Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

baltimore area guys that have swaps on the road

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default baltimore area guys that have swaps on the road

Where did you do your inspections? I'm getting a few weeks away from that point and would like to have as little hassle as possible. I'm not looking for a free pass, just don't like the idea of taking all of my hard work to joe blow on the corner and hope for the best.

Thank you for any and all help.

RvP
Old 11-20-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your car is more than 25 years old you can get historic plates. That way you don't need an inspection. Plates are only something like $35 a year too.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

not sure what year your working with, but sounds like it is newer-if emissions is what your concerned about, even after inspection, you can get hit with a vis insp at the emissions station-some co's in Md i think still dont do emission testing
Old 11-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It's a 1989 Toyota Pickup. I was hoping some of the Miata guys would know... IIRC there are a few around here. I'm more concerned w/ the the State mechanical inspection. Everything is up to snuff, I just don't need someone seeing a V8 in there and then just saying "you can't do that" w/o thought.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should have got the thing tagged before you did the swap.

Wish I knew a place, but like I said I have historic plates. My suggestion is to go to a few local shops before hand and ask if the motor will be a problem. My experience with MD inspections is it is just a way for local shops to earn a few buck aligning your headlights and replacing your wiper blades. As long as they can make a few bucks on nusiance repairs like that they will probably let you by.

When I started my swap I called several state agencies cause I wanted to do it legally. I got a different answer from every place I called. VIEP said they have no rules about older cars, to just call the state police cause they administer the inspection rules. When I called the state police they said to just get historic plates and not worry about it. From what I can tell it is hard to find a correct answer.

Good thing is once the inspection is done and you have your plates you never have to go through it again.

The every other year smog tests are another matter. Not sure what it will take to get through those.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
It's a 1989 Toyota Pickup. I was hoping some of the Miata guys would know... IIRC there are a few around here. I'm more concerned w/ the the State mechanical inspection. Everything is up to snuff, I just don't need someone seeing a V8 in there and then just saying "you can't do that" w/o thought.
You're probably talking about me. I've got an '01 Miata with an '02 LS6. I haven't had it inspected yet because I'm dealing with a starter issue. I should have it settled within 2 weeks (hopefully this weekend) and get it to the local place and see if it'll pass. I'll let you know. They were easier than another place I've been to for inspection with regards to my window tint.

I remember to respond again when I get to that point. The car was almost ready to go until this start issue came up so I'm close.

Frank
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Launching!

(Off topic) I wonder how many lsx conversions we have in the local area. It would be cool to try to get some "lsx conversion" gatherings going to see what all people have around here. I'm seriously considering dropping an LS1 into my 79 Firebird.
My Firebird has Historic plates so no inspection/emission issue there.
My '99 Z28 has LT's, ORY, Magnaflow cat-back. The VEIP that I take it to has never done visual inspection (knock on wood). They just plug in the OBD2 and as long as there are no codes, it passes.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CavPat
(Off topic) I wonder how many lsx conversions we have in the local area. It would be cool to try to get some "lsx conversion" gatherings going to see what all people have around here. I'm seriously considering dropping an LS1 into my 79 Firebird.
My '99 Z28 has LT's, ORY, Magnaflow cat-back. The VEIP that I take it to has never done visual inspection (knock on wood). They just plug in the OBD2 and as long as there are no codes, it passes.
So you go to the VEIP local to you (GB)? I've never even seen 'em use the mirror. I'm right up the street in Severn off of Quarterfield so I'm real close to you.

Frank
Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by fmowry
So you go to the VEIP local to you (GB)? I've never even seen 'em use the mirror. I'm right up the street in Severn off of Quarterfield so I'm real close to you.

Frank
Did you find starter?
I'm plan on coming down that way on friday night, i could bring one along for you to try. Email me through the forum if you want me to bring it. I'll be a couple of blocks from the VEIP, at Cromwell Gardens or Court, what ever they call that place
Old 11-26-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CavPat

I have one in Gaithersburg. It's historic as well, so no help to the OP
Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

In MD if your car is prior to '96 then they will want to put it on the rollers and do a tail pipe sniff test. If '96 or later than they will expect to connect to the OBD II port and check for codes. As for MD car inspection, if the car is not stock (stock engine, stock tires +2 max, stock exhaust type system, stock brakes, etc., then an inspection station cannot legally pass the car for inspection. Its a serious pain in the butt!
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Did you find starter?
I'm plan on coming down that way on friday night, i could bring one along for you to try. Email me through the forum if you want me to bring it. I'll be a couple of blocks from the VEIP, at Cromwell Gardens or Court, what ever they call that place
Sorry I missed this. I did get a starter this weekend from Beltsville recyclers.

Installed it but wasn't able to work on the car as the battery was low.

Frank
Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fmowry

Frank
Ya, I go to this one:

Anne Arundel County, North
721 E. Ordnance Road
Curtis Bay, MD 21226 (Glen Burnie)
(Curtis Business Center, across from Army Reserve Center)

I've only been there once with the Camaro, and like I said, all they did was plug in the OBD2. No codes = Pass
Old 12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 228 Likes on 161 Posts

just a thought, if your keeping the computer, and have the OBD2 plug, it might pass emissions, and maybe pass a safety insp.
go around to a few shops, talk to an inspector who might be pretty cool,
if the "visual" looks good, not something where a state cop would stop you for, you might get lucky-most guys dont want to lose their lic. over a few bucks
your close to 20 years old, not sure if its 20 or 25 for antq. tags, ck the MVA website, you might get lucky
Old 12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

RvP,
Did the car ever have plates in your name? My Miata was registered by me before the swap. It failed emissions (turbo stuff and some error codes). That's when I decided to do the swap. I used up my emissions extensions so I turned the tags into the DMV. They said I can re-tag it without getting another safety inspection.

Frank
Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It has/had temp plates last year. But has never actually been inspected in MD.

Also, thanks, forcd ind, for reminding me... it's 20 years for MD. And I have seen one or two older 'yotas around here w/ those plates. The only thing I don't really care for are the restrictions... but ah... I can deal w/ it to get my project on the road.

Thanks for all of the input!
Old 12-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

veip no longer has rollers so pre 96 get a idle test. As far as inspection rules can vary from one man to another as far as what he sees and what another guy sees. Keep in mind this is a saftey inspection. No where does is say you cant have a motor swap. However if you do you need all emmissions equipment to function properly. You need your speedo to work and motor mounts done right.

(A) CATALYTIC CONVERTER
(B) POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION
(C) AIR INJECTION SYSTEM
(D) EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION SYSTEM
(E) EVAPORATIVE EMISSIONS SYSTEM

all of the above needs to be there and need to work.

Quick Reply: baltimore area guys that have swaps on the road