Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Nova LQ9 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to take a pic of them im assuming they are vacuum lines. Ill have to look tomorrow to know for sure. Does the hose to connect to brake booster come right off the intake?
Old 09-18-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Where did you get your CAI? What part number or application did you use?
Old 09-19-2013, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vacuum lines are hooked up. I think the brake booster one goes to the back of the intake.
The CAI is from a truck & had to be modified, so it may not work for you
Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by crosstraining
Vacuum lines are hooked up. I think the brake booster one goes to the back of the intake.
The CAI is from a truck & had to be modified, so it may not work for you
Well I'm about to put a 5.3 in my 72 Nova, so it might just work. Thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe the only vacuum line you need is for the brake booster (if you're running PB), which is on the backside of the intake manifold. The ports coming off the valve covers are PCV. One should be connected to the TB via a catch can. I'd recommending capping both VC nipples and running PCV through a Z06 valley cover to minimize oil consumption.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:55 PM
Launching!

I'm sorry I don't follow. Through a catch can? Can I just hook up pcv on back driverside head to passenger side port on throttle body?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 406chvycamaro
I'm sorry I don't follow. Through a catch can? Can I just hook up pcv on back driverside head to passenger side port on throttle body?
If you hook it up like the factory, as stated above, you will definitely pull oil into the intake. The oil that gets pulled into the intake will eventually make its way to the intake port and into the combustion chamber. The excessive oil will gum up the rings which in turn will cause blow by as the rings are now stuck in their respectful lands. Use an LS6 valley cover and plumb it into the passenger side intake behind the throttle body. Or use an LS6 valley cover in conjunction with a catch can. Fresh air to the passenger side valve cover via top port of throttle body.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tsnow678
If you hook it up like the factory, as stated above, you will definitely pull oil into the intake. The oil that gets pulled into the intake will eventually make its way to the intake port and into the combustion chamber. The excessive oil will gum up the rings which in turn will cause blow by as the rings are now stuck in their respectful lands. Use an LS6 valley cover and plumb it into the passenger side intake behind the throttle body. Or use an LS6 valley cover in conjunction with a catch can. Fresh air to the passenger side valve cover via top port of throttle body.
Can I modify an non-LS6 valley cover to work the same? Pipe fitting? PCV grommet?
Old 09-19-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ryanleiker
Can I modify an non-LS6 valley cover to work the same? Pipe fitting? PCV grommet?
Not sure. I know the LS6 has the baffling built into the underside. I would rather evacuate at the valley rather than the valve covers. Let me know how that works out. I think a new LS6 valley with a gasket is around $75-85.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Non-LS6 valley pan vs. LS6 valley pan, and LS6 valley pan top view. You could probably drill and modify yours, but note that the intake sits pretty low, so the pipe fitting would have to be low-profile.

Here's what happens if you plumb it through the driver's side VC like the factory. This was after maybe 1,000 miles - I had to change a knock sensor, the only reason I found it. For what it's worth, I'm not running a catch can, though I think it's a good idea.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was on my way to the biggest cruise in of the year when found a big puddle of gas under my fuel tank.
I found out it was leaking around the fuel sender, so I decided to replace the fuel tank, sender, & fuel lines.
I got a Canadian made reproduction tank & stuck with my inline pump. I replaced my WIX filter because I had an extra.
I did mostly nylon 3/8" fuel line, with some hard line where the bends were to sharp to bend the nylon line. I also used dorman quick connect fittings. mostly dorman 800-082 & some 90* dorman 086. these are steel to nylon quick connect fittings, & I like them so far.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Do you think you found your fuel odor issue? Glad to hear you got her back up and running. Nothing worse than a problem the day of an outing. Especially with fuel!
Old 09-23-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsnow678
Do you think you found your fuel odor issue? Glad to hear you got her back up and running. Nothing worse than a problem the day of an outing. Especially with fuel!
I hope so. When I finished I took it for a drive. There was some fuel odor when I got back, but I wonder if it was because of the fuel can I used to put some gas in. It was not as bad for sure, & later I shut the garage & there was no smell in the house last night or today. I am hopefull!!
Old 11-18-2013, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Cherokee Steering Gear, thoughts?

Hey Crosstraining, I am converting my 73’ Nova over to power steering right now and I’m planning to go the same route as you (GM truck pump, Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 gear, Nova linkage). How do you like the feel and response of that combo? I am trying to think ahead if I should include a flow reduction valve or drop the pressure. I am hoping to keep a good connection to the road, and avoid the over-assisted “1-finger steering” feeling. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
Hey Crosstraining, I am converting my 73’ Nova over to power steering right now and I’m planning to go the same route as you (GM truck pump, Grand Cherokee 12.7:1 gear, Nova linkage). How do you like the feel and response of that combo? I am trying to think ahead if I should include a flow reduction valve or drop the pressure. I am hoping to keep a good connection to the road, and avoid the over-assisted “1-finger steering” feeling. Thanks!
I like the combo for what I do, which is mostly weekend cruising. I have not gone to the track or anything. I like the GC steering box. It is a nice upgrade over the original.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awesome! Glad to hear you are enjoying that steering set up! Beautiful car man. So it's time for a turbo now right?

Quick Reply: 1972 Nova LQ9 swap