Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to perform LSX swap on a budget...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Trying to perform LSX swap on a budget...

As bad as it might sound I'm trying to keep the price at around $2,500

I have a 2002 Pontiac Firebird V6.

The mechanic says he can do it all for around $2,500 however he is going to keep my stock K-Member, tap and drill into the motor mounts and what not. He also is going to keep my front suspension and I don't know if thats a good idea. He said he's done it several times before and it turns out fine but I am likely going to supply him with a Z28 K-Member and Z28 Shocks/Springs at the very least... He also says he CAN use my 2002 A4 Transmission, I just cant always be mean to it ... Otherwise a new A4 is likely ganna cost around $900...

I have two motor choices, one being a 5.3L LMZ and the other being a 6.0L LQ4.

The 5.3L is priced at $900 but since its the mechanic's motor, it will save me $150 in labor...

The 6.0L is priced at $700 but add $150 in labor.
------------

I need to know first, can I reuse the 5.3's or 6.0's wiring harness and just buy the PCM from an 02 FBody?

------------

The prices I've come up with so far

LQ4 Motor - $700
Labor - $850
Accessory Brackets - $70
PCM - $90
Wiring Harness - $350 ??? Where can I find one for these cars cheaper?
Intake Manifold - $400
Corvette Fuel Rails - ??? (need for return lines, where can I find this and what year LSX Corvettes have them?)
Radiator - $55
Transmission - $900 (Used only if I decide not to reuse my stock trans)
--------------

Exhaust

Headers - $225
True Duals - $350
Hi Flo Cats - $80

---------------

Suspension

Front Shocks - $100
Front Springs - $80
K-Member - $125
Strut tower - $75
Sway Bars - $50

---------------

Is there any way I can save a bit on costs and still have a drive able car with no SES? If I keep my V6 suspension, how will it handle during daily driving?

This btw does not add up to $2,500 - it's much more, thats why Im trying to figure out how to do it for less.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Kmember with the steering rack on it from a V8 car. You can use the V6 susp.

As for the wiring harness and computer just make sure that you get them from the same car so you know that it will work. If you start getting different years, you may run into problem with different pins in the pcm. So just look for a wiring harness, and pcm from the same vehicle.

Your V6 trans will not work with the V8. They are totally different, and the bell housing won't bolt to the v8. You will also need the trans crossmember from a v8 car also to work with the v8 4l60e trans.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wiring Harness - $350 ??? Where can I find one for these cars cheaper?
- You can get a custom made harness from Techrods on ebay that will be custom made to your swap, if you planned on already spending the 350 the techrods one is right around that price and all done for you.

Intake Manifold - $400
You can source out a stock ls1 manifold for much much cheaper. Probably 100 bucks max if you take your time to find a deal here on the classifieds.

There is one way to make things easier and one way to save a few hundred bucks....
Old 11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

I do these swaps daily.

My advice...sell the car and buy an LS1 car.

Much cheaper in the long run....or....do it your way and look back afterwards and wish you would have listened. I'm sure others will agree. You can pick up decent LS cars for 6k
Old 11-10-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am no expert but I think the v6 suspension will do fine since the 3.8 is a cast iron block just like the lq4/lq9.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I do these swaps daily.

Much cheaper in the long run....or....do it your way and look back afterwards and wish you would have listened. I'm sure others will agree. You can pick up decent LS cars for 6k
I agree, but if you insist on doing the swap, I think I may pick the engine with less miles, since they're pretty much the same.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeanYellowZ
I do these swaps daily.

I have to agree, I just helped a friend who bought a 02 V-6 for $3,500 and a wrecked 00 Z28 for $3,500, I helped with the swap, which was relatively simple, but by the time we were all done he had close to $8K in a bastardized car that will never be worth anything. I bought my 2000 SS for $7,800
Old 11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

eh, there's no LS cars for $6k in my area at all, they're still in the $10k range here. I could search outside the state but I don't think it would really be any more reliable at this point as they're all used and have high milage and have been beaten on so I'll likely be replacing drive train stuff anyway where as all this is new, relatively new, or not a wear item.

6.0L LQ4 Motor $700
PCM $100
Wiring Harness $250
Accessory Brackets $70
Intake Manifold $100
160 Thermostat $10
Radiator $55
Intake LID $90
7R400 Transmission $550

Long Tube Headers $155 ((Got a deal))
X-Pipe & True Duals $350 ((been quoted this at exhaust shop))
High Flow Cats $80

K-Member $125

Total cost for Parts $2,645

Labor - $700

Total Swap Price $3,345
Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.. If you have the time and there are sources locally, you get your project done on a budget..Just have to spend the time and know how to deal and trade. One of the best ways is to find a wrecked donner, pull what you need for the swap and sell of the rest for parts funds..
Also, if you don't go for all of the Costly Bing Bing and over rated performace parts, you can keep the cost down. skip the costly AN and SS hose, chrome or billet parts, just clean up the old factory parts and paint them..

I picked up wrecked 02 Z28 w/LS1 and A4 for $1750.. I have not started my project, but have been selling off the parts and my net output as of right now is less than $700 and still recovering more $$$ as we speak. So.. I have a free motor, trans, brakes and misc parts for my next swap starting next year (71 Nova).

I still have some major parts to sell of to get more project/swap money (I still have the seats, some interior, k-member and the rear end to sell off, got a add in the for sale section if anyone is interested in parts.) or might used some more of them..

so, by the time i start the project in the late winter, my project will be starting in the negative cost column (hehe), now that is the budget swap ! and if I fab up the mounts like I did on my chevelle.. that will cut some more cost ...!

Good luck.. and keep us posted on the Budget !
Old 11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Search around for a TH400 if you can't use your stock trans. I found my TH400 for $600. Definitely have to get an LS1 k-member. As far as the engine goes, I don't understand why the 6.0 costs more money in labor. 5.3 and 6.0 are pretty similar for a swap.

As for the PCM/wiring harness, you will need new gauges from the year PCM. Make sure the sensors are from the same year too, and that will be fairly easy.

Also, keep in mind you may have to get a new driveshaft too, if you're changing the engine and transmission. I've done the LS1 swap in my 93 v6 Camaro, and there is NO WAY I could have used my v6 driveshaft.

And you may be able to use your radiator. If it's the same part number as an LT1 radiator, use it. I used an LT1 radiator on mine.

I won't lie to you though, my swap cost a lot for me. But that's because I tried doing everything without a donor car. THANK THE GODS OF THE LS1 that the aftermarket is insane for these cars!!!

If you have a donor car, this will be much easier and far less painless. Pm me if you have any questions; I'll be happy to help.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Your best bet is a donor F-body with an LS1

By the time you make a truck motor look like an LS1, you could have bought an LS1. You have to replace the water pump, oil pan, oil pick-up, dampner, tensioner,idler, alternator and brackets, ac compressor and brackets, intake, power steering pump, throttle body, injectors, and fuel rails with F-body parts You will have to modify the harness to fit the LS1 injectors too. You should be running a 4L60e instead of hobbling a nice engine with a transmission you have to baby. You should have an F-body radiator and dual fan setup too

$2500 wouldn't even pay for the parts much less the labor.

Buy a donor car, strip off the parts you don't need and sell them to recoup some of your investment as was previously suggested. Do the labor yourself.

Run the stock exhaust system until you can afford a good set of headers and a nice exhaust. Take the whole fuel system including the tank and pump off of the donor car.

Otherwise you will be so upside down in this thing you will never recover
Old 12-21-2009, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember everything always costs twice as much and takes twice as long as you originally estimate, trust me I know this.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TransAmatt99
Just remember everything always costs twice as much and takes twice as long as you originally estimate, trust me I know this.
x2 on the above.. Very rarely does it fall in line with initial estimates..

Plus there are always incidentals that add up like belts, sensors, hoses, fluids and fasteners...

I see that one item for your rationale for discounting a whole car purchase was the thrash factor
But don’t forget a donor motor can be thrashed just the same so keep that in mind with regard to buying the whole enchilada..

At least with a car that’s in tact you can drive it and have some idea of what you’re in for..

Also don’t forget to add the initial cost of the V6 car in this venture and as one other has said the net worth of a bastardized vehicle as it aint much..

Since my vehicle is unique, in that it never came with state of the art performance, fuel economy, and twice the power along with not being so rare,( so it didnt break the bank in the initial purchase).. I will at least be able to recover what I have in it.

But hey!! To each his own!!

Quick Reply: Trying to perform LSX swap on a budget...