Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyota Pickup LSX Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toyota Pickup LSX Swap

Looking for more info if any on a lsx swap into a 94 toyota pickup 2wd. i was wanting to do a 5.3 with a t56. I did a search and didnt really find any good pics of the swap. Any info with pics would help. Thanks
Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

that should be a pretty intresting swap, haha it would one hell of a sleeper. you could prob keep your stock rearend. just get a lsd for it or you could weld it up if you want. i do know they are some strong rearends.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Teching In

if i was to change the rear i was going to use a mustang 8.8. the factory rear is really stong though. i will wiegh my options. i have been wanting to da a lsx swap for a few years now and am about to sell my mustang to fund the swap. the swap is going to happen just need to figure a few things out before i dive it to it.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm almost have my '89 (same gen as the '94) on the road... gto ls1/6speed swap.

I've only seen pics of one guy that has one on the road... but nothing to work from.

Answers to the hard questions

Use modified F-body exhaust manifolds.
I used a H3 oil pan, but need to relocate my sway bar. I understand that the F-body oil pan works w/o relocating the bar, but wanted the h3 pan... not really sure why at this point.
New engine mounts welded to the frame
Corvette rubber mounts
C4 Radiator + 2 10" fans... still can't confirm this will be enough to keep it cool... getting that far this or next weekend.
A mix of GTO power steering hose w/ a flared end going into the steering box.
Alt' relocation kit
For me I used the GTO slave cylinder for the clutch, right now if *feels* right, but w/o my drive shaft done I have no way to really test it.

It's to the point now I should start getting some pics of it.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
I'm almost have my '89 (same gen as the '94) on the road... gto ls1/6speed swap.

I've only seen pics of one guy that has one on the road... but nothing to work from.

Answers to the hard questions

Use modified F-body exhaust manifolds.
I used a H3 oil pan, but need to relocate my sway bar. I understand that the F-body oil pan works w/o relocating the bar, but wanted the h3 pan... not really sure why at this point.
New engine mounts welded to the frame
Corvette rubber mounts
C4 Radiator + 2 10" fans... still can't confirm this will be enough to keep it cool... getting that far this or next weekend.
A mix of GTO power steering hose w/ a flared end going into the steering box.
Alt' relocation kit
For me I used the GTO slave cylinder for the clutch, right now if *feels* right, but w/o my drive shaft done I have no way to really test it.

It's to the point now I should start getting some pics of it.

Sweet! Can't wait to see some pics. Main things i am worried about are were the shifter is going to come up in the floor, and how its going to sit on the factory trans cross member (since it is welded in and holds the torsion bars).
Old 11-05-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shifter is way back from factory, you will have to get some bucket seats if you don't already have them.

It's pretty easy, was, to fab out a simple tranny mount that bolts into the original holes.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Teching In

cool. i am going to do some MR2 Spyder seats.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:17 PM
On The Tree

mr2 seats wil fit???

Well, i put Rear GTO seats into my s10~ so you can make anything fit if you're a good fabricator
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey both of you guys should post some pics. I always thought this would be a good swap.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Default toyota stuff

I have had 13 or 14 Toyotas now, from stock to full out Crawlers-
Most 2wd's have a 7.5" rearend drop out, where the 4wd stuff is 8". The 8" stuff would be plenty strong for you on the street w/the build that you have going on. You can put the 8" dropout in your housing, and the best part is most of them are 4.11's (of all the trucks/parts Ive gone through, Ive only come across one drop out that was something like a 3.89 or 3.90). I ran a welded rear on the street/trails w/38's for about 50k, plenty strong. Same era 4runners though had LSDs, and the newer ones had the selectable locker is like a spool when its engaged, and an open carrier when not engaged. There is a little bit of wiring to get it to work, but again, very strong. A friend of mine had a TRD supercharged 'Taco, that was in the 11's on 37" MTR's. 5k, 4wd launches all the time!!!!!!! One down side is that I cant remember/know for sure if the shafts are the same, 4wd are 6 lug, 2wd being the 5 lug.
As far as seats go, a decent looking "direct" bolt in thats pretty cheap is seats from a early '90s Civic. Ive ran them in a couple truck that Ive had......
I just recently sold my Crawler, but have pics on my phone if you wanna see what they look like installed-
Jeremy
Old 02-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Bump for the exact same curiousity. I've had a strong desire to do this the last couple weeks.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

sounds cool...but i have a 94 toyota 4 cylinder 5 speed and the 4 cylinder rear ends are JUNK! i have ben through 3 and on the 4th i put a V6 rear out of another 2 wheel drive and problem solved... the V6 2 wheel drive rear ends have the same third member as a 4 wheel drive
Old 03-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Launching!

resurrection time looking to do this swap in my 'yoter any other info??
Old 09-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by O Holy P
resurrection time looking to do this swap in my 'yoter any other info??

Not the best pic but mines a 94 with 4.8 a lot of work goes into it with being a yota if you want everything to clear
Old 10-07-2016, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

Bumpin' again. I'm about to start working on a very similar build with my '95 Yota 2WD. It's a manual steering truck, so that's one less accessory I have to deal with. I'm thinking of keeping A/C though, and would like to run some headers if I can, but I'm not going to lose sleep if I can't. Any updates on any of these builds?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:34 PM
Teching In

Bumping this topic again............
I also am working on a very similar build as this, my truck is an 86 though. One of the things that I may trouble with is the steering, are there any suggestions
for an oil pan.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:29 AM

I'll be following as well. Just picked up a little pre runner project, also have a 427 being build by MLRE for the little truck. 22re and 5 speed will go to be replaced by 427 na w/th400.

Im sure the engine can shoehorn into the caged bay, my worry is the tunnel accommodating the 400, doubtful it will but time and cutting will reveal.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:57 AM

Default LS swap Tacoma - bump

Hey all, I'm looking / in the planning stages of doing a 6 Liter LQ4 Motor swap in my 2004 Tacoma. Was wondering if ANYONE had info on a first gen Tacoma, 1999-2004, swapped to an LS. Also, it's 2wd, I'm looking to convert to 4wd. Need a transmission with driver side drop. Anyone heard of such a build? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Toyota Pickup LSX Swap