Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 Swap - What to keep from donor truck?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 Swap - What to keep from donor truck?

Its been a long time since I posted here, but I am finally (after a couple years), getting a motor for my car. I have a complete 02 Silverado 2500HD, that I will be pulling the engine & trans from to swap into my 70 Chevelle. I want to make sure I get everything I need from the truck before I get rid of it. From what I can think of, I need the complete motor & trans of course, Engine harness & PCM. What else should I take? Do I need the cats/O2 sensors? Also I want to have an OBD2 port in my car, should I take the one from the truck and if so, how much of it do I take out? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 11-10-2009, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I would grab the fuel system (pump, sender, lines, etc.). Regarding the DLC just cut as much as you can from it and then repin it when you swap the harness.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a very common question that gets asked very offen. Suggest you use the Search on your question.

But the short of it.. everything that is connected to the engine (front acc, wiring, pcm, hoses and lines, etc) and anything you might want to uses (radiator, cooler, lines, etc). If you have to be Smog compliant, then you also have to use all of the smog equipement (EGR, AIR, Fuel Tank sensors, EVAP, etc).
Old 11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I've searched the forum a lot in the past and found some great stuff so I had a pretty good idea of what I need. Figured I would throw up a new post to see if anyone had some fresh insight and reintroduce my project. Good point about the SMOG stuff, luckily we dont have to worry about it yet anyway.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM
Staging Lane

im doing the same swap on my 69 chevelle!
just a few things you might think about if you havent found them out already:
-the oil pan may have clearance issues with your frame and/or ground
there is lots of info on this and you can either buy or modify your oil pan to fit
-the frame has to be notched for the accessory drive and the steering column may get in the way of the power steering pump. Or kwik performance has brackets to move the accessories out of the way
-not positive but the truck intake may have hood clearance issues
-you can either make your own engine brackets or there are companies that make them.

your engine is throttle by cable right?
Old 11-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks, yes the motor is a drive by cable. I was thinking about hood clearance too, I have the domed hood, so I am thinking it will be alright. I think the LQ4 is a good choice for the chevelles!

Quick Reply: LQ4 Swap - What to keep from donor truck?