Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 vs L59 visual differences? E85

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default LM7 vs L59 visual differences? E85

I'm looking to do a budget 5.3L swap. However, 1st I need an engine. For various reasons I'm interested in the E85 ready motors. So as I understand it, I should pick an L59 instead of the standard LM7.
If I don't have access to the VIN or time to check w/ a dealer, how can I tell if a pulled engine is L59 instead of LM7? Any visual differences on the engine? I thought I recall something about different colors on the injectors, but that is all I can think of.

Thanks,
Morgan
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by y5e06
I'm looking to do a budget 5.3L swap. However, 1st I need an engine. For various reasons I'm interested in the E85 ready motors. So as I understand it, I should pick an L59 instead of the standard LM7.
If I don't have access to the VIN or time to check w/ a dealer, how can I tell if a pulled engine is L59 instead of LM7? Any visual differences on the engine? I thought I recall something about different colors on the injectors, but that is all I can think of.

Thanks,
Morgan
The injectors are the only visual differance unless they have a VIN form the donor truck. But it should be easy to convert a LM7 to L59. Should just need injectors and stainless fuel rails. A bigger fuel pump and a tune for the E85.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Teching In

so what is the difference in injector appearance? I know the flow ratings are different.

Also, I want a factory E85 setup as I don't necessarily want to confine myself ot only E85. If running factory stuff I can run any blend in between with the fancy schmancy sensor they use to determine the mixture.
Then of course, swapping injectors is an added cost to the project I can take care from the get-go w/ a proper engine selection.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Building it to be E85-compatible is a good idea, IMO. I wish that I'd made that more of a focus with my build - but hopefully all I'll need to do to make that a reality is swap out fuel lines, rails & maybe a few ancillary parts...

Good luck with the build, keep us posted, I'd like to see it come together.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM used two different methods for determining alcohol content in the fuel.

Most early systems, used a fuel composition sensor. This installed in the fuel lines, near the tank, and fed a constant signal to the PCM about fuel temp and alcohol percentage. These sensors are very expensive new, $600 range. Its a 3 wire sensor, 12v+, Ground, and signal to the PCM. The PCM has a table in it that is % Alcohol vs AFR. It goes from 0% to 100% and tells the PCM what AFR to shoot for depending on the alcohol content.

The later systems, did not directly measure alcohol content. It basically used an educated guess. The PCM would compare the fuel level at engine shut off and engine start up, and see if the fuel level had changed. If it did, it immediately looked at the oxygen sensor correction to see if there was a large change detected. If those two things happened, it can determine which fuel you filled up with, and by how many gallons. so, for this system, which I think is 2005+ SUV's, the PCM has to have a working fuel level sensor, and the capacity of the fuel tank programmed into the PCM.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by busta9876
GM used two different methods for determining alcohol content in the fuel.

Most early systems, used a fuel composition sensor. This installed in the fuel lines, near the tank, and fed a constant signal to the PCM about fuel temp and alcohol percentage. These sensors are very expensive new, $600 range. Its a 3 wire sensor, 12v+, Ground, and signal to the PCM. The PCM has a table in it that is % Alcohol vs AFR. It goes from 0% to 100% and tells the PCM what AFR to shoot for depending on the alcohol content.

The later systems, did not directly measure alcohol content. It basically used an educated guess. The PCM would compare the fuel level at engine shut off and engine start up, and see if the fuel level had changed. If it did, it immediately looked at the oxygen sensor correction to see if there was a large change detected. If those two things happened, it can determine which fuel you filled up with, and by how many gallons. so, for this system, which I think is 2005+ SUV's, the PCM has to have a working fuel level sensor, and the capacity of the fuel tank programmed into the PCM.
Wow. Guess I won't be doing THAT any time in the near future... Great info though, thank you for posting that busta!
Old 11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
Teching In

ah, thanks for the info Busta. I didn't realize the later versions changed. I do plan to incorporate the E85 flexibility somehow. I was expecting to just incorporate the factory sensor from the pulled engine within the swap.
One thing I think I've picked up, at least it appears on the earlier 5.3's, is the LM7 vehicles have an eighth digit 'T' while the L59 are 'Z'. So if I know the vin it should be easier. I'm not 100% on that but something to look into more.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by y5e06
ah, thanks for the info Busta. I didn't realize the later versions changed. I do plan to incorporate the E85 flexibility somehow. I was expecting to just incorporate the factory sensor from the pulled engine within the swap.
One thing I think I've picked up, at least it appears on the earlier 5.3's, is the LM7 vehicles have an eighth digit 'T' while the L59 are 'Z'. So if I know the vin it should be easier. I'm not 100% on that but something to look into more.
You are correct on the VIN #. The L59 injectors have a square connector (rounded corners) and the LM7 injectors are more rectangle in shape.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC Flex Fuel injectors are Denso and non-flex fuel are Delphi. It should be stamped with either on the side.

Quick Reply: LM7 vs L59 visual differences? E85