure, you would have the first & mabe only LS9 GTR. I'll certainly be watching for updates. Good-luck.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mulletnotch
Sounds like a very high dollar swap.

I'm sure you can have an adapter plate made for the LS9 to bolt to the trans but my concern would be two things... Typically the adapter will mandate the motor moving forward and with all the fwd portion of the drivetrain in the way you may not have a whole lot of room. Second, controlling all the shifting is really going to depend upon whether or not is controlled by a separate module and if so - is there tuning available that will work WITHOUT any input from the factory ECM. I would imagine this would be your biggest obstacle. Those are still pretty new so I doubt there will be a whole lot of support or stand alone type systems that will do all you need to with regard to the transmission. Maybe a MegaSquirt could be setup to work with it?

I have never heard of it. If it weren't all wheel drive it would sure make a lot more sense to install it with a 2wd trans of choice.....

Good luck. Hope you've got some serious coin available for the project.

$44k for replacement seems rediculous. I would look into some JDM parts suppliers and find a slightly used powertrain - typically they can be had at a fraction of what they cost in the states if you have the contacts.
I would say that a mandate of the swap would be retaining AWD. The car is not particularly beautiful on its own, its the stunning awd performance that makes it awesome. RWD would never come close to living up to what the AWD system can do.

Good luck if you go for it. Should be a crazy car if you can build it.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

never going to happen, period
Old 10-28-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

A 2009 car that needs a new $44,000 engine????? And they say imports are made better..............
Old 10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Eviltwin, you are probably correct. If it was known territory and budget then the chances would be much greater. We are having a terrible time swallowing 44k for the long block when the whole car was 73k. Kind of got us by the *****, so to speak. If anyone comes across a used motor for this car, let me know where! I think at this point it has been so frustrating it will just get fixed and sold. Thanks for everyones input.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by eviltwin_1987
never going to happen, period
Originally Posted by ls1nova71
A 2009 car that needs a new $44,000 engine????? And they say imports are made better..............

If you two don't have anything better to add to the thread, then please stay out of it. If you want to talk ****, go down to the street racing & racers lounge where you can do it all day long. This section is for conversion/hybrid discussions, not for bashing those that come in here looking for answers.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does it need the whole motor....you might be able to get the machine shop to redo what is bad in the motor...man for 44k I could have a badass turbo ls3 with trans and rear end in my 93 no problem...going much faster than the gtr and having a better time.

If I did the swap I would put ls3 in it with supporting mods, a t56, and get a driveshaft to the rearend custom made...that thing has to hold some kind of power.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:48 PM
Launching!

The engine block "lightened" itself so it is unbuildable. This motor only comes in this car, and you can only buy longblock. The closest engine is the g37 but it's not the same bore and would require an untold amount of work and even then wouldn't be as strong.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd say...no...

A car that has that much electronic BS on it is probably near undriveable without the computers.

I'm talking from a dynamics standpoint. I've instructed someone, on track, at speed in one of those, they are nearly impossible to lose.

Generally when they put that much into the driver assist when you turn them all off totally the car is undriveable.

Second, it already has a transaxle. The whole unit is in the rear and there are 2 driveshafts, one going from front to back, and another going from back to front.

Sucks because its probably one of the few cars that would be easier to retain the AWD.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

will keep my eyes open
Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Teching In

Haltech does standalone for this car now. Call them and see if the controller they have could deal with two additional injector and spark paths.
If it's as complex as other Haltech offerings, it would be seemingly doable.
Even if it was only equipped with six fuel/spark channels, you might be able to arrange them in some kind of batch fire/wasted spark system that could make it all work. It really depends on how much the rest of the car needs to know about the engine settings, and how much of those settings the haltech is/isn't capable of faking.

quick link of some features, shows promise:
http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...m-t275239.html

The platinum pro engine management software is seemingly downloadable from their website, Download it and see what it's got for control.

You may want to be careful how you word your queries to them. Asking if it will control a V8 will likely get you a no, but asking if the injector controllers have the strength to deal with more than one injector per driver(say its for "the look") may get you the info you're after.

Last edited by ace_xp2; 10-29-2009 at 04:07 AM.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:08 AM
Teching In

damn back button
Old 10-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Launching!

What happened to the engine? Why isn't it covered under the warranty?
Old 10-29-2009, 06:37 AM
Launching!

i cant get into specifics with the engine yet. once we have gotten the final answer in writing from the dealership that they will not cover it underwarranty the lawyers will get involved and threads will pop up everywhere. its like the kingsnake mustang, nissan is holding owners hostage and dramatically overcharging for items because its a "premium" car and they know you cant get the parts anywhere else.
Old 10-29-2009, 06:39 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An LS9 would rip that GTR trans a new one. I mean just think how they handle the OEM motor in that car now.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Launching!

i am not so sure about that sabre, this one made 550 hp at the wheels and handled it fine. i think what kills the tranny is the abuse from launch control that we NEVER used.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by up2nuthingud
i cant get into specifics with the engine yet. once we have gotten the final answer in writing from the dealership that they will not cover it underwarranty the lawyers will get involved and threads will pop up everywhere. its like the kingsnake mustang, nissan is holding owners hostage and dramatically overcharging for items because its a "premium" car and they know you cant get the parts anywhere else.
Thats the story of the Nissan GTR's life.

Everything is not covered under warranty. No matter what breaks they find an excuse not to cover it, Nissan sucks. And $44K for a long block?? What a joke. Its nothing more than a forged variation of the Nissan VQ thats in every damn Nissan ever built. No way its worth even 1/4 that much.

As for the swap, very interesting, but I think you will run into some serious headaches with wiring and powertrain control. Its easy enough to run the LSX with its own PCM and wiring harnesses, but I'm sure the GTR's PCM will go crazy without any input from an engine or various other components. So as to getting the gauges accessories and such to function, not sure how you'd go about that.

The Nissan trans also isn't going to take the torque output of the LS9 engine. Its a piece of **** trans to begin with, it has trouble dealing with even the stock V6's limited torque output. The LS9 makes 350ft/lbs at idle, it will tear that overcomputerized, underperforming trans to shreds. Same goes for the axles and differentials, no way they are going to hold up very long. Not saying its not worth a try, just be prepared with a backup plan for when things fail.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my vote? do it. if it's not a DD (which I'm sure it isn't), and you've got the time/patience, it would be a wicked swap. Buddy up with some techs @ nissan (which should be pretty easy considering you bought a GTR from them), get some info on the wiring/computer/drivetrain/etc., and learn some stuff. it may be stupid complex, but that's what the internet's for - finding information and passing it along.

you'd get stupid props if you could pull it off, although i'm sure the JDM guys wouldn't be too happy about it (even when they learned of the OEM power plant's fate).

Quick Reply: 09 nissan gtr, anyone heard of swap?