Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug and play L92...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plug and play L92...

does anyone know where to get a stand alone harness for the L92 motor configuration? Im trying to find one that needs little to no modification to work right out of the box, but expect 2 problems; the first that im switching to a cable driven throttle body and the second is im going to be using an older ECM since ive eliminated the the VVT. Maybe there is another truck motor stand alone harness that will plug directly in? any suggestion are much appreciated! Its going into a 1984 s-10 with no electronics other than whats needed for the motor, so one of the hot rod stand alones could work?
Old 11-19-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So it is a 6.2L engine with a cable TB?
Sounds like you just need a basic LS truck harness, with a TRG module to convert the Crank and Cam sensors for the old computer to run it.

Nothing special.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

There are a few guys selling standalone harnesses for under 500 bucks on ebay. Is it a 24x?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the L92 didn't even come out until '07, so it's well into the 58x range. What you're talking about now (after removing the DBW & VVT) is pretty much just an ordinary LS-series swap. And no offense, but removing the VVT is retarded.
Old 11-19-2009, 07:14 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There are a few E38 58X Standalone harnesses out there. I agree, stay with the 58x setup, why go backwards.

Your Source for LSX Conversion Parts!
www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

'Dont Let EFI Pass You By!'
Old 11-19-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
No, the L92 didn't even come out until '07, so it's well into the 58x range. What you're talking about now (after removing the DBW & VVT) is pretty much just an ordinary LS-series swap. And no offense, but removing the VVT is retarded.
ya removing the vvt was retarded. I should have bought another VVT cam to replace the damaged one and I shouldnt even put the turbo on it. And i should sell the forged rods and pistons.In fact, im going to buy an escalade with a blown motor and put my motor in it This thing will make more power than I need pretty much everywhere in the power band, im over everyone swinging on VVTs nuts and gas mileage means absolutely nothing to me before you go down that road....
Old 11-19-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by juced211s
There are a few E38 58X Standalone harnesses out there. I agree, stay with the 58x setup, why go backwards.
Im just torn between these 2 problems; if I use a E38 stand alone harness, ill have to re-pin it for the older computer, and if I use a non-vvt truck harness, ill have to move the knock sensor wires, and i believe change some other plugs, correct?
Old 11-20-2009, 11:05 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

You are correct there are a few connectors that must be replaced. Why dont you just run the E38 PCM?????

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-20-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

You are correct there are a few connectors that must be replaced. Why dont you just run the E38 PCM?????
I thought it couldnt be used if I elmininted the throttle by wire and VVT? when I first started researching when I bought this thing I was told if I got rid of those 2 things I couldnt use that PCM for some reason, so I was going to run an older one with a reluctor convertor
Old 11-21-2009, 06:01 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

My bad. Missed the throttle by wire part. That is correct. Now for another question, why get rid of the throttle by wire? no tac module required and simple 6-pin connector for the pedal.

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

My bad. Missed the throttle by wire part. That is correct. Now for another question, why get rid of the throttle by wire? no tac module required and simple 6-pin connector for the pedal.
well, it was suggested by a company I was talking to about a stand alone harness that I not use the TBW set up. They said with as old as my truck was it wouldnt be a good idea, which didnt really make sense to me, but ive just kinda rolled with it.
On the other hand, I wanted to use the TBW after being told it would work better for idle and driveability as a result of the faster operating PCM. Im definitly not opposed to it, just want to hear if there is any reason why I shouldnt. Can you just eliminate the VVT in the E38 PCM or what?
Old 11-21-2009, 11:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Not sure about elimating the VVT. Someone else?

Regarding the DBW, I cannot see a good reason for eliminating it unless you have a setup that requires the tac module and pedal and you dont have either and cost is an issue. But the nice thing about the E38 is you dont need a tac module and the pedals can be purchased through GM for less than $100. As far as keeping the DBW reason is the E38 requires it.

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-21-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

well ill keep watching this for some more opinions *bump * I have a little time before I need to purchase this stuff I guess...
Old 11-21-2009, 05:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

By the way, if you went with an older PCM, how would you convert the 58x to a 24x crank signal?

www.psiconversion.com

Ebay Store
Facebook/psiconversion
Instagram/psiconversion

Old 11-21-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

By the way, if you went with an older PCM, how would you convert the 58x to a 24x crank signal?
lingenfelter sells a convertor.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Just get the GMPP LS3 harness. You may have to lengthen some wires and change a couple of plugs. It uses the E67 ECU, but I am not sure if it will allow you to retain the VVT. I used the same harness on my L92, but I converted mine to use the LS3 intake and eliminated the VVT. My main reason for getting rid of the VVT was to use the Corvette accessory drive. Details in my build thread. Link in sig.

Andrew
Old 11-22-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Just get the GMPP LS3 harness. You may have to lengthen some wires and change a couple of plugs. It uses the E67 ECU, but I am not sure if it will allow you to retain the VVT. I used the same harness on my L92, but I converted mine to use the LS3 intake and eliminated the VVT. My main reason for getting rid of the VVT was to use the Corvette accessory drive. Details in my build thread. Link in sig.

Andrew
great, ill look into it, thanks for the info
Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Regular

Not sure about elimating the VVT. Someone else?

Regarding the DBW, I cannot see a good reason for eliminating it unless you have a setup that requires the tac module and pedal and you dont have either and cost is an issue. But the nice thing about the E38 is you dont need a tac module and the pedals can be purchased through GM for less than $100. As far as keeping the DBW reason is the E38 requires it.
What is the TAC module btw?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

well I just had a moment of clarity and remembered another reason why I didnt want the throttle by wire; im going to be running a TH350 and didnt want to run a MVB, and I dont think there is any way to set up a kick down cable on TBW... Or is there?
Old 11-23-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like you should talk to a few other harness companies and get some different opinions about what will and won't work.

Quick Reply: Plug and play L92...